Dont know which long term protective style to choose

Lute

Hi ladies,

For the past few months, I noticed that having twists in my hair doesn't help my ends much. They seem to tear at the end when I need to unravel them and I'm not sure if its because I need to put a heavier sealent when I do them. As a result, I'm not retaining as much as I should.

I would like to rectify this by doing a small trim and put my hair in a long term protective style, since Winter is here and I will be exercising more often

Should I,

1. Do mini braids (never done them before): I'm afraid of how it would look

2. Do braids extensions: I'm a bit past APL, and the braiders give me a hard time about my texture.

3. Do twist extensions: The ends of my hair don't like twists. So I don't know how the extensions will work out

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated

SoopremeBeing

I say the braids or extensions. Are you able or willing to do them yourself since the braiders give you a hard time? With the holidays for next week and the week after, it'd be a perfect time to braid/twist on your own while you have the free days.

As long as your properly moisturize and seal, your ends should be fine. It's my go-to style if I want to keep my ends hidden.

lamaria211

I loved my minis but I wore them under a wig. If your going to wear them out then to me that's not a real PS. To PS your ends need to be completely tucked away like in a weave

Lute

Good Evening,

SoopremeBeing - I was planning to do them myself, I just need to practice on getting the hair on snug and at the root if I decide to do extensions.

LadyEuphoria007 - I've done crochet braids before, but not tree braids.
I would do crochet braids if I found hair that closely matched my hair texture or, find the micro braids.

lamaria211 - If I put my ends in a bun would that help a bit?

NaturalfienD

@ Lute,

I vote for mini braids because I wear them and I think they are dope. Aside from that, I like them because I get a chance to really see my hair growth as opposed to having extensions, where the 'growth' could be a slipping braid (but maybe that's just me ...) Oh and in my experience with extensions (and I had hella) caused extra pulling on my follicles (I didn't realize this until I began doing mini braids); I think they increased the likelihood of my having easily breakable strands ... if that makes sense.

Regardless of what style you choose, consider using little bit of grease or vaseline on your ends to help reduce the friction that the strands will have on one another during the take down; it makes it much easier. If you are anti-vaseline or grease, I am certain a heavy oil would do the trick. HTH and HHG!!!

southerncitygirl

use castor oil on the last 2-3 inches of your hair 3-4 times a week. my ends feel less dry and its helping with tangles and ssks. shea butter is another option you can just melt a bit and do the same to your ends but castor is better for me. i wear twists regularly and put them in a ponytail:yep:.

Lute

Hey ladies..so I attempted to do mini braids.. which didnt' work out so well.. it looked really scalpy. I think its because I blew out my hair instead of letting it be...

so I got braids with extensions. At least this will keep my hands out of my hair until March.

and hopefully around March and April. I can try to take better care of my ends with what was recommended to me in this thread...

Last edited: