Long Term Protective Style on Relaxed Hair

Thiends

As I shared in my henna mishap thread, my hair is brittle and a mess right now. I want to ride this out with a protective style that will last me a while without redoing. If I had natural hair, I would do twists or box braids, but those are tricky with relaxed hair. Cornrows won't work because they make my scalp very sore. :nono: Roller sets won't cut it because those involve a lot of manipulation. Wigs won't cut it because I am on a tight budget and will not make any major expenditures; plus, I don't want coworkers speculating about my hair. :laugh: As you can tell, I have given this a lot of thought and come up short.

Does anyone know of a nice, professional, protective style one can do on relaxed hair that will last at least two weeks, or maybe even a month? This is one of the rare moments that I wish I was still natural. :( Thanks in advance. :)

Thiends

A bun.....although I wouldn't go that long without washing my hair.
You would, if you had the tangling and breakage I am facing right now! :laugh: I am just trying to survive through this period without undoing all of my progress. I figure just a month or two off and then I can figure something out. :)

EbonyCPrincess

Phony pony tail? And the synthetic wigs can cost you less than $20 (I don't know what major expenditure means to you).

nikolite

OP, you seemed to have cut out most of your protective style options. Bunning could work, but that's a low mani style, not a long term protective. Anything long term you wouldn't mess with.

Why do the cornrows make your scalp sore? They don't have to be tight. I'd reconsider the styles you don't want or some variations of them. Flat twists done with a wax or gel may be a better option in that case. I've also seen beautiful french braids (2 cornrows going down the sides) or one large inverted braid done on relaxed hair that could last a while.

PJaye

I second the bun option; however, I would advise doing a loose bun - place the hair into a loose ponytail until it's approximately 80% dry, then smooth it out and tuck away the ends. You can always refresh it every day, or every other day, as needed with a rejuvenating spritz (I use a concoction made up of mostly water with a dollop of a natural moisturizing conditioner and vitamin E, in addition to emu, sunflower, carrot seed, and rosemary). HTH.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I also say buns. You can load it down with moisture, which will probably help you avoid a setback. Henna gave me a setback too.:sad:

Solitude

OP, you seemed to have cut out most of your protective style options. Bunning could work, but that's a low mani style, not a long term protective. Anything long term you wouldn't mess with.

Why do the cornrows make your scalp sore? They don't have to be tight. I'd reconsider the styles you don't want or some variations of them. Flat twists done with a wax or gel may be a better option in that case. I've also seen beautiful french braids (2 cornrows going down the sides) or one large inverted braid done on relaxed hair that could last a while.

A bun is a protective style that is also a low manipulation style. It lasts as long as you wear it. Of course, you can also put it right back up after taking it down, so that's long-term.

nikolite

A bun is a protective style that is also a low manipulation style. It lasts as long as you wear it. Of course, you can also put it right back up after taking it down, so that's long-term.

I wouldn't say bunning is a long-term protective style, because the point would be not to manipulate it for a long time. I think most people who bun probably wouldn't go past a few days without changing it or it would tangle and sometimes cause breakage at the crease. If you have to keep taking it down its not long-term, although I agree its protective for that day or two. It still generally falls into low-mani since two days of protection is minimal in the range of other protective styles.

Cornrows and braids are both long-term protective and low-mani. Long-term to me is something that can last a minimum of two weeks without the ends being messed with. I'd prefer a month for the most optimal styles.

OP, a plaited or twisted bun could help (just putting the ends into one big plait) stretch a bunned style. You could wear a phony pony over that if the bun is too small, and you can find a really cheap one (they're usually under $10). I'm thinking that could last a week maybe?

Last edited:

Thiends

I wouldn't say bunning is a long-term protective style, because the point would be not to manipulate it for a long time. I think most people who bun probably wouldn't go past a few days without changing it or it would tangle and sometimes cause breakage at the crease. If you have to keep taking it down its not long-term, although I agree its protective for that day or two. It still generally falls into low-mani since two days of protection is minimal in the range of other protective styles.
I agree with you and you understand what I mean, although I appreciate the other posters' input. :yep: I want a style that I could leave untouched for two weeks, hopefully even four weeks. I am not on the bunning bandwagon because I find that while it helps one retain length, bunning is damaging to the thickness of hair. Most I see who have bunned for a long time have straggly ends that IMO need a 6-8" cut.
Cornrows and braids are both long-term protective and low-mani. Long-term to me is something that can last a minimum of two weeks without the ends being messed with. I'd prefer a month for the most optimal styles.
:yep:
OP, a plaited or twisted bun could help (just putting the ends into one big plait) stretch a bunned style. You could wear a phony pony over that if the bun is too small, and you can find a really cheap one (they're usually under $10). I'm thinking that could last a week maybe?
I have settled on several large braids pinned into an updo each day. :yep: I'll share how long that lasts.