Do's and dont's of natural hair

LovinLocks

Washing your hair with conditioner. You get amazing results.

Huh, what? Will wonders never cease. But, what about the "soap" needed to get hair clean????? Boy, so much to learn, I'm readin' as fast as I can (between going to buy K-combs and such). Just placed my order. :grin:

LongHairDreams

Huh, what? Will wonders never cease. But, what about the "soap" needed to get hair clean????? Boy, so much to learn, I'm readin' as fast as I can (between going to buy K-combs and such). Just placed my order. :grin:

I'll find you some links on co-washing. I didn't think it would clean the hair either, but it does. Plus moisturizes at the same time.

tryingto

so much really good advice, I would have to emphasize the importance of not combing or brushing natural hair while it is dry, my daughter's hair is very curly I never touch her hair dry, and am amazed at how bouncy and well behaved it is with just a spritz of moisture, :yep:

carameldiva

I looked furiously to find my hair twin ( i found about 3 ladies with hair just like mine). My logic, If their hair looks like mine and is the same type then maybe what they use will work for me. It worked. All of the products that they used, that i was interested in using worked fabulously for me too.

Co-washes have done wonders for me and I love wash and go's.

Hair oils that my 3c/4a hair can't live without- castor oil, virgin palm kernel oil

Glycerin is great for moisture,pre-poos and deep conditioning. My hair loves the shine that honey provides it. Henna works wonders.

I must dc for 45-60 mins a weeks- my hair will thank me for it.

Baggying is the truth.

Country gal

Castor oil is a must. It helps to condition and moisturize the hair. My hair is really thick from using the castor oil. I use the clear kind from the local stores.

Candycane044

so much really good advice, I would have to emphasize the importance of not combing or brushing natural hair while it is dry, my daughter's hair is very curly I never touch her hair dry, and am amazed at how bouncy and well behaved it is with just a spritz of moisture, :yep:

ITA! Manipulating natural hair while it's dry is not a good idea! That's a sure way to experience breakage.

ryanshope

I don't know if this was already stated..but to reiterate:

DO twist your hair while it is very damp/close to soaking wet--cuts down on the frizz and makes for longer lasting twist outs.

Natural hair LOVES water--water is your BESTIE...embrace it.

Don't just wear a wig without prepping your natural hair first--braid it; twist it; plait it--SOMETHING...or you will have tangles and matted hair that is a beast to deal with.

Do treat your curls kindly---twist them, coil them, pamper them---well treated coils are breathing.

Do use heat--in small doses---a little sweat ain't hurt nobody :)

Do co-wash frequently--between protein treatments, moisturizing treatments and porosity treatments u r gonna have alot of co-washing going on.

bablou00

Great thread and good advice. Just know that no two heads are a like. I would love to have a certain hair type for the ease of things but thats not me and not my hair. So embrace what you have and be patient. Thats what I have learned this first month of being natural. Read, read, read, and research as much as u can.

This site has great advice, not combing or brushing natural hair while it is dry, I never knew this, in the past I would comb my curls out , now I know no combing dry hair, cover hair at night and never allow hair to be loose when sleeping, very good advice.

Netta1

Do not try to get your natural hair to do something it was not created to do..and get mad at it for not doing it...

Do not "over analyze" your hair type.. its nappy now deal with it...lol

Do not conditioner wash like crazy but never clean your scalp...

Do not order natural products and expect a miracle in a bottle

Do not covet anothers naps

Do not claim to be natural..but straighten so much that you don't even remember what your natural texture looks like

Do not think that you know everything there is to know about natural hair...always grow in your knowledge...

Last edited:

mswoman

Do ask for advice and don't worry if it does not work.

Do find out what works for your hair now it will stay similar through your growing process

Don't throw away all old things, mix some EVOO with it or put some in your baggie

Love your curly and you may just have to throw out your own self fears about having short hair. Other people will be able to see you for you and not just your hair. *Thanks LHCF** I just figured this out.

nikolite

DO know your hair type (coarse/fine), and
DON'T overdo it with moisture!

Just because your hair is natural and may not FEEL silky or supple doesn't mean its in constant need of moisture. Hair that's a little rougher to the touch doesn't automatically mean its dry or bad. I know the mantra is that moisture is our best friend but there is a such thing as too much moisture (leaving the hair mushy, stretchy, and weak, although it may feel soft). Someone with coarse hair may do well with daily co-washing and nightly baggying but this may be detrimental to fine hair, which needs to balance moisture with protein and strengthening treatments (yes some natural hair will benefit from protein too).

Co-wash, baggy, DC, and spray with water/glycerin as needed but don't think that your hair can take an unlimited amount, or that its the rule of thumb for tremendous growth for everyone.

That being said, DO make sure your protein/moisture balance is on point!

Louisex3

Why is combing dry natural hair so bad?
I style my hair in the morning, then before bed, i'll part into sections and moisture + seal, but i comb through the sections.
Is this damaging?

kaykaybobay

All I can do is a slight finger comb. I am a natural with very fine strands that tangle - my strands feel coarse but fine as well. I can only get a comb through my hair when it's wet - since my hair is about below bra strap length with no curl I have really a crows nest. I figure I need a better method at keeping the tangles down in between wash days I just don't know what.

darlingdiva

Don't think that your hair is invincible because it's natural. Keep up with the moisturizing/protein/deep-conditioning treatments.

Do keep your porosity in check. You can use an ACV rinse or use Roux Porosity Control.

Don't hold on to split and/or scraggly ends for the sake of length. A dusting or trim (when needed) can do your hair a world of good.

Do keep your hair stretched as much as possible to avoid single-strand knots.

Do everything (detangling, washing, conditioning, styling) in sections, preferably braided or twisted sections.

Do cover your hair with a satin bonnet or scarf at night.

Do clarify as necessary.

Do listen to YOUR hair & do what it tells you to do.

Don't underestimate the value of shampoo. If you have excess build-up, a cleansing cream may not cut it. You may actually need shampoo.

Don't neglect your scalp. It is just as important as your hair.

Sometimes, products do matter. If you find that V05 and Suave and White Rain isn't working for you, ditch it and try something that costs a little more.

If you HAVE to add this, that and the other to a product for it to work, then you need a new product.

Invest in quality hair tools (combs, brushes, blow dryers, flat irons, etc.). Your hair will be ever so grateful.

Do stick to what works for you.

Do understand your hair's limitations and accept them for what they are. If wash-n-gos give you single-strand knots, stay off of that train. If flat-ironing and blow drying every week results in a lot of breakage for you, don't do it.

Detangle your hair PROPERLY and THOROUGHLY. It makes a world of difference in regards to retention & your hair's health.

mbule

DO know your hair type (coarse/fine), and
DON'T overdo it with moisture!

Just because your hair is natural and may not FEEL silky or supple doesn't mean its in constant need of moisture. Hair that's a little rougher to the touch doesn't automatically mean its dry or bad. I know the mantra is that moisture is our best friend but there is a such thing as too much moisture (leaving the hair mushy, stretchy, and weak, although it may feel soft). Someone with coarse hair may do well with daily co-washing and nightly baggying but this may be detrimental to fine hair, which needs to balance moisture with protein and strengthening treatments (yes some natural hair will benefit from protein too).

Co-wash, baggy, DC, and spray with water/glycerin as needed but don't think that your hair can take an unlimited amount, or that its the rule of thumb for tremendous growth for everyone.

That being said, DO make sure your protein/moisture balance is on point!

I agree. I've tried baggying and i find that my hair just breaks of the next day EVERYTIME. I also steamed with oil twice since i bought a new steamer two weeks ago. My hair broke the next morning also. I also think that one or more of the random oils i put in my good oil mix contain mineral or petrolatum which means i've got to dump those and remix my oil.

I think the old adage of oil and water not mixing (sweat in the baggy over night/ dry oil steam) is true. sleeping with wet conditioned hair= breakage for me.

4b/c re-growing after a fadehawk last summer!

Last edited:

Freespirit02

DO

- detangle hair in 5 or 6 sections, finger-detangling from the ends up to the roots

- try to comb hair mostly when it’s wet

- Use natural oils and butters, namely Shea, Olive, Coconut

- Do moisturize on a regular basis, once or twice a day with a braid spray or mineral water/glycerine

- Protective style- this will preserve the health of the hair

- Find styles which compliment and work with your unique curl pattern

- Use a natural light oil on the ends every night before going to sleep

- Comb ONLY with a wide tooth comb

- Use a Heat protecting serum/lotion when using ANY direct heat

- Deep condition at least once a week- LeKair Cholesterol is great for natural hair (I use this and absolutely adore it)

- Love your natural hair because God gave it to you and it’s beautiful!

- Eat healthy/ drink loads of water+ lemon - the hair’s natural curl pattern is improved by a healthy diet/supplements

DON’T

- Over-use heat (blow-drying/flat ironing etc)

- Rush while detangling- this can cause breakage and weakening of the hair shaft

- Comb dry natural hair if you can avoid it.

- Use products that will dry out your natural hair

- Sleep without some kind of silk/satin protection

- Over use protein. Natural hair generally tends to be strong, so over using protein can take you to snap-city of you’re not careful

- Do hairstyles which require a lot of manipulation and pulling

Why water with lemon, boo?? I mean I drink it all of the time because I'm on a quest to lose weight..but I didn't know it gave my fro power!:grin: