Dominican Blowouts every wk; Too much??

ttlayli

For the past two weeks, I have been going to the dominican salon, every week for a rollerset and blowout. Beforehand, I prepoo with Amla oil (the night before) and DC with a mixture of my fave dominican conditions, and steam my hair for about 40 mins (right before I go to the salon). My hair always feels feels soft and healthy from the salon, but you never know. Is it possible to get away with going to the salons that often, with the regimen I have now, or am I just setting myself up for a setback?? BTW, I hope to get to waist one day....

BostonMaria

The deep conditioning you're doing is great and will help prevent heat damage. I would say go to the salon once in a while. You can duplicate the rollersetting at home and save money.

Covergirl5906

yea I think it's too much...they use entirely too much heat...maybe you can just have them blow out your roots only...I personally wouldn't get my hair blown out every week...

*fabulosity*

I don't think so; I go every week. I mean heat is not going to destroy your hair as long as you are taking care of it. I am never going to be one of those folks that never puts heat on their hair to make it grow...because when it's grown to my goal length; I'm going to want to wear it down andthat's going to require heat. As long as you're not using heat at home... and the stylist is taking care of it with a protectant and not a lot of 500 degree temperature...I see nothing wrong with it.

TexturedTresses

I think once a month might be okay. But blow outs are a lot of stress on the hair. the brush and the high heat with the pulling and tugging. It would thin out most peope's hair. When I did it regularly, my hair did get thinner and my hair at the crown broke off. the stylist told me it was because of the blowouts. Personally, I think it might be okay to flat iron once a week with a quality flatiron, but I don't know about a blowout. hth.

titan

Your sure do alot to your pretty hair, that is way to much styling manipulation for me. :nono: I can't believe you go through all of that before you go the salon.

Dposh167

a blow dry ....is a blow dry.....is a blow dry. whether its from a salon, or your home. i think its damaging every week

envybeauty

a blow dry ....is a blow dry.....is a blow dry. whether its from a salon, or your home. i think its damaging every week

a dominican blowOUT is different from a blow dry that most women do at home. IMO.

the amount of heat that they use is WAY more and more directly applied to the hair with the use of a nozzle pressed against the hair shaft.

gymfreak336

a dominican blowOUT is different from a blow dry that most women do at home. IMO.

the amount of heat that they use is WAY more and more directly applied to the hair with the use of a nozzle pressed against the hair shaft.

The first time I had one, I thought the devil was tap dancing on my scalp :lol: They put the nozzle directly on that bad boy. Then they pull that brush through it hard as heck. Not to mention that you usually have already been under a hot dryer with rollers. Too much heat. I don't care if you have dipped your whole head in a tub of silicone. Its still too much.

OP, maybe you can alternate your blowouts with something else.

crlsweetie912

The first time I had one, I thought the devil was tap dancing on my scalp :lol: They put the nozzle directly on that bad boy. Then they pull that brush through it hard as heck. Not to mention that you usually have already been under a hot dryer with rollers. Too much heat. I don't care if you have dipped your whole head in a tub of silicone. Its still too much.

OP, maybe you can alternate your blowouts with something else.

Girl, the DESCRIPTION! Me too. I had one about 2 weeks ago and I mean that heat was HOT!:burn: :gotroasted: :burning:
And then this lady says about my 6 week post hair "ooh mami you need perm"
:rolleyes:
I have only been twice, and for the life of me I can't figure out why I went this last time. I hated it.

gymfreak336

Girl, the DESCRIPTION! Me too. I had one about 2 weeks ago and I mean that heat was HOT!:burn: :gotroasted: :burning:
And then this lady says about my 6 week post hair "ooh mami you need perm"
:rolleyes:
I have only been twice, and for the life of me I can't figure out why I went this last time. I hated it.

I will never get one again. It is just too much. I love the swang but my head hurts for a week afterwards. I just can't do it. I can get my hair straight and soft by just air drying it and working my Solia through.

yuriko

it depends on your hair type, some people can take it, some can't. My hair personally can't deal with all that heat, and the stress of the brush. Several friends of mine were in the habit of getting these dominican blowouts all the time, and it looked good at first, but a few years, their hair thinned and became dry and damaged.
I would try every two weeks or once a month

Covergirl5906

yep and I've never seen smoke coming from my dryers when used at home...the two times I've ever had a blow out there was so much smoke coming from the dryers in the salon that they had to open the door to let it out...something clearly isn't right about that picture....

locabouthair

I know some women who go there and get there hair blown every single time. I'll admit their hair does look healthy but I still think its damaging.

bellebebe

Umm... going to hell once is enough lol. I LOVE DOMINICAN blowouts but that blow dryer is... WOW! don't put your hair in that much stress girl. I looks great but it's too much heat to handle.

Tarae

Do you NEED the blow out so often? I can't take it ever so I don't get it done. It's too hot. I know my sister gets it when she's far far along in her stretch so she gets the roots only.

But most women I see getting it don't need it, and they get it root to tip. I don't know how anyone can stand it. That heat is straight torture.

MissNina

Libra Girl
The heat was only really bad for me the first couple of times I got it and then I guess I got used to it. Certain spots hurt a lot, but for the most part I'm good. A lil uncomfy but not bad at all.

I also agree getting it every week is too much. It can't help but thin your hair out over some months time. I don't even see why you would NEED to get it that often, b/c when I wrap my hair it lasts about a good 2 weeks. I vote once a month, wrap it every night, try to keep the style for 2 weeks and then do your own rollerset the remainder of the month.

cocoaluv

I used to do this and I wouldnt suggest doing it at all as often because it does burn/irritate your scalp. Nowadays I dont ask for a blow out till I'm 6 weeks and beyond because I just ask them to wrap it up and pin it so I can go home and style it myself ( i dont like the way they style...all i need them to do for me really is rollerset me and pin me up when I'm done).

BSL2008

I hate to admit it, but I think my already fine hair may have thinned out because of Dominican Blowouts. I would go every week or every two weeks until recently. My ponytail used to be thicker than it is now. I swear it feels like a pencil.

I've finally come to the realization that my hair can't take it and I am going to have to stop getting them so often, maybe once every three months.

ETA: I'm sorry, I don't know how to post pictures, but they are in my fotki, the link is in my siggy. "Also, as you can see in the picture in my siggy, my edges are burned off in the front.

From these pictures, if I posted them correctly, you can tell how thin my ponytail and my ends are. I know my ends aren't pretty, but they aren't split, so I'am not going to get a trim because everytime I get one, I lose 2 to 3 inches, one of the reasons I won't be making BSL until some time in 2009.:wallbash:

Last edited:

SoOoNY

When I was younger i got Dominican Blowouts every 2 weeks and saw no damage. Well none I can remember.

Now I am back in NY I do it once a month. It feels silky smooth (as my SO says to quote Zohan but ) but need to get my hair to at least APL before I go back there regularly. I need to cut the direct heat down

ttlayli

Thanks for the responses ladies! As far as the pain...It really doesnt hurt me...so I have never had a prolem with that...I just make sure I "hold" my ears while they blowdry the sides of my hair. And I hate the look of flat hair...my hair is pretty oily, so by a wk, usually my hair doesnt look "fresh" anymore, and i thought washing the hair every couple of days would be better...when i ear my hair natural, i washed prob every 3 days. I guess I am just geeting tired of being plain, honestly. For the past couple of months, I have worn my hair either natural or in a bun, and i MISSED my hair being straight and bouncy, so im kind of messing up now i guess. :perplexed

RedVelvet310

I'm not too familiar with DR Salons but don't they offer other options? Like a doobie wrap or blowing out the roots alone? You hair in your avi is b.e.a.u-tiful.. itslong so it can handle rich curls at the end without you looking like an old lady or shirley temple.. why not reduce the heat by getting it wrapped or blowing out the roots instead? Imo hair with curl and body AND swang looks better than slick straight hair with swang.:yep:

ttlayli

I'm not too familiar with DR Salons but don't they offer other options? Like a doobie wrap or blowing out the roots alone? You hair in your avi is b.e.a.u-tiful.. itslong so it can handle rich curls at the end without you looking like an old lady or shirley temple.. why not reduce the heat by getting it wrapped or blowing out the roots instead? Imo hair with curl and body AND swang looks better than slick straight hair with swang.:yep:

Awwwww thanks for the compliment! And EVERY time I ask them to just do my roots, they act like my hair is going to revert if I dont get the length blowout, or they just dont listen! :look:

girlyprincess23

what about skipping the blowout to the roots. Like just doing the roots or not blowing out at all. Maybe have them set it on smaller rollers so you can rock it curly until the curls fall and then it'll be wavy and then it'll be time to get another one!!

cocoaluv

Yeah you can ask them to not blow out your hair at all and just comb it out if you wish. But my hair is very thick so they automatically want to blow it out straight from root to tip like they do to their own hair. I NEVER allow this to happen though. You can also ask them to only blow out the roots which is what I do when I'm 6 weeks post or most or ask to have your hair either wrapped and pinned or pin curled.

You have to be very vocal about what you want them to do or else they will just do whatever they want. I also would suggest bringing your own products including comb because theres always used to pull my hair out. I have a small comb that is wider than the one they use and have no problems whatsoever. My hair has improved even more so since using my own quality products while going to the dominicans.

sowhut

I used to go every week. My hair never suffered any consequences from it. Maybe because my hair is thick though. Now i only go to dominican salons in the winter because im not co-washing then and cant do it nicely myself. I go every 2 weeks and only have the roots blow dried. Them overlapping my relaxers is what zapped my hair.

Miamori

Yes, I do think it's too often for most of the reasons the other ladies have stated.

I did, however, have a salon visit Wednesday that convinced me there are other ways to go about it.

The salon I went to is a Boston salon where the two owners were trained by Olive Benson, who (though she passed away a few years ago), has a salon still in the Boston area. She's very well-known, admired, and is considered a pioneer in the hair world.

Anyway, I DID get a relaxer, which I am sure helped, but from what others have said about it who have gone to Olive's or MonicaTodd's (the salon I went to), it makes a huge difference especially when you are some weeks post too. The use the velcro-like rollers with the pins (some people call these sponge rollers, but I consider them to be something else). As you hair shrinks up while it dries, it creates a lot of tension at the roots, which helps get them straight. You get a light blow out after, and they don't have to use as much direct heat because the increased tension (compared to magnetic rollers). It's not all hot and applied so close. Also, they use a different brush that doesn't rip your hair out so much. The effect was actually better than my Dominican blowouts.

Macherieamour wrote a review of this technique on her sight as well during a salon review she wrote for Olive's salon. I believe she has also been to MonicaTodd's.

ETA: I posted all this just to let you know there's a much healthier (imo) alternative. You might be able to find a salon that does this.