Dry hair and exercise PLEASE help!!!!

leigh.hill

I am a newcomer to the LHCF and I am already hooked! I workout 4-5 times a week. I have never wanted to avoid working out to maintain my hair so my relaxed hair has always just just "okay". Last summer I discovered co-washing. What a lifesaver! However, I was co-washing and roller setting, yes rolller setting my hair almost everyday! Now I have learned about protective styles, but I still need some help on products. Anyone have any suggestions for what to used after I co-wash? I co-wash about 4-5 times a week. I was using ORS carrot oil, with the Neut. leave-in condition and coconut oil, then air dried my hair with scarf but it was pretty dry the next morning. Please help! I would say the longest part of my hair is 5 inches - not short hair not medium length either. Thanks ladies!!!!​

I work out 4x a week too. Corn rows + full wig = life saver
I also use taliah waajid moisturizer. I co-wash in cornrows as well.

I like Paul Mitchell the Conditioner or sometimes just a regular conditioner as a leave in.

Do you deep condition? If your hair is not retaining moisture you may need to deep condition or maybe add some protein to your regimen.

Do you air dry loose or in braids?

Hey,

I work about 3-4 days a week also. It keeps me stress free and healthy. Anyway, off topic. I also co-wash on the days that I workout. I will usually co-wash with V05 moisture milks or Hair One. I twist my hair and let it dry a little and then use Herbal Essences Long-Term Leave in to may hair. I will usually seal this with avocado oil in the winter. It is heavy. In the summer I will use cocounut or proclaim natural seven oil. This works well for me. I do bun while my hair is still a little damp and I think this helps to retain moisture in the hair. I then tie it down with a silk scarf and the next day it is still soft and it feels moisturized. HHG

OMG you ladies are simply amazing. I dc and shampoo once a week. I usually use salon exclusives moisture silk cream conditioner. As for the protein condition, I have Nexxus Keraphix reconstructive strengthening condition. Now that I have typed that I don't think it is even a protein condition. Dang!

Thanks for the welcome! I air dryed for the first time last night. The back of my hair was lightly twisted and bobbi-pinned in place.

I work out 4x a week too. Corn rows + full wig = life saver
I also use taliah waajid moisturizer. I co-wash in cornrows as well.

you work out in your wig?
what type of work out do you do? My hair gets drenched when I work ou so i'm scared. What type of wig do you wear? I know my synthetic would not make it out alive. Lol

i protective style with wigs but have my scarf on when I workout. i wash only once a week but moisturize 3-5 times a week concentrating on my ends. i work out 3-6 times a week depending on my schedule. my mositurizers/ leave-ins include kbb hair milk or nectar and afroveda define or shea amla.

WELCOME GIRL :)

Last edited:
When do you exercise? If you exercise in the early evening, perhaps you could slather your hair in conditioner, don a plastic cap and put a skullcap on top of it during your exercise and give yourself a deep conditioning treatment while you flex your muscles. After your workout you could rinse it out, co-wash, let it air dry partially, twist it into bantu knots overnight, and rock fabulous waves the next day until it's time to start the process all over again. :yep:

I workout in the evening after work, but in the summer time I workout in the morning. That is a great suggestion! Thx!

I workout in the evening after work, but in the summer time I workout in the morning. That is a great suggestion! Thx!
Please let me know if it works out for you. :grin: I like to do this whenever I attend Bikram Yoga classes. I get a nice steam hair treatment and a great workout at the same time.

When do you exercise? If you exercise in the early evening, perhaps you could slather your hair in conditioner, don a plastic cap and put a skullcap on top of it during your exercise and give yourself a deep conditioning treatment while you flex your muscles. After your workout you could rinse it out, co-wash, let it air dry partially, twist it into bantu knots overnight, and rock fabulous waves the next day until it's time to start the process all over again. :yep:

I agree with this specific tip. I have to let my hair get damp before adding my moisturizer. If I put the moisturizer on soaking wet hair, my hair is still dry and crunchy afterwards. Air drying doesn't work for me, but I sit under my hood dryer with my hair straight to get it from soaking wet to damp. Then I put in my Amla Heavy Cream and braid it up. From there, I may sit under the dryer 30 additional minutes then go to bed with the braids and a satin cap. I've had the best, moistest braidout ever by doing this.

Welcome to LHCF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am working out 5 days a week. What helps to keep my hair moist is that I damp bun my hair. Everyday I use scurl and hair gel and bun my hair. I wear my hair like my signature picture everyday. The only thing is I wear 2 buns instead on the 3 in my picture. I have no dryness and it is such an easy hairstyle.

I just started working out again, and noticed that my hair had really been dry. Even when cowashing, I didn't even put two and two together until reading this thread. I just started putting more oil than usual in my hair hoping it would work and it did. Thanks OP for started this thread, and thanks for the advice ladies, now I have other remedies to try....

Back