Dry, dull and lackluster hair

kandi1280

I'm going through that phase in my hair right now and I can't figure it out.

I clarified my hair on sunday after pree pooing with Queen Helen cholesterol mixed with Olive Oil and Coconut oil. After washing I rollerset it, but there was no shine to it and my hair was stiff to boot. (And yes I did use a moisturizing conditioner after my wash).

I'm thinking it could be one of two things:

1.) I switched from Affirm regular relaxer to Mizani, because the affirm made my hair too straight. Now the Mizani seems to wear off much faster, and I feel I need to touch it up already and its only been 5 weeks! With affirm I usually stretch to 10.

2.) The Queen Helen Cholesterol could also be the culprit. I hadn't used it since I was natural. My hair probably just doesn't care for it?

I've tried the whole head baggy at night, but when I take the cap off, its great at first until it dries.

So I'm back at square one. Anyone have any suggestions, or have any of you experienced dryness with Mizani?

CoCoEspresso

I have recently incorporated cowashing into my regime and it has made a difference. I cowash once a week and I poo once a week as well. To save time, I have made DC mixes, apply them to my hair while dry, seal with oil and sit under the dryer for 30 minutes. When I cowash, I apply a instant conditioner as a rinse and leave on for a minute, then I apply my detangling mix and let sit for 5 minutes, detangle and rinse. Voila! Moisturized hair. Another change that I have made is applying my leave-ins and sealing with oil while wet. I rollerset as normal, and my hair feels so soft. I think the last part is integral in restoring moisture. The way I see it, is that water is the ultimate moisturizer, so why not trap that moisture while it is soaking wet? Drying hair, then applying a moisturizer is kind of counterproductive. Don't get me wrong, I still moisturize daily, but it is for maintenance.
I used to use Mizani when I used to go to the salon, but that was nearly two years ago, so I cannot answer your question.
HTH:)

longhairluva

I'm not an expert by far but I think if you prepoo then clarify, you have wasted time pre-pooing. The clarifier strips that away. I don't know if I am making sense.

Someone please correct me if this isn't true. I thought I read that somewhere.:)

LocksOfLuV

longhairluva said:
I'm not an expert by far but I think if you prepoo then clarify, you have wasted time pre-pooing. The clarifier strips that away. I don't know if I am making sense.

Someone please correct me if this isn't true. I thought I read that somewhere.:)

True true.

The point of clarifying IS to strip your hair of gunk. I think you defeated the purpose by pre-pooing beforehand.

Personally? I would clarify all over again (without the prepoo) and give myself an instense deep moisturizing conditioner.

janeemat

longhairluva said:

I agree. Definitely a waste to prepoo then clarify.

CoCoEspresso

Well I guess I can understand both POVs. I think people prepoo to moisturize and strengthen hair before pooing which can be harsh and drying. I guess she figured that clarifying is even more harsh on the hair, and so she needed to prepoo. Correct me if I am wrong.:) I do it all the time. Really my prepooing just consists of DCing w/heat on dry hair. It works fine for me.

kandi1280

CoCoEspresso said:
Well I guess I can understand both POVs. I think people prepoo to moisturize and strengthen hair before pooing which can be harsh and drying. I guess she figured that clarifying is even more harsh on the hair, and so she needed to prepoo. Correct me if I am wrong.:) I do it all the time. Really my prepooing just consists of DCing w/heat on dry hair. It works fine for me.

Exactly. I've always pree-poo'd then clarified. My hair never had a problem and still got rid of the product buildup, without being harshly dired out in the process.

But I think I found the culprit. My BF has been using my hair brush to brush his waves, because he kept leaving his at his place. I didn't notice it until I saw him brushing away this morning! :eek:

Lol he got a :orders: :spank: for getting all his curl wave pomade and crap all over my brush! That stuff is all darn near petroleum based which is heavier than my natural oils, so in this instance the pree-poo made it worse because of his pomade residue on my hair.

I will clarify tonight without the preepoo to get that crap off my hair. And see what happens.

Thanks for the advice ladies, it was most certainly appreciated.

CoCoEspresso

kandi1280 said:
Exactly. I've always pree-poo'd then clarified. My hair never had a problem and still got rid of the product buildup, without being harshly dired out in the process.

But I think I found the culprit. My BF has been using my hair brush to brush his waves, because he kept leaving his at his place. I didn't notice it until I saw him brushing away this morning! :eek:

Lol he got a :orders: :spank: for getting all his curl wave pomade and crap all over my brush! That stuff is all darn near petroleum based which is heavier than my natural oils, so in this instance the pree-poo made it worse because of his pomade residue on my hair.

I will clarify tonight without the preepoo to get that crap off my hair. And see what happens.

Thanks for the advice ladies, it was most certainly appreciated.

Okay! That makes so much sense. All of those hair products where causing buildup that would make a normally effective part of your regime counterproductive. I'm happy for you. It's always good to find the culprit for setbacks. Yeah... I say you hide the brush or make him purchase his own. :D

Mook's hair

kandi1280 said:

My husband claimed my boar bristle brush - as his own and now he gets mad if I use it. And I cannot find the same brush anymore. I got another with boar bristles but the one he stole is way better.

kandi1280

Mook's hair said:
My husband claimed my boar bristle brush - as his own and now he gets mad if I use it. And I cannot find the same brush anymore. I got another with boar bristles but the one he stole is way better.

LOL, I have to find a new brush too. I clarified my brush but, in my mind I just *imagine* how much buildup it has. Besides he brushes so hard he wore my bristles out. So I'll be shopping for a new one today. His pomade in my hair is a big :naughty:

MonaRae

Try honey! I started using it last week and my hair looks great. I just add it to my henna treatment or my condish and sit under the dryer with it. I love it and will never do without it.

kandi1280

MonaRae said:
Try honey! I started using it last week and my hair looks great. I just add it to my henna treatment or my condish and sit under the dryer with it. I love it and will never do without it.

I used to use honey before and never really had rave reviews about it. Do you heat yours then add it to stuff or use it directly? I will be trying to Henna my hair today to strengthen it for my relaxer on Sunday. It will be my first Henna so I'm nervous.