Dominican Salon vs. African American Salons, Which do You Prefer?

Dominican Salon or African American Salon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Calia001

Im getting my first relaxer of the year in march (last relaxer was October 28) I want to go to my usual salon, which is a Dominican place, but they dont know the word NO and they are waaaay to scissor happy. I've had breakage in the middle of my head from bad bad weave that is now happily growing back, but whenever they apply relaxer to that part my hair, I see the :perplexed: look. LADY STOP ACTIN BRAND NEW, WE'VE BEEN THROUGH THIS.

Like i said they're scissor happy and its hard for me to commmunicate exactly whats up with my hair in English .

I've been to another salon where an older women (she was either African or Haitian) did my hair but it was very heavy and grease laden whenever she did it, and she charged me for things i didnt ask for. There was also a language barrier there as well and we didnt see eye to eye ( i wanted to cut my hair really short at one point in time because it was annoying me, she suggested i get a weave instead :nono:)

Theres this place thats not too far from my house that is a unisex salon and the place is gorgeous. I've never been in there before but I'm willing to try it. The beauticians that i see through the window (lol) are young and vibrant women but I've never gotten close enough to see their hair or work in action.

I'm wondering if the practices between Dominican stylists and African American differ greatly in terms of whats best for my hair. Help me out yall

For those of you that do go the salon, which one do you prefer and why

p31woman

I prefer Dominican Salons. I am natural and I find that they have taken so much better care of my hair than any African American Salons. My hair has gotten so much healthier and longer since I've been going to them. I love 'em!

Lava27

I've been to both, and most of my friends have frequented both at some point in our lives. Most of us agree that for a swangy/bouncy hairstyle you can go to the Dominicans, but for perms, cuts, etc. it is best just to go to an AA stylist that you can communicate well with.

I never get perm or trims done at the Dominicans. That's just me, but most of the Dominican shops I've been to don't even use flat irons or curlers, so in that sense the styling can be very limited. So I would get my next touch up done at this young/hip looking salon..just my 2 cents!

mightycute912

It depends on what you are looking for. I have been to both. Dominicans were always cheaper than going to a Black stylist. I could get the wash and set for $25 and a relaxer for $65. Only thing about the Dominican salons is that there would be 30 other chicks waiting and then it would take hours. The service was subpar, because it was about getting everyone that came in out, so there isn't a lot of time spent on the customer service aspect of it. The Black stylists I went to would be more personable, but the cost was a factor. I am going to Too Groovy and the cost factor makes it impossible to stay on my weekly routine, but I can't manage my hair during the transitioning with 3 kids and work. As far as health between the two, I found that my hair can withstand heat and it holds onto moisture. The Dominicans would use the round brush/diffuser technique to get the roots straight after a roller set. I didn't mind the heat. My hair didn't break off, it was a bi-weekly thing I did when I had a relaxer. My hair held body longer this way. With the Black stylists, I found that the roller set wasn't always good. They were much better with a flat iron and I could achieve similar results, but the body or curl wouldn't last as long. You got to choose your poison. As of now, I go to Too Groovy and pay my arm and leg to transition easier.

indefinite

Sounds like you should find someone's hair you like in your area and get a referral. The dominican salons here are the opposite of what you described. They aren't scissor happy, and give great relaxers. Since you don't have that type of domican salon in your area and you aren't really thrilled with the other salons, you should get a referral from someone with a great head of hair.

RavenMaven

I don't think there are any Dominican salons in Buffalo. :( So I have only had the opportunity to visit Black salons.

Fhrizzball

I go to African salons whenever I go back home. Being African myself it's easier to connect more and the one I go to doesn't have me waiting hours on end which is a problem with AA salons. I've never been to a Dominican salon but maybe I'll try sometime in the future.

beans4reezy

I prefer the African American salons. They style better. If the Domincans aren't rollersetting and blow drying, there are oftentimes clueless about any other style. I don't know about the Domicians you frequent, but mine don't even use the flat iron; they use those doofy curling irons. When I have $15 I do to the Domicans. IF I have somewhere to be and I want to look nice, I'll go to the AA salon.

MissNina

Libra Girl
I've been to both, and most of my friends have frequented both at some point in our lives. Most of us agree that for a swangy/bouncy hairstyle you can go to the Dominicans, but for perms, cuts, etc. it is best just to go to an AA stylist that you can communicate well with.

I never get perm or trims done at the Dominicans. That's just me, but most of the Dominican shops I've been to don't even use flat irons or curlers, so in that sense the styling can be very limited. So I would get my next touch up done at this young/hip looking salon..just my 2 cents!

I pretty much agree with all of this, but my Dominican salon uses flat irons and all types of things. If it's not flipping, curling, blow outs or straightening, they do seem a lil lost. I don't think they would be good with "black styles" or anything.

However, I still wouldn't go to the "hip looking" salon just b/c it looks that way. That has nothing to do with the stylists inside. I would search Yahoo/Google for reviews on AA/ethnic salons in your area and go from there. I'd attempt to do my own relaxer before I go to someone who doesn't do my hair to my satisfaction or some random place that looks nice but may damage my hair. I love my relaxers but I know they are nothing to play with.

ImFree27

I don't go to either, but if I did, I would prefer Dominican because A.American Salons are too expensive and over booked...

Glamorous_chic

i had a very similar problem when i moved to md after college. the aa salon i started going to was one of those hip looking salons that overcharged for everything (relaxer was $95, add $20 for a trim, and $35 for a deep conditioner) and the results were horrible to me. i have very fine hair, and the beautician used really heavy greases on my hair, and it ended up looking greasy and the styling was subpar. while at work, i found someone whose hair looked really pretty, and asked her where she got her hair done. i went to the same beautician she went to, and have been going there faithfully for the last 2 1/2 years. even though the salon is in the "hood", she's a very good stylists, and is very cheap ($65 for relaxer and $35 for wash/style, which includes trims and dc) and she dc everytime i go for a wash or relaxer. even after moving 50 miles away, i still make the commute. i just started going to dominican salons, but thankfully, the one i go to has an interpretor, and they are all really nice, and make recommendations for products for my hair. i just started going there for wash/sets, and driving to my beautician for chemical processes.

bellecheveux

I do my own hair now.

The Dominicans use too much heat and the African Americans use to much "Pump it Up!" spritz down here.

glamazon386

Since being natural I prefer white salons :look: That's where both of my stylists are. They use better products and stay current on the new techniques.

Carrie A

Since being natural I prefer white salons :look: That's where both of my stylists are. They use better products and stay current on the new techniques.

What do you get done?

OP I've been doing my own hair. I have one stylist who was is very good, but I've said goodbye since I went natural. I used to go to the dominicans but that's just too much heat for me so bye for them too.

letitgrow0702

I would have to say dominican salons. They use better quality products and are more into haircare. Also, they don't automatically want to put a hot comb to your hair just because you are natural.

honeybadgirl

i was just talking about this topic recently. it wasnt the same concerns though. i want to say i prefer to do my own hair. i just recently went to a dominican salon and was completely satisfied, with my hair, time, and cost!!
my major complaint with black owned salons is the lack of respect for the customers time! they have no regard for it. most of them want to charge top of the line prices to have you sitting in there for hours. i have watched black stylists shuffle around, eat lunch/dinner, surf the net, chat on the phone and live while a salon full of women wait to be serviced:nono:
so just like with many businesses, they're going to let another nationality come here and take it over! oh well i guess.
i like the convenience and availability of the dominican salons. i can wake up, decide i want to go and go! if i have somewhere to go and want my hair done because i dont feel like doing it i can go there and be out in less than an hour!!:yep::grin:

Last edited:

camilla

i only go to dominicans for special occasions or when i am realllllyyy stretching I DO NOT LET THEN TRIM MY HAIR!!!!!!! too scissor happy and i always walk out with the same hair cut :nono: i trim my own hair WHEN NEEDED my hair has relly grown since i stopped trimming after EVERY relaxer i trim when needed or do the search and destroy method i self relax i only go for a wash,set and blow out

blue_flower

I don't like Black salons. Domican salons are better; I haven't been to one in years, but they did my hair much better than the Black salons. No hot *** sizzling flat irons. My hair was thick, long, and bouncy. It wasn't thin and stiff. I called a couple Black salons before and asked if they did roller sets and you can imagine how shocked/disappointed I was when they said they didn't do roller sets.

TheQueenBeeMaya

I have a question to those who go to white salons. Do you mean that the salon you go to is white owned with primarily white stylists BUT your stylist is black? or that your stylist is white? Because if it's the first, then heck, I guess I prefer white salons too !

LivingDoll

Although I haven't been in a long while, I prefer Dominican Salons because they are cheap, quick and deliver better results. I don't get chemicals at Dominican Salons though...I do them myself.

swirl

IG: rhonda_hair
I don't wear complicated styles so the Dominican blowout is perfect for me. They know how to handle my 3C hair better than any Black stylist I ever went to. Plus, I never felt comfortable going to Black salons anyway.

glamazon386

What do you get done?

OP I've been doing my own hair. I have one stylist who was is very good, but I've said goodbye since I went natural. I used to go to the dominicans but that's just too much heat for me so bye for them too.

I just get it blowdried and flat ironed. I've also had it colored and had weaves done. They do better cuts and color, IMO. Both my stylists are black but they work in white salons and use their techniques and products. But most black hairdressers at AA salons have looked at my hair like :look: :nono: and won't touch it since I don't have a perm. It's really not that intimidating. If you don't wanna touch my hair, fine I'll keep my money in my pocket and my hair on my head.

Last edited:

glamazon386

I have a question to those who go to white salons. Do you mean that the salon you go to is white owned with primarily white stylists BUT your stylist is black? or that your stylist is white? Because if it's the first, then heck, I guess I prefer white salons too !

My stylists are black and work in white salons. My male stylist is co-owner of his shop. He used to be at another white salon before opening his own. Most of his clients are white. The female one is at a full service spa. They stay up to date and take classes, learn new techniques, try new products and only use salon quality and so on down the line. A lot of the AA shops here use the typical black mineral oil/petrolatum filled products or want to load your hair down with grease, oil, use oil sheen, etc. Or they stick to one whole line. I don't mind the Avlon/Affirm products or the Mizani products but some of the others I do not like. Even the Dominican shops I've been to here in town were using cheap products. I don't even use cheap products at home. I expect a salon to be using salon quality products.