Dou you really need a protein treatment...

Hil84figer

Do you need protein treatment if protein is in your diet and you exercise. Can you transition into being natural without protein treatment.
Do you really need it or can you go without it if you moisture and seal in and baby your hair?

The only time i ever used protein on my hair was at the salon when my hair was breaking after that nothing. Before in college and before that I never had treatment even though i was i braids all the time.

CAPlush

If you're relaxed, then you are more than likely going to need a protein treatment at some time or another. If you are transitioning, then a protein treatment will help with the line of demarcation between your new growth and your relaxed hair so that you don't experience excessive breakage. The relaxed hair is depleted of its proteins because of the chemical process unlike the natural hair. However, natural hair can benefit from proteins to help fortify the strand if there is heat or mechanical damage.

Hil84figer

How often do you perform protein treatments? 1 every 6 weeks?

Can you just use protein products( ie conditoners)

preciousjewel76

Hil84figer said:
How often do you perform protein treatments? 1 every 6 weeks?

Can you just use protein products( ie conditoners)

There is no "set" time for protein treatments. You have to listen to your hair on this one. Many ladies here use the Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair ("hard" Aphogee) once every 6 weeks. Other ladies use reconstructors like Joico K-Pak or Nexxus Emergencee once or twice a month. Some use a protein conditioner, like Nexxus Keraphix or Aubrey Organics GPB once a week or so. It really depends on your hair and what it needs.

Bint Yusef

I think I need one. Since joining here I have focused on moisture so much that I think I am overmoisturized. My hair is VERY SOFT (its never been this soft before in my life) and when I touch it I am starting to get little bits of hair on my hands.

Where do you all get the Emergencee from?

preciousjewel76

OnAHairQuest said:
I think I need one. Since joining here I have focused on moisture so much that I think I am overmoisturized. My hair is VERY SOFT (its never been this soft before in my life) and when I touch it I am starting to get little bits of hair on my hands.

Where do you all get the Emergencee from?

You can get Nexxus Emergencee just about anywhere - except Sally's. It's sold at drugstores, grocery stores, and many other BSS that sell Nexxus stuff. They have it at CVS and Kroger groceries in my area.

Divine Inspiration

I agree with the other ladies. In a relaxed regimen, protein is usually necessary. I can't imagine anyone doing a long transition from relaxed to natural without protein, but anything is possible. If you're looking to maintain healthy hair during a transition, I think protein is necessary to keep the line of demarcation strong.

Artemis

My hair is very fine, and I was natural for 4 yrs, and didn't know jack a/b protein back then. My hair didn't retain nearly as much length as it could have if I'd done protein treats regularly.

So even if you transition and eventually go all natural keep in mind that you might still need to use a protein treatment or some sort of protein in your hair care regime. Damage doesn't just come from heat tools or chemicals. The evironment and other mechanical (like poor handling) can also compromise your protein/moisture balance.

HTH :)