dry stiripped OVERWASHED hair? Help!

envybeauty

Ok....so for over 7 days straight I would condition wash my hair. On some of those days, I applied clarifying shampoo and/or baking soda JUST TO my scalp because the conditioner would get on my scalp, cause a huge build up of white gunk, and leave me with the itchies. Sometimes, I used my beloved keracare poo to wash but to moisturize. Then followed with more conditioner:wallbash:

I was adding conditioner to dry hair (Silicon mix mostly, sometimes mixing it with oil (olive oil, or a protein, or whatever). Sometimes I slept overnight with the conditioner in my hair, rinsed in the morning, added more conditioner, let airdry, rinsed at night, repeat cycle. :perplexed

Now, my hair is a dry mess. I tried moisturizing (Loreal leave in in orange bottle) and sealing (coconut oil). It feels as if the oil is literally sitting on my strands which feel very greasy, dry underneath, and stripped.

I even tried adding oil, then rinsing with conditioner, followed by vinegar rinse. TO no avail. :nono:

WHAT DO I DO NOW?? MY hair is a dry mess. I am thinking to go to the dominicans for a roller set but I don't want them to shampoo my hair to dry it out even more.

HELP!! SOS!!!

northernbelle

I am by far not one of the experts of the board, but, it seems to me that you are using/have used too many different products, and they are working against each other. I say give yourself a light shampooing with a moisturizing shampoo, followed by a good deep conditioning treatment to replace some of the moisture, followed by a good leave in. You may also want to ease up on the washing.

What do others recommend?

Last edited:

LynnieB

sounds like classic silicone buildup.

clarify your entire length of hair - i'd wash, rinse and repeat. now do some intensive deep conditioning preferably with something that doesn't contain cones.

gymfreak336

When my hair feels like this I wash with a tiny, I mean tiny amount of CON shampoo, then I deep condition with something like Pantene breakage defense mask or Aubrey Organics conditioner for at least an hour. Then I leave it alone for as long a possible.

envybeauty

Thanks ladies!! :grin:

It did not occur to me that I had silicone buildup. I was just so focused on the conditioning part that I couldn't figure out why my hair was not getting moisturized with all this conditioning every night.

kitkat3ny

The last time this happened to me, I DC 2x a week and used henna.

Personally I was using Silicon mix at the time for my CW and it was a factor in my severe dryness. I think it has mineral oil it and my strands were being just coated instead of moisturized. It took a couple weeks for some softness to come back and a couple months of this regimen for the hair to permanently feel soft.

envybeauty

The last time this happened to me, I DC 2x a week and used henna.

Personally I was using Silicon mix at the time for my CW and it was a factor in my severe dryness. I think it has mineral oil it and my strands were being just coated instead of moisturized. It took a couple weeks for some softness to come back and a couple months of this regimen for the hair to permanently feel soft.

whooooosa....months you say?!? I am hoping for overnight. Big event tomorrow that a sista wants to look good for.

I am going to lay off of Silicon Mix for CW. It is not good for that at all.

natstar

I would say the same as northernbelle. Just start fresh and after you apply your leave in-leave it alone. It will take a day or two to get back to normal. After about a day I would apply a cream and an oil as a sealant. I would not wash my hair for at least a week. Wheneve my hair feels really dry even afyer I apply my leave in, I apply me cream (Qhemet Amla & Olive cream along with Wild Growth Hair oil) Works everytime. Good luck OP. Just leave the washing alon for a bit.

envybeauty

THANK YOU LADIES!!!!!:grin:

I clarified twice since then and the difference in my hair is unbelieveable....it is so much softer and MOISTURIZED! I avoided cones the first few days and then used only a litttle silicon mix in my DC.

I don't know why I didn't realize what the problem was sooner.