Dry, Crispy, Crunchy Ends- When to Snip 'Em?

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Hi Ladies,
I am sitting here trying to baby my hair and get through one more day before I can take the time to do my hair routine-prepoo, wash, condition etc.

The ends of my hair are dry, crunchy and hard right now. All though they feel like a scrub pad, I am not going to get the scissors. I think they are okay for now. Once I wet it and condition, they should bounce back.

For me, there are three kinds of crunchy ends that I cannot save and have to cut. Those are: ends that are gray or so dry and damaged that they are lighter in color than the rest of my hair, ends that are split and and hair ends that I burned with a too hot styling tool.

How do you determine when to snip and when to try to salvage your ends? What clues do you look for? What guides your decision whether to cut or to keep your ends?

Duff

Hi Chicoro, bumping.....

I know when my ends only are frizzy and it's like I cant get rid of the frizz regardless of what I do. I know I will have to trim them.

southerncitygirl

don't snip them, in particular if you are natural. my ends have a crunchy feel and when i go for my dusting 2-3 times a year they are usually fine. a indicator that i need a trim is when my hair gets tangly. i suggest pre-pooing with heat or dc and coating your ends with moisturizer or moisturize/seal several times a week. i think with natural hair this is commonplace as it is an issue for me. fortunately my hair is not damaged to the point that a heavy trim or cut has to be performed.
bumping........

teacherjess

Hi Chicoro, bumping.....

I know when my ends only are frizzy and it's like I cant get rid of the frizz regardless of what I do. I know I will have to trim them.

I agree w/ Duff. First of all, Chicoro ur hair is BEAUTIFUL!:yep:
When mine get to where they don't respond to deep conditioner, moisture, sealant w/ oil, etc. they gotta go

JustKiya

Hrm. My ends haven't reached a point where I feel they need to be trimmed. They might need more moisture, they might need a steam treatment, they might need a overnight DC, they might need henna, they might need more/less acid, they might need more castor oil.....or something else.... :yep:

But so far - they haven't needed to be cut. I haven't trimmed my hair in - almost.....holy cow, it'll be three years in February!

Last edited:

Ballerina_Bun

maybe you need to try a different product ... maybe it's the season ... try something different on your ends ... only cut as a last resort.:yep:

Optimus_Prime

Maybe you can spritz your hair with water, or rose water if you have some, warm your favorite oil(s), put your hair in pigtails, dip the ends of each pigtail in the warm oil and baggy for a day or two.

Nayeli

Gosh, Chicoro, it just feels.....................wrong.....giving hair advice to someone like you lol.

I am realizing that even after 6 months when I say to myself, well I must need a trim by now, I'm usually doing it for aesthetics. Dry and crunchy doesn't sound like a trim is necessary. Now if mine felt frayed and chewy, I would def. get one.

vkb247

My ends have never got to a point where they felt like they needed to go. I trim when my hair is very uneven, ends that don't curl anymore, or when I have excessive split ends. I only get trims when I get my hair straightened professionally and that has been twice in the last 3 years.

I would at least wet the ends and seal them right away because letting hair stay dry is a recipe for damage.

LadyPaniolo

When I look at them and visibly SEE that the ends are split or just bend 57 crazy ways even after flat ironing... then they get the snippity snip. Otherwise, just leave them be and give them some more love.

BTW Chicoro, :notworthy You were the main hair inspiration that I based my reggie off of... and I am grateful for the example and advice you gave. Hats off to you! :rosebud:

BillsBackerz67

if after i straighten my hair and it still feels a crunchy mess the ends have to go. Usually I only get the crunchy ends effect when i wear my hair in its naturally curly state, esp i i use water based moisturizers or let ir air dry the wrong way.

Irresistible

girl I was going to fight to not trim when I straightened this time

but once my hair has been moisturized and is dry, the ends drive me nuts , I cannot do it

I trim to the point where its 'curling on it's own' again.....I don't know how to explain that, other than to where the hair is literally 'fresh' again. and I CANT stop till I feel that

Irresistible

wanted to add

I can only manage to fight to not trim while its in it's natural state, as long as I don't get to feeling the ends too much

Qurlyqt

It doesn't take a whole lot for me to snip, if they don't curl up "right", if I can't twirl them to make a curl, etc. I need to learn how to "baby" them instead of rushing to the scissors. Right now, this is the longest I've ever gone without snipping them! :yep:

cmw45

Hi Ladies,
I am sitting here trying to baby my hair and get through one more day before I can take the time to do my hair routine-prepoo, wash, condition etc.

The ends of my hair are dry, crunchy and hard right now. All though they feel like a scrub pad, I am not going to get the scissors. I think they are okay for now. Once I wet it and condition, they should bounce back.

For me, there are three kinds of crunchy ends that I cannot save and have to cut. Those are: ends that are gray or so dry and damaged that they are lighter in color than the rest of my hair, ends that are split and and hair ends that I burned with a too hot styling tool.

How do you determine when to snip and when to try to salvage your ends? What clues do you look for? What guides your decision whether to cut or to keep your ends?

:yep: All of the reasons you listed AND ends that have single strand knots (ssks). I know some ladies said they are willing to deal with ssks and just take them as part of natural hair but I am not one of them. I hate them and hate that by sniping each individual strand my hair becomes progressively less even. So when I am really impacted by ssks I know it's time for an overall trim.

OT: I got a major trim (2-3 inches in some places) back in December and have been wearing my hair in cornrows since. The ssks have not returend so I am finally admitted that they come from wearing my hair out and not straightened (Wash n' go OR braidouts) and that they only way to avoid them as a natural, for me, it to keep my hair cornrowed up or flat ironed.

pringe

cmw,

that makes so much sense! I really stopped wearing my hair out just because of the hassle of wearing it out and have been doing more individual braids, twists and then straightened hair for a week. Do you know that I have NO knots (at least that I can tell)?! Huh crazy!

cmw45

cmw,

that makes so much sense! I really stopped wearing my hair out just because of the hassle of wearing it out and have been doing more individual braids, twists and then straightened hair for a week. Do you know that I have NO knots (at least that I can tell)?! Huh crazy!

:yep: Not at all surprised. This is the longest I have been without ssks, since I started getting them (about a year into my natural journey). For the longest time I mistakenly assumed that only wash n' gos resulted in ssks. :nono: Once I was willing to admit that my beloved braidouts also caused ssks and stopped doing them I haven't had a one. If I remain ssk free for six months, and retain length, I think I will completely give up the idea of texturizing (or using anytype of chemical).

Sorry for the temporary thread hijack Chicoro. :look:

Angelicus

For my relaxed hair, if the ends of my hair cannot keep a curl, they have to get snipped. I had to play "The Magnificent Butcher" on my hair just a couple of weeks ago just because of my ends being raggedy.

silenttullip

I second that emotion

don't snip them, in particular if you are natural. my ends have a crunchy feel and when i go for my dusting 2-3 times a year they are usually fine. a indicator that i need a trim is when my hair gets tangly. i suggest pre-pooing with heat or dc and coating your ends with moisturizer or moisturize/seal several times a week. i think with natural hair this is commonplace as it is an issue for me. fortunately my hair is not damaged to the point that a heavy trim or cut has to be performed.
bumping........

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Ladies,
Thank you for your responses. Summarizing what you all said, for most everyone, crunchy hair is not enough reason to cut your hair, just because it FEELS crunchy. That is just one indication to which you may need to pay attention. Paying attention might include, being aware of the change in season or increasing the amount of moisture and sealing you do to the hair.

If none of the above makes changes on your hair, then you all go to the next step. Those next steps are to do a kind of 'ends check'. That includes looking for hair that has excessive split ends you can see, tangles [too many] on the ends, fuzzy, frayed, chewed ends or ends that start to curl back on themselves.

Also, if after using heat, the ends still look bad, this also may be a time to maybe think about dusting or trimming.

These are great responses, ladies. Based upon looking at the incredible heads or hair of people who posted in this thread, and the gains in health and length you have, I see a common pattern or approach you have to cutting and trimming- and WHY your hair looks good.

I think that pattern is three (3) step:
  1. Pay attention: Pay attention to the condition of the ends of your hair.
  2. Make Small Changes In Products and Routine:If you notice ends that are crunchy, or dry, try to make some changes before picking up the scissors.
    • Keep in mind that the season could be impacting your hair.
    • Identify any product changes you may need to make.
    • Try to increase the frequency of the way you moisture, seal and protect your hair with your current products and routine.
  3. Trim/Cut Last: If you don't notice a change, ends don't lay 'right', or you can see split ends, go for a dusting or a trim.
The main idea that I take from all of your comments and suggestions is that trimming and cutting are never the FIRST course of action for ends that need some loving care. Try steps 1 and 2 first, only then consider step 3! I agree with your wonderful, responses - and can see the proof from your pretty heads of hair.