Drastic haircuts

Karonica

Has anyone ever had a major haircut in their lifetime? What were your experiences? What kind of comments did you get?

I'm transtitioning, and I don't know if I can seriously see myself with a head full of ten thousand textures for long. Yet, I everytime I've cut my hair, people have to ask me why, why, why! (Even if it's a trim!) Eeesh. *sigh* I may just keep the long hair for my sanity.

ComfortablyNumb

I've had a couple. I've went from brastrap or so to ear length just because. I didn't have a special reason or anything. People acted like I had committed a major sin. Just tell 'em "Chill out! It's just hair, it'll grow back!"

Cres81

I did. I was trying to transition at the time, but I gave up because I was frustrated. I had so much breakage that the hairdresser had to cut off all of the old relaxed part of my hair and just relaxed the new growth. My hair which was bra strap was now barely touching my shoulders. I cried about it, but my hair did look nice and healthy after my cut.

patticake

i had finally reached bra strap length two years ago and i wanted layers to change things up a bit. however, my beautician chopped off my hair to chin length.
'til this day my friends ask WHY!!!! then my hair grew to shoulder length and i asked for a trim and the same woman cut my hair to ear length!
now i'm back to shoulder length and i've been just trimming my own hair.

Shinka

when my hair was breaking off like two months ago, I decided to cut it all off like a boy cut and go natural. Everyone likes it....I'm glad a did it for the health of my hair and scalp. I'm glad I did it now at 19, alot of Black women don't get the courage to do that ( go natural) until late in their lifes.

Tracy

I had a Halle cut I loved for about 4 years while I was in undergrad. I let it begin growing out my senior year. Then I kept it at chin length for a long time. Until about 3 years ago....

butterfly7

I went from a little past shoulder length to a Halle/type cut. Everyone was completely shocked, but it looked good.

bimbabe

Three years ago, I had some dryness and breakage from bleached hair (please don't ask) but my hair was about an inch past my shoulders. I was new to the area and tried out a highly reccommended salon. The stylist said I needed a trim to get the ends healthy. Even though there was nothing wrong with my back it was all sheared off and I was given an ear length bob! With a bang!!! Friggin thing looked like a wig.
. I hardly went back there and needless to say that woman never put her hands in my hair again!

Years later I found out from another stylist at that salon that that is "signature" cut of that dreadful stylist and she had even had experienced her coworker's bob wrath first hand...bangs and all!

This year I had a 2 inch chop in some areas (mainly the crown).....but it was obvious i needed it. Didn't like that cut but my stylist tried very hard to preserve as much hair as possible by only cutting damaged hair.

Karonica

I remember when I got my hair cut to ear length because that lady knocked off over 6 inches of my hair talking about some it would be like a trim (and I believed her). That wench! I should've known something was wrong with her because she constantly kept her hair in dry looking ponytails. Well, I don't go to her anymore, but my friend does. And when she comes to church with a brand new cut, she whines that she just got a "trim."

pooh123

Karonica I've experienced this too. I went from a few inches below shoulder length to neck length because my hair had been overprocessed due to frequent relaxers and hair bleaching. I got the third degree from everyone when I did this. They kept asking why I cut my hair. I loved the fullness that my hair had after that cut though and didn't regret it.

pooh123

Karonica

That's good to hear.

If I do decide to cut my hair again, I'm going to create "stupid" signs for everyone that ask me "Why???" I'm going to say,

"Because I felt like it. Now here. Put this on your back."

pebbles

A couple of times I had to shave most of my hair off. It was hard to do, but my hair was breaking so badly there was nothing else to do. I wore a scarf for a couple of months until my hair grew out enough for me to rock a cute afro. I got teased, but at least it's grown out now.

love2praz

Last summer, I went from shoulder length relaxed hair to shaving off all of my hair to a fade like a boys. I had started getting some damage and breakage and I was curious about how I would look with a TWA. I got a whole lot of "why'd you cut off all of you hair" and I actually had people jump on the bandwagon and chop theirs off too after seeing me.

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
I went from a little past shoulder length to a Halle/type cut. Everyone was completely shocked, but it looked good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto!

TinyT

Well I chopped my hair off, it was near bra strap relaxed, and I cut it down to 1 inch new growth to be natural.

skegeesmb

I went from 22-23" to a 3" Halle Berry cut. I had transistioned for 4 months, and that was all the natural hair I had accumulated. I'm almost back to my original length.

G

[ QUOTE ]
i had finally reached bra strap length two years ago and i wanted layers to change things up a bit. however, my beautician chopped off my hair to chin length.
'til this day my friends ask WHY!!!! then my hair grew to shoulder length and i asked for a trim and the same woman cut my hair to ear length!
now i'm back to shoulder length and i've been just trimming my own hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Omigod! That's why I keep these freaks out of my hair! Bra strap length to chin length, when all you wanted was some layers? That's ridiculous!

I also trim my own hair, after having stylists who don't know the difference between a trim and a cut.

I feel for you, sweetie.

G

[ QUOTE ]
I remember when I got my hair cut to ear length because that lady knocked off over 6 inches of my hair talking about some it would be like a trim (and I believed her). That wench! I should've known something was wrong with her because she constantly kept her hair in dry looking ponytails. Well, I don't go to her anymore, but my friend does. And when she comes to church with a brand new cut, she whines that she just got a "trim."

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so sad. What is with stylists chopping off people's hair? YIKES!

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
I went from 22-23" to a 3" Halle Berry cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I also did the Mary J. Blige shag style first, than it was the halle. Kept that up for about 4 or 5 years. I've also had my hair cut to my ear, my chin and my shoulder (blunt). I loved them all. Now I'm just trying to see if my hair can reach my brastrap, after that, i'll probably cut it again... who knows.

laketta

I just had one and indeed at first it is traumatizing. I had just transitioned but I had to cut off my scab hair so it seemed like I was cutting off my "progress" but It was worth it because six months from now, It will reap the benefits with healthy hair.