Dominican Salon vs. African American Salons, Which do You Prefer?

Dominican Salon or African American Salon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cicilypayne

My afro american salon can do my hair weave like no other really classy natural looking and when I go to my dominican salon they get me in out quick really soft natural looks but even they r impressed with the Afro American stylist weave job. So for installs I go to my Afro American for in and out wash set the Dominican's:yep:

blessedandlucky

i don't go to either. i go to aveda. i wouldn't go to any salon where i didn't feel the stylist understood me and/or took into account what i wanted done with my hair. scissor happy with a discussion doesn't even fly and i'm definitely not paying to sit in a salon all day because they overbooked. that is one of my pet peeves.

prospurr4

I have to say neither. I just enjoy doing (and experimenting with) my own hair, too much. I haven't been to a salon since the Reagan Administration. :look:

platnmdiva23

Between my stylist and myself....I don't go to salons....

My stylist once worked in a salon before she opened her own one person salon...

lusciouslocks

My Dominican salon is where my hair started thriving. I had been going to AA salons all my life and never got past shoulder length, and never thought twice about that, figuring that was just the way it was. I was shocked the very first time I got a perm at the Dom salon and the lady didn't trim my hair. She was like, "No, mami, your ends are okay, maybe next time."

I wasn't used to not losing an inch of hair with my touch up. I wasn't used to being in the stylist chair within 15 minutes of arriving at the salon. I also wasn't used to the absence of drama, attitudes and fried chicken, lol. The only black salon I had felt pampered at had cost me almost $150 dollars for a perm and trim -- and that didn't even include a deep conditioning. I could feel pampered for $25 with Marisol and 'em.

My hair took off from there and I haven't looked back. I learned most of what I know about healthy haircare from the Doms: weekly washing, deep conditioning, and rollersetting (saved my hair as I was heat addict); and less trimming. I stick with one girl to do my relaxers, I tip her very generously for the great job she does with it and we're both happy. I only let them blow out my roots because I hated losing body in my hair from a complete blow-out (I wasn't even really thinking about the heat damage) -- I love big, not flat, hair. So I already had a good foundation and simple, effective regimen before I found LHCF even though I love to play around with some of the info I've found here. I do a lot of my own rollersets and deep conditioning at home now, and have even done a touchup or two, but I still love to go to the salon toward the end of my stretch.

The only potential downside I've found is in the area of precision cuts. I'm full APL now, thinking of going a little bit shorter, with some type of precision layers and I don't think my Dom sisters are the ones to give me what I'm looking for. So I think I'll be scouting out some higher-scale black, and possibly even white, salons for a more precise look.

Last edited:

mezzogirl

I had my first experience at a Dominican salon. I took my daughter in who is relaxed and had about 2 inches of new growth. The lady told me she charged $25 for a wash and blow. When she touched my daughters new growth, her price went up to $45 w/out conditioner. She said she would have to pull more. I paid $55 for a wash and dc. My daughter said her scalp was sore because the stylist put the dryer directly on her scalp. Her hair was swinging for 2 weeks. The AA stylist I go to charges $40 for wash and style and that includes a deep conditioner and a dusting if you need it. My hair swings when coming out of that shop also. I think it just depends on the stylist. There are great AA stylists and great dominican stylists.

cicilypayne

I had my first experience at a Dominican salon. I took my daughter in who is relaxed and had about 2 inches of new growth. The lady told me she charged $25 for a wash and blow. When she touched my daughters new growth, her price went up to $45 w/out conditioner. She said she would have to pull more. I paid $55 for a wash and dc. My daughter said her scalp was sore because the stylist put the dryer directly on her scalp. Her hair was swinging for 2 weeks. The AA stylist I go to charges $40 for wash and style and that includes a deep conditioner and a dusting if you need it. My hair swings when coming out of that shop also. I think it just depends on the stylist. There are great AA stylists and great dominican stylists.

I couldn't agree more:yep:

TheQueenBeeMaya

that's awesome. I am looking for one in my area to go to. I have just had too many horrible experiences at AA salons here in Memphis and there are no Dominican salon in my area.

i had the same problem, i WISH i could find a dominican salon, but the simply don't exist in southern california (at least not where i live) and the last time i went to an AA shop, i was charged $70 for a press. JUST a press, that's it ! no deep condition, no trim, just a press. and that was after waiting 1.5 hours to be greeted (NOT seated, just greeted) i found myself an awesome white salon (and when i go, i'm her only client, so i'm done in under 2 hours) and never looked back.

morehairplease

i had the same problem, i WISH i could find a dominican salon, but the simply don't exist in southern california (at least not where i live) and the last time i went to an AA shop, i was charged $70 for a press. JUST a press, that's it ! no deep condition, no trim, just a press. and that was after waiting 1.5 hours to be greeted (NOT seated, just greeted) i found myself an awesome white salon (and when i go, i'm her only client, so i'm done in under 2 hours) and never looked back.

Now, this would be ideal for me because I don't like being in a salon all day. This past December, I had the most horrible salon experience at a local AA here. My total for a corrective relaxer with trim was $85:wallbash::wallbash: never again. Do you mind me asking what service you ask for when you go to the salon? Currently, I have a relaxer but wanted to transition with braids and would just be needing trims/flat irons every couple of months. Is your stylist Caucasian?
tia,
tishee

TheQueenBeeMaya

Now, this would be ideal for me because I don't like being in a salon all day. This past December, I had the most horrible salon experience at a local AA here. My total for a corrective relaxer with trim was $85:wallbash::wallbash: never again. Do you mind me asking what service you ask for when you go to the salon? Currently, I have a relaxer but wanted to transition with braids and would just be needing trims/flat irons every couple of months. Is your stylist Caucasian?
tia,
tishee

I've had two stylists there, one was white and was the mother of a friend. She had been begging me for years to let her do my hair and one day in a pinch, I gave her a chance and it looked FAB. My current stylist is black and does an equally fabulous job. When I went to my friend's mother, I just asked for a flat iron, with the black stylist I ask for a press.