Dull Rough Hair

AveMaria

Well, I'm not an expert. But my hair has always been dry and dull looking. When I am stretching its 10 times worse. The only thing that really works on my NG for shine is coconut oil. Pure and unrefined, right out the grocery store. I've tried jojoba, almond, olive, emu, and commercially mixed oil blends. Nothing beats coconut for shine. And it just smells so d@mn good!

It is very precious of you to give me a review of coconut oil that also tells about your experience with other oils. I do hope to try coconut oil on my own ASAP. :love:

AveMaria

With 4a hair you don't get that much shine, unless you stretch it in some way. Also, you're hair may not like oils by itself on it (learned that the hard/rough way, pun intended). In order for me to but oil on my hair I have to mix it with something first. I usually use shea butter. Leaves my hair feeling soft and gives a nice shine to it.

Thanks for the heads ups and the tips! What do you mean by 'your hair may not like oils by itself'? I don't understand. :perplexed How does it help to mix something with the oil?

DaDragonPrincess

Jojoba Oil,Coconut Oil,Pure Virgin Olive Oil

My favorite for moisture:
Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Rich Moisturlizing Hair Lotion 11 bucks at Sally's , but worth it.

My favorites light moisture:
Earbal Essence Long Term Relationship
Neutrogena Triple Moisture

PerplexingComplex

Thanks for the heads ups and the tips! What do you mean by 'your hair may not like oils by itself'? I don't understand. :perplexed How does it help to mix something with the oil?

Honestly, I don't know. lol I've tried shea butter by itself and all it did was make my hair soft and give it sheen (I wanted more bling in my hair, lol). It may just be the amount of oil I was/am using. With a 6oz tub of shea butter i'll mix only 1-2tbsp of oil. I know using it by itself, I would use more of that each time I would apply it. So, I think less maybe more with my hair concerning oils. The shea butter may help keep in more moisture than the oil does by itself, so I get the moisture with the added shine. JMO

LaidBak

It is very precious of you to give me a review of coconut oil that also tells about your experience with other oils. I do hope to try coconut oil on my own ASAP. :love:

Always glad to help. I've been experimenting with different things ever since I joined the site. I've pretty much figured out how my hair (and skin) react to each of those oils. They are all great, but each one has a purpose that its best suited for.

starfish79

Use a clarifying shampoo, ACV rinses, drink lots of water and take a omega-3 supplement. That should help...oh, and personally I steer clear of cones.