Natural Hair: What are your Do's and Don't's?

I_shure_do_wish

I recently did my big chop after 10 months of transitioning. Currently I have my hair in kinky twists so I haven't really styled my natural hair since the BC. Last night out of frustration I decided to start taking out my kinky twists. I quickly changed my mind half way through when I realized I had no idea how to work with my natural hair. It's grown so much and I don't want to screw up now.

So I was wondering what are your DO's and your DON'T's when it comes to your natural hair. Such as do not detangle hair when dry or do treat your hair with care.

msa

There's actually a thread called "do's and don'ts of natural hair" that was bumped a few days ago so try searching for it, it was started by locabouthair. There are a few other related threads as well so definitely do a search for them.

My don'ts:
-combing on dry hair
-constantly wearing puffs/fros...leads to many single strand knots
-wearing loose hair constantly and not detangling thoroughly

Do's:
-be very very very gentle when combing and styling...don't just rake through your hair
-keep your hair stretched as much as possible if you have type 4 hair that gets angle strand knots easily or is hard to detangle
-find a really good conditioner and use it often
-use penetrating natural oils throughout your regimen
-learn one style you can do that always comes out great and makes you feel good
-invest in bobby pins and headbands (they will save you on a really bad hair day)

There's actually a thread called "do's and don'ts of natural hair" that was bumped a few days ago so try searching for it, it was started by locabouthair.

That's one of my favorite threads, MSA. :yep: It's kept me sane as I started my HHJ. The first link above is the Dos and Don't thread.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
don't try to pick your hair out while its dry. i tried that and it hurt like heck! just cuz i wanted a puff like the other naturals. :whatever: