Do's and Don'ts' on Corrective Relaxer

Lebiya

What are the do's and Dont's on how to do a corrective relaxer?

I will use Phyto both times - once to texturize / the other to fully perm..I will leave Months in between.

I searched but I need more opinions ( the other threads were to short)

Wow, this is funny. I just did this today. I normally use Phyto 1 with long stretches in between (5-6 months). Today I used Phyto 2 do a corrective after a 3 month stretch. This is going to be long, but instead of do's and don'ts, I'll just tell you what I did and why.

Basically, Phyto 1 barely changes my texture. It just softens and loosens my curl pattern, but there were still tight 4a curls in my crown area. This was causing a breakage issues because I had three textures - my new growth, my texlaxed hair, and my straighter ends. I decided to go up a strength to even it all out. Not to say that a relaxer can fix breakage (it can't), but my hair was breaking a bit in the middle right at the line of demarcation where the straighter hair met the texlaxed hair, kind of like a person who has breakage during transitioning.

So, I did the half & half method. I used Phyto 2 and didn't mix anything in the relaxer. I based my scalp, etc. with Vaseline & used the pre-care balm that comes with the kit for my ends. I also carefully detangled my new growth first to make sure I could part my hair quickly. (Detangling dry new growth was the hardest part - normally I would have straightened my hair the week before, but I was working out a lot). I applied the relaxer on the bottom half of my hair. I spent 8 and a half minutes applying and about 5 minutes smoothing. As I smoothed row by row, I added more relaxer onto the parts that were underprocessed. For the last 2 minutes or so, I continually smoothed my hair all together, trying to make sure that I got all the under-processed parts. So, basically, I did my unprocessed newgrowth first, and then intentionally overlapped to correct the underprocessed parts. (The relaxer was on my hair a total of 15-16 minutes).

I rinsed, neutralized, and repeated this process on the top half of my hair. I then carefully neutralized my whole head over again until there was no pink, then conditioned, etc. If I could do something differently, I'd do the top half first because rinsing was messy.

This is my first time doing the half and half method. From now on, I think I will only use Phyto 2. There was no burning and my hair still had some texture to it, which is great. Doing a corrective is hard and it's best to have a professional do it. I don't trust anyone else in my head anymore, though. When you do a corrective, relax the newgrowth first and then the part you want to correct.

I also trimmed my hair about an inch & a week before I did a hard protein treatment with Aphogee. (Actually, it was probably less than an inch)

Last edited:
Read this thread. Its extremely helpful.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...ussion/122927-correctives-support-thread.html

Some tips:
*Wait 6 weeks, preferably longer, because the more new growth you have will help you to avoid overprocessing.

*Do protein treatments to keep the demarcation line strong.

*Apply relaxer to sections of NG in need of the most attention. Once you've done your entire head, go back to the parts that need "correcting".

*You're picking up where you left off from your last relaxer. So these areas don't need the full relaxing time, otherwise you'll run the risk of overprocessing.

Read this thread. Its extremely helpful.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...ussion/122927-correctives-support-thread.html

Some tips:
*Wait 6 weeks, preferably longer, because the more new growth you have will help you to avoid overprocessing.

*Do protein treatments to keep the demarcation line strong.

*Apply relaxer to sections of NG in need of the most attention. Once you've done your entire head, go back to the parts that need "correcting".

*You're picking up where you left off from your last relaxer. So these areas don't need the full relaxing time, otherwise you'll run the risk of overprocessing.

I didn't even know about that thread. Thanks, Lady Esquire.

Back