Snip. snip. snip...

godzooki

So I got my touch up today after 12 wks and I must say I'm pretty happy with it. I've gotten way more growth this yr than I ever imagined I would. Especially considering I did a pretty significant cut at the end of last yr and was depressed that I had lost so much ground due to breakage. I'm glad to say I'm back on track, yay!

Any hoo... I should mention my last touch up...She pulled out the scissors. I saw them coming and was like "Um. No thank you." She tried to give me the speel about trimming and such but I was still sore over my major cut earlier so I said no. Then I thought about my ends and told her that I would think about it for next time...Fast forward 6 weeks. (6 weeks ago). I go in for a deep condtioning due to her pressuring and...well, my just wanting to have my hair shampoo'd and my scalp scrubbed:grin:. That was great. She did a wonderful job. Only problem was while she was flat ironing she snuck out the scissors and without even asking me began to give me a trim. I was mad at first but then I thought about how my ends had been looking a little raggedy so I decided not to stop her. But I did go "Are you doing a small trim?" She said yes and that she thought she'd talked to me about it last time. Yeah she did but I never agreed to it. I ended up being very pleased with the trim after all was said and done. She did a really good job. I left it at that.

So, now fast forward to today. I get my touch up and everything is fine. She does a great job once again. So she's about to get the curlers to give my ends a little bump when I hear this "snip...snip...snip..." :ohwell: Here we go again.

Me: "Do you have scissors?"
Her: "Yes. I'm just trimming."
Me: "I don't want a trim this time. No thank you. I got a trim 6 weeks ago."
Her: "But you need to trim every 6 weeks!"
Me: "No, I'm trying to grow my hair."
Her: "That's how you make it grow! You have to trim every 6 weeks! Cut off the dead ends."
I refrained from saying it was all dead ends and instead said I did not want a trim this time. A trim every 6 weeks is too much for me. She tried to argue and told me to go to online and I'd see that in order for hair to grow I had to trim every 6 weeks. I still said no thank you and reluctantly she put the scissors down going. "Ok, not this time. But make an appt. in 6 wks for you condition and we'll do it then." I told her we would see what my ends looked like then and then I would decide.

Sigh...I looked at my ends when I got home. I do not need a trim! Why does she insist on trimming my hair every time she sees me? She has never charged me for the trims she's done so it can't be about adding fees to the service... I did make an appt in 6 wks for another deep cond. (just for the scalp treatment I get) but I already know I'm going to be fighting with her again over a trim...

Do you guys think I'd get better growth with trims every 6 weeks??? How about every 12 weeks? I just hate seeing my progress chipped away but I know sometimes the ends really need it...
Here is what my ends looked like when I let her trim them 6 wks ago. I admit I needed a trim then...

And after the trim.

And today's relaxer. She tried to trim again!

I really don't think I needed a trim. I don't have any split ends. Do you think she's just trim happy or really trying to help me with my growth?

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Scissor Happy Stylist Tries to Strike Again, girl, your ends are fine - you did not need a trim, i'm so happy you stood your ground...on the other hand, i just cut 3 inches off my ends, they were thin and i just couldn't handle it...i'm praying to regain the length in 2 months, tops.

Junebug D

Scissor happy. I don't understand the myth that trimming makes your hair grow. People do understand that hair grows from your scalp regardless of what you do to your ends, right? :rolleyes:

msa

Trimming your ends has no affect on hair growth out of your scalp so I don't believe in trimming unless your ends are damaged/split. If your hair is not damaged then there is no need to trim. If you let her trim every 6 weeks, you will be allowing her to trim away all of your progress.

She is obviously misinformed and scissor happy. If she insists on not following your directions on what to do with your own hair, consider another stylist. The fact that she just starts trimming without even asking you about it would have had me out of her chair a long time ago.

Your hair is beautiful by the way. You obviously know what you're doing so keep doing it and don't let her sway you from it.

Sarahh.

You did a good job at being assertive with her and standing up for your hair and it's ends! I think they look fine and I agree you don't need a trim. Your whole hair looks great by the way. :yep:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
The 1st pic I would have just let her even it up a bit, but the last pic you are good.
I dont really like your stylist, you dont do anything to MY hair w/o asking ME.
I went and got a trim today, I had one 8 weeks ago. I will be trimming every 16 wks, and dusting on 8 wks in between.

winnettag

Girl, you did NOT need a trim! You make sure you tell her not to bring out any scissors the second you step in the door next time.
She thinks she's helping, but she's just scissor happy. AT least she trimmed and didn't cut.

Zabrinnna

Sjust wanting to have my hair shampoo'd and my scalp scrubbed:grin:.

LOL:lachen:. That is the best feeling ever. Pure Heaven:rofl:

You are ultimately the one who determines the trim schedule, based on your upkeep. I know it is hard to do, but stylist are expensive and you are paying them to do what you want. I keep that in mind everytime I go. If I do not get what I want I will not go back. The days of any stylist messing in my hair and me just taking it is gone. I say go no more "Miss Nice Girl". Demand for her to do what you want.

Yeah in that first picture you needed a trim, but I could say that you can go at least another relaxer with out a trim. Typically the more you trim the hair the more even it is, thicker, etc. However a lot of ladies make goal first before following 8 to 10 week trims.

Last edited:

guyanesesista

Girl I'm glad you stopped her. Your ends look great and your hair is lovely. Your stylist was annoying me. Tell her NOT to do anything your hair without asking you first. Especially when it comes to scissors. I'd explain to her that I'd take a trim when I ASK her to other than that she shouldn't have scissors in her hands unless she's gonna trim someone else's hair. But in a nicer way of course. :)

yuriko

Its not her fault, she really doesn't know any better. I was lead to believe that constant trimming makes the hair grow faster. I have heard it from so many people. But I think it is very disrespectful that she tries to trim without your permission. I appreciate when it is suggested, but she should really do as you say, as you are paying her for a service. Sigh.. Reminds me of the days when I was victim to all that triming

And honey child, your ends look gorgeous is the second pic. you don't need a trim.

SleepyJean

I don't think you NEED to trim your ends every six weeks. This practice is what kept my hair a nape length for years. My hair has grown wonderfully since I stopped getting frequent trims from my stylist. My stylist has even commented. She said she was proud. :grin: Trims can get rid of all progress depending on the growth rate of your hair. My hair only grows .25 of an inch per month. I can't get .5 inch trims(which I did for years) and expect progress. My mom has gotten presses for years, and she has always had hair past APL(usually at BSL). Her hair is this length because she watch those SHS like a hawk! She told me she has had so many stylists allegedly trim her hair to SL to get rid of dead ends. She had to put a stop to that, and you should too, if you feel it is unnecessary.

Last edited:

RubyWoo

No, you didn't need a trim and your ends look just fine to me! BTW, beautiful hair :)!

Also, I really don't like how she proceeds to trim without your permission. That's just a big NO-NO imo.

beans4reezy

You do not need a trim!!! Your hair is not only long, it is thick, and the ends look healthy. Truth be told, your hair probably looks better than your stylists! You need a stylist who respects your choices when it comes to your hair.

I wish I had hair like yours, and if I did....I WOULDN'T TRIM AT ALL!!!!

sqzbly1908

Your have lovely hair and the stylist should have made sure that your instructions were clear, however, the end results are just as lovely. Now since she has done that, next time you go and before anything begins, tell her exactly what you want so there will not be any misunderstanding...

gissellr78

So I got my touch up today after 12 wks and I must say I'm pretty happy with it. I've gotten way more growth this yr than I ever imagined I would. Especially considering I did a pretty significant cut at the end of last yr and was depressed that I had lost so much ground due to breakage. I'm glad to say I'm back on track, yay!

Any hoo... I should mention my last touch up...She pulled out the scissors. I saw them coming and was like "Um. No thank you." She tried to give me the speel about trimming and such but I was still sore over my major cut earlier so I said no. Then I thought about my ends and told her that I would think about it for next time...Fast forward 6 weeks. (6 weeks ago). I go in for a deep condtioning due to her pressuring and...well, my just wanting to have my hair shampoo'd and my scalp scrubbed:grin:. That was great. She did a wonderful job. Only problem was while she was flat ironing she snuck out the scissors and without even asking me began to give me a trim. I was mad at first but then I thought about how my ends had been looking a little raggedy so I decided not to stop her. But I did go "Are you doing a small trim?" She said yes and that she thought she'd talked to me about it last time. Yeah she did but I never agreed to it. I ended up being very pleased with the trim after all was said and done. She did a really good job. I left it at that.

So, now fast forward to today. I get my touch up and everything is fine. She does a great job once again. So she's about to get the curlers to give my ends a little bump when I hear this "snip...snip...snip..." :ohwell: Here we go again.

Me: "Do you have scissors?"
Her: "Yes. I'm just trimming."
Me: "I don't want a trim this time. No thank you. I got a trim 6 weeks ago."
Her: "But you need to trim every 6 weeks!"
Me: "No, I'm trying to grow my hair."
Her: "That's how you make it grow! You have to trim every 6 weeks! Cut off the dead ends."
I refrained from saying it was all dead ends and instead said I did not want a trim this time. A trim every 6 weeks is too much for me. She tried to argue and told me to go to online and I'd see that in order for hair to grow I had to trim every 6 weeks. I still said no thank you and reluctantly she put the scissors down going. "Ok, not this time. But make an appt. in 6 wks for you condition and we'll do it then." I told her we would see what my ends looked like then and then I would decide.

Sigh...I looked at my ends when I got home. I do not need a trim! Why does she insist on trimming my hair every time she sees me? She has never charged me for the trims she's done so it can't be about adding fees to the service... I did make an appt in 6 wks for another deep cond. (just for the scalp treatment I get) but I already know I'm going to be fighting with her again over a trim...

Do you guys think I'd get better growth with trims every 6 weeks??? How about every 12 weeks? I just hate seeing my progress chipped away but I know sometimes the ends really need it...
Here is what my ends looked like when I let her trim them 6 wks ago. I admit I needed a trim then...

And after the trim.

And today's relaxer. She tried to trim again!

I really don't think I needed a trim. I don't have any split ends. Do you think she's just trim happy or really trying to help me with my growth?

You needed a trim on the 1st pic not the 2nd time around!!!!!!Tell your stylist you do not want a trim every 6 weeks...

TLC1020

Your hair looks good.. I know how you feel about stylists w/scissors I feel the same way :nono:.. I feel you about the setback :wallbash: right now I am 12.5 weeks post and will be relaxing soon but I don't know how I feel about it.. I had to cut 3.5" inches off do to breakage and shedding which led to thin and see thru ends :cry:

I like your hair it is so full and even :grin::grin:

tenderheaded

With 4 active kids, you've done a fabulous job on your hair! Tell the scissor demon to "back away from the scissors"! Thanks so much for posting pics, and just say "no" to scissors!!!!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Ever 6wks.;'[?;@ she lost her mind, good you know better. If you did decide to trim every 12wks or so I would be afraid to let her do it, she may give you a cut instead of a trim. You should have told her to look on line at the evidence, that triming every 6wks is not necessary or true.

Nonie

She's definitely trim happy. Your hair looks fine to me. Put another way, it's absolutely beautiful. :yep:

Faith

Hey Babe :)

It's Swttng from BHCAB. Long time no see. Haven't seen you on BHCAB for a while now.
Your hair looks great. Sorry that your stylist failed to listen. Couldn't you trim it yourself or get a friend you trust to do it?

NYAmicas

Seeker
After I had a trim in Philly then 2 weeks later another stylist told me she had to trim again I really started giving the ScissorHands a side eye....smh. I'm convinced that some dont really want your hair to go anywhere since they're always set on cutting it.

godzooki

Hey Swttng!! Nice to see ya! I thought BHCAB moved right? Can you pm me the new addy in case I can't find it?

And thanks guys I really appreciate the input and comments...I seem to constantly have these types of battles with every stylist I go to! There was one lady there with beautiful hair past bsl and my hairdresser was really gleeful and giddy as she told me "That's my new client. She's getting the 'Rhianna' cut!" I was like "Um...Cool." but thinking. "No way! Don't even suggest it!"