Dry Scalp... is it just me???

Shawnee66

My hair is a 4b and I find as soon as my hair starts to grow out after a relaxer my scalp gets dry and itches like crazy (but no flakes). Nothing I do seems to help. I have tried condition washes every other day, thought that was too much so I tried twice a week that didn't work. I tried only shampooing twice a month that didn't work. Can someone please help me!!!!

webby

Think Slim
Have you tried lightly oiling your scalp with something like jojoba oil, or even olive oil? You can try massaging a little into the scalp.

Shawnee66

tried that too webby. I even switched from no lye relaxer to lye and that didn't help either. I have been to dermatologist and she doesn't see anything wrong with my scalp.

webby

Think Slim
I used to have that problem too and switched shampoos. I use only Cream of Nature Shampoo with conditioner.
Also, I stopped handling my hair so much, because it seemed that handling the new growth too much made it seem as if the scalp was itching, but it was actually sore from digging.

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
you may just have a dry scalp. try to put a light oil on it after washing. it should ease some of the dryness and itchiness!

=0)

Leslie_C

well try using a different oil...Ive had the same problem and one oil I was using made it worse(Africas best carrot tea tree formula)...well I tried the Africas Best Herbal Oil and it works like a charm...also natures natural vitamin E oil...and coconut oil all work nicely. No more dry itchy scalp for me.

Also, when u wash or rinse, make sure u are really getting your scalp clean. Let the water run over all parts of it for quite some time. Make sure u throughally rinse the shampoo and conditioner out really good. this has made a big difference since Ive consciously started doing all the above.

Carlie

Have you tried coconut oil? It literally worked wonders for me.

Wildflower

Grow, hair,Grow!!!
I'm having that problem to, but I'm getting flakes too. I even started using head and shoulders, but it's drying out my hair. I'm also oiling my scalp a little, but it's been really tough to keep the itchies at bay. I only get that after a couple of months after relaxing. My husband is saying that I must be allergic to one of my conditioners. It's probably the kenra IET or the neutrogena triple moisture conditioner. I hope it isn't, because I my hair loves them so much, but I think my scalp hates them.

Shawnee66

I am starting to believe that my new growth is very dry compared to the relaxed hair, that might be why it itches. I made a mixture of distilled water, suave milk and honey, rosemary oil, parnevu T-Tree scalp oil and coconut oil. I sprayed it on my scalp last night and this morning my scalp is feeling much better. I sprayed it again tonight and I think this working.

Carlie

[ QUOTE ]
Shawnee66 said:
I am starting to believe that my new growth is very dry compared to the relaxed hair, that might be why it itches. I made a mixture of distilled water, suave milk and honey, rosemary oil, parnevu T-Tree scalp oil and coconut oil. I sprayed it on my scalp last night and this morning my scalp is feeling much better. I sprayed it again tonight and I think this working.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to hear that you found something that works for you!
I know when I found what worked for my scalp, it was like finding gold, because is was such a much needed relief.

lalah

I had the same problem. I tried Marc's medicated lano-luster on my scalp right after wahing and I it worked for me. It feels like seabreeze when you first put in on your scalp- it contains menthol.

I had to do something fast because all that scratching was making me think that i was breaking my hair because of all the short fly aways sticking out.

B

ballet_bun

[ QUOTE ]
Wildflower said:
I'm having that problem to, but I'm getting flakes too. I even started using head and shoulders, but it's drying out my hair. I'm also oiling my scalp a little, but it's been really tough to keep the itchies at bay. I only get that after a couple of months after relaxing. My husband is saying that I must be allergic to one of my conditioners. It's probably the kenra IET or the neutrogena triple moisture conditioner. I hope it isn't, because I my hair loves them so much, but I think my scalp hates them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was having this problem really bad before I found the forum. SOmeone recommended that I take EFA's such as flax seed oil, evening primrose oil, even taking 1 tablespoon of EVOO with each of your meals could help. I also started using ORS Uplifting Shampoo. I always keep a bottle of this on hand for emergencies. Also, Carolyn Grays HHIAB is good on the scalp after washing. Be careful using it though, because of the combination of essential oils ... they make me feel alert and awake, so I have ot use it during the day. Part of my scalp problems too was anemia. Make sure you are getting enough iron in your diet with the foods you are eating. Ohhh ... I almost forgot ... doing pre-poo treatments helped me too!

HTH

<font color="pink"> Ballet Bun ... </font>

Leslie_C

how about just making sure the conditioners are applied to your hair only instead of letting it get on the scalp. they say shampoo is meant for the scalp and conditioner is meant for the hair anyway...

Shawnee66

My Mixture is not working. This itchy scalp is killing me. It is causing breakage because I see the short hairs.

Lalah where can I find Marc's medicated lano-luster.

I take flaxseed oil and evening primrose everyday.

so1913

Have you tried a shampoo and conditioner for dry and itchy scalp? KeraCare has a pretty good one, it worked wonders for my sister. They also have dry and itchy scalp glossifier

greAtness333

Sometimes if you scratch too much that causes little abrasions which could cause you to scratch even more b/c your scalp itches.

Shawnee66

greatness I think you are right.

I used aloe vera shampoo and conditioner on it the day before yesterday and the new growth is still dry but my scalp is not as itchy as before.

GodMadeMePretty

My scalp was itching like crazy a couple of weeks ago. I figured that it must be some product on my scalp. I got out the Cream of Nature shampoo and put it on my scalp like I was oiling it. I did this dry. Then I massaged it and lightly scraped my scalp with both a comb and my fingernails. Then I hopped in the shower and massaged some more. Nipped that problem in the bud.