Dull Rough Hair

AveMaria

My hair is natural and strong and growing longer daily. My only problem is the way it looks. It just doesn't look shiny or moisturized. It might be healthy but I want it to look more silky or luxorious. Is the only way with a flat iron and heat? Or can I get this look with heavy silicones? (I've heard such negative things about silicones causing long-term breakage that I'm afraid to use heavy silicones or pure silicone :blush:) I tried a shine spray and the results were neglible at best. :spinning: Its hard for me to feel that my hair looks professional or attractive instead of looking dull and rough and juvenile without improvement!

Denise11

Get some Chi Silk infusion. If you don't want to use silicones, coconut oil will do it, just add some to your dry hair.

Silicones does not cause long term breakage. I've used silicones since I was a kid (I'm in my 40's) and I don't have breakage. My hair is strong and healthy. Just clarify once a month to remove the buildup, you'll be fine. You can't believe EVERYTHING you hear on these boards, that's why so many people are having setbacks, believing everything they read.

Last edited:

pmichael52172

Thanks for the coconut oil tip. I washed this week for the first time because my stylist had to cancel on me and I used a silicone based heat protectant. My hair hasn't been it's usually, glossy self since. I had to wash again today because I couldn't take it. I'll flat iron in the morning... with coconut oil.

AveMaria

Thank you all for the tips :love: I haven't used coconut oil but I have used jojoba oil and olive oil and they help the hair with detangling, (I think) but not necessarily with just looking healthy and moisturized. Maybe your experience is that coconut oil better than these two oils? :confused: I'm not necessarily trying to straighten it, just want it to look less frizzy, dull, dry, and rough though I'd be happy with the hair staying the same length. :blush:

I looked up the ingredients of Chi Silk infusion and I have a silicone product that is hard-core just like these ingredients. I'm just worried about breakage! :blush: Has anyone ever had hair grow MB length or BSL or longer while using a heavy heavy silicone product? If so, was there anything special that you did to your hair to keep it from drying out and breaking? :yep: My hair right now is shoulder-length unstretched, longer than arm-pit length stretched. The growth is great, but the look is off! :blush:

syncerelyhis

The leave in I use has silicones in it and it is the only way my hair has the shine I like. As long as you clarify I think you should be fine....

AveMaria

The leave in I use has silicones in it and it is the only way my hair has the shine I like. As long as you clarify I think you should be fine....

It's lovely to hear that from you syncerelyhis, and your hair is long and lovely as well :love: How often do you clarify and what do you use to clarify? I do use silicones right now because I use Keracare Humecto which has silicones but I'm wondering about going to heavy duty silicones since the Keracare Humecto just doesn't seem to be doing the trick, very similar to those suggested by Denise21 in Chi Silk Infusion, though of a different brand. :drunk: Have you had experience with these heavy-duty silicones not damaging the hair? :confused: :confused: :confused:

AveMaria

Try ACV rinses. Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

Thanks for the suggestion! I just don't like washing my hair too much because I lose hair while detangling, I have to braid my hair up after washing to prevent matting, and it's time consuming. :sad: I might consider trying an ACV rinse the next time I wash my hair but I'm a worried about the long-term daily and professional maintainance. :sad: I am a water guzzler though. :grin:

Faith

If you want that softness and shine without having to use heat try Elucence Silk Hydrating Elixir

loolalooh

My hair is natural and strong and growing longer daily. My only problem is the way it looks. It just doesn't look shiny or moisturized. It might be healthy but I want it to look more silky or luxorious. Is the only way with a flat iron and heat? Or can I get this look with heavy silicones? (I've heard such negative things about silicones causing long-term breakage that I'm afraid to use heavy silicones or pure silicone :blush:) I tried a shine spray and the results were neglible at best. :spinning: Its hard for me to feel that my hair looks professional or attractive instead of looking dull and rough and juvenile without improvement!

If it's not broke, don't try to fix it.

ABOUT SHINE:
Some natural hair (like mine) does not 'shine' unless it's flat ironed. But that doesn't mean I'm going to pick up that flat iron. Now, if your hair has a 'sheen', that's sufficient. I can live with sheen.

ABOUT MOISTURE:
If your hair feels soft to the touch, that's sufficient. It doesn't have to 'look' moisturized. The way you know it's dry is if it feels dry, hard, brittle between your fingers. If that's the case, then look at changing the moisturizers you're using.

MY 2 CENTS:
To get the most sheen and moisture in your hair: sleep with a satin/silk scarf, moisturize regularly, deep condition regularly, and wear styles that lock in the moisture (like twists). Some naturals also say that using coconut oil, which really penetrates the strands, gives maximum sheen.

Last edited:

CenteredGirl

Natural shine on natural hair (particularly kinky hair like mine) comes with hard work. It involves massaging your hair in sections and pulling the sebum down your hair from the roots. This natural oil, when well distributed gives your hair both shine and unsurpassed manageability. It is better than a cone and better than any cheap or expensive conditioner on the market.

Oh you can PJ and buy up a storm, but you won't get that natural, beautiful sheen that you are looking for in a bottle. What you get is very temporary and can ultimately break your hair off.

I have been natural for over six years and it has been a long hard road. It doesn't have to be. I love my hair more in the last few months since I've learned to work with what I have naturally. It's been quite the experience.

Maybe you are not ready to embrace it now, but there may come a time, before you start to consider a texturizer like I did, when you just want "that hair" that every one on this board seems to have. I stopped looking outside and went inside. Changed my diet and have been dillengently hitting the gym to increase my sebum production and to get healthier, overall. Now my hair reflects it and I"m so grateful to God for making it so.

Peace out.

AveMaria

ABOUT SHINE:
Some natural hair (like mine) does not 'shine' unless it's flat ironed. But that doesn't mean I'm going to pick up that flat iron. Now, if your hair has a 'sheen', that's sufficient. I can live with sheen.

ABOUT MOISTURE:
If your hair feels soft to the touch, that's sufficient. It doesn't have to 'look' moisturized. The way you know it's dry is if it feels dry, hard, brittle between your fingers. If that's the case, then look at changing the moisturizers you're using.

MY 2 CENTS:
To get the most sheen and moisture in your hair: sleep with a satin/silk scarf, moisturize regularly, deep condition regularly, and wear styles that lock in the moisture (like twists). Some naturals also say that using coconut oil, which really penetrates the strands, gives maximum sheen.

Thanks for the advice and the concern about the health of my hair! :love: Yet, I have seen some naturals with shine. It's not necessarily shine that I am looking for. Shine is great but just looking moisturized, without a hint of dryness is awesome as well. For example, Chicoro's natural hair without flat ironing is very moisturized looking. Is this just a fact of her hair type or are there any products that I can use to make my hair look very moisturized? Should I be using mousse or gel? If so, which ones? :spinning:

I am being just a bit superficial although I think that this hair change also helps facilitate my life professionally and in my daily life. :blush: I'm not so worried about my hair's health and condition and length now, as much as about its look. :blush:

Is coconut oil really better than other oils like olive oil? :blush:

Thank you again most dearly for the concern! :yawn:

lollyoo

ABOUT SHINE:

ABOUT MOISTURE:

MY 2 CENTS:

I second this advice, I also have a natural hair that does not shine, just natural sheen.
The shine is out of this world though when I flat iron and I never use silicones.
Each hair is different, you can try silicone if you want to try, for me it always lead to dryness no matter what, even when I clarify. I found out, I will have to deep condition 2-3 x a week to get moisture back into hair, it was doing more harmthan good.
More over I dont have time for more than once a week deep conditioning.

AveMaria

Natural shine on natural hair (particularly kinky hair like mine) comes with hard work. It involves massaging your hair in sections and pulling the sebum down your hair from the roots. This natural oil, when well distributed gives your hair both shine and unsurpassed manageability. It is better than a cone and better than any cheap or expensive conditioner on the market.

Oh you can PJ and buy up a storm, but you won't get that natural, beautiful sheen that you are looking for in a bottle. What you get is very temporary and can ultimately break your hair off.

I have been natural for over six years and it has been a long hard road. It doesn't have to be. I love my hair more in the last few months since I've learned to work with what I have naturally. It's been quite the experience.

Maybe you are not ready to embrace it now, but there may come a time, before you start to consider a texturizer like I did, when you just want "that hair" that every one on this board seems to have. I stopped looking outside and went inside. Changed my diet and have been dillengently hitting the gym to increase my sebum production and to get healthier, overall. Now my hair reflects it and I"m so grateful to God for making it so.

Peace out.

Thank you very much for your advice! :love: I noticed on your fotki that you tried Henna and Billy Jay's Hairveda Whipped Baggy Cream. Maybe you wouldn't mind sharing the pros and cons, how these worked for you. I remember using henna once many years ago. I can't remember if it made my hair look glossier or not but I do remember it was extremely messy. :blush:

Massaging hair in sections and pulling sebum down to the roots does sound like extremely hard work and very time consuming! :sad: I have recently started taking multivitamins and I do hope that will pay off in the long run.

AveMaria

I second this advice, I also have a natural hair that does not shine, just natural sheen.
The shine is out of this world though when I flat iron and I never use silicones.
Each hair is different, you can try silicone if you want to try, for me it always lead to dryness no matter what, even when I clarify. I found out, I will have to deep condition 2-3 x a week to get moisture back into hair, it was doing more harmthan good.
More over I dont have time for more than once a week deep conditioning.

Thanks for the advice. I don't like to flat iron my hair though because I feel that the intense heat dries out my hair over the long run. My hair grows very quickly, without much breakage, at the minute. I hope that will continue and I attribute it mostly to protective styling and 0 heat. So I'm hoping for hair styling tricks that will keep me happy with my hair in a simple way (as simple as possible) without heat or expensiveness or extremely elaborate routines. My experience thus far is that the right products do really make a huge difference, and I am very cautiously experimenting with silicones to see if a) they make any difference and b) they dry out my hair. I don't think that I have time (or want to make the time) for more than once in two weeks deep conditioning, but who knows - that might change!:blush: :yawn:

lollyoo

Thanks for the advice and the concern about the health of my hair! :love: Yet, I have seen some naturals with shine. It's not necessarily shine that I am looking for. Shine is great but just looking moisturized, without a hint of dryness is awesome as well. For example, Chicoro's natural hair without flat ironing is very moisturized looking. Is this just a fact of her hair type or are there any products that I can use to make my hair look very moisturized? Should I be using mousse or gel? If so, which ones? :spinning:

I am being just a bit superficial although I think that this hair change also helps facilitate my life professionally and in my daily life. :blush: I'm not so worried about my hair's health and condition and length now, as much as about its look. :blush:

Is coconut oil really better than other oils like olive oil? :blush:

Thank you again most dearly for the concern! :yawn:

Just to answer to the bolded, chicoro's hair is around type 3b I think. This hair will generally have more shine than a type 4 hair in its natural state.
What hair type are you!!!!

The other question, for most people coconut oil provides better shine than olive.

HTH

AveMaria

Just to answer to the bolded, chicoro's hair is around type 3b I think. This hair will generally have more shine than a type 4 hair in its natural state.

The other question, for most people coconut oil provides better shine than olive.

HTH

Thank you. :love: I am most probably mostly 4 with a little 3 at my nape. I just checked Chicoro's website again. She used a gel for shine.

Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Gel (1/4 cup)
Oil (1/8 cup) - Peanut oil
Guar Gum (1 teaspoon)
Glycerin

I've never heard of peanut oil before nor guar gum. :blush: Maybe I should ask her about her opinion on shine and relative oils! Although she does have a great section on the three types of sealing. I seriously doubt that shine is solely a hair type thing. I have seen quite a few type 3's with hair that was dull and unmoisturized, and I have also seen type 4's (on this site) if not in real life with natural hair that appeared quite moisturized. :love: :blush:

Thanks for the tip that coconut oil is better than olive oil! All of the advice is greatly appreciated and helpful. :yawn:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day

My hair isn't natural, but I use a product that might help you.

Have you heard of or tried Wen by Chaz Dean?

I use it - one of my staples along with the Ovation line and I LURVES it. :yep:

It transformed my hair making it look lush, full AND shiney. I don't use heat at all except during my visit to my hairstylist for a touch up every 12-13 weeks. Most of the people who have tried it love it too.

Of course not everything works for everybody, but it can't hurt to try it.

Wen comes in 5 scents or "flavors" and the Fig (which does smell like cherry cough syrup) is the most moisturizing and recommended for "ethnic hair."

Good luck and I hope you find something that you like and works for you.

Ganjababy

Henna makes my hair shiney. Also gel- Long aid gel for dry hair is really good and moisturising and leaves the hair shiny

AveMaria

My hair isn't natural, but I use a product that might help you.

Have you heard of or tried Wen by Chaz Dean?

I use it - one of my staples along with the Ovation line and I LURVES it. :yep:

It transformed my hair making it look lush, full AND shiney. I don't use heat at all except during my visit to my hairstylist for a touch up every 12-13 weeks. Most of the people who have tried it love it too.

Of course not everything works for everybody, but it can't hurt to try it.

Wen comes in 5 scents or "flavors" and the Fig (which does smell like cherry cough syrup) is the most moisturizing and recommended for "ethnic hair."

Good luck and I hope you find something that you like and works for you.

No, I've never heard of Wen! :blush: I just looked it up. Is it the Wen styling creme that you are talking about? I wonder if I can find a knock-off. :blush: Thank you so so much for the tips. :love:

AveMaria

Henna makes my hair shiney. Also gel- Long aid gel for dry hair is really good and moisturising and leaves the hair shiny

Long aid gel is cheap too! :grin: I'll have to try it. Have you tried other gels and found out that this was your favourite? Thank you for the advice! :love:

CenteredGirl

Thank you very much for your advice! :love: I noticed on your fotki that you tried Henna and Billy Jay's Hairveda Whipped Baggy Cream. Maybe you wouldn't mind sharing the pros and cons, how these worked for you. I remember using henna once many years ago. I can't remember if it made my hair look glossier or not but I do remember it was extremely messy. :blush:

Massaging hair in sections and pulling sebum down to the roots does sound like extremely hard work and very time consuming! :sad: I have recently started taking multivitamins and I do hope that will pay off in the long run.

Henna is great.

Quit using HV. I found that for my kinky hair, moisturizing with butters and oils were far superior and did not cause my hair to break off. I learned this from RusticBeauty on YouTube. Just look at her hair if you need convincing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_kvbSDGwPs&feature=channel

Yep, pulling the sebum down takes a bit of work. White girls who do it regularly have GORGEOUS hair. IT's easier for them, cause their hair is straight, but they doe it. Same goes for us. It's the same thing but takes a bit of upfront time, after that it's golden. MY HAIR IS NOTHING LIKE IT WAS A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO. It is the bomb. I'm loving the softness, the manageability, everthing I wanted and could not buy!

Also, you can eat foods to increase your sebum production. It took a bit of getting used to but man oh man, does it do the job. Also, I hang upside down twice a day to feed my head and hair follicles. Oooh talk about a tingling GROWTH sensation everytime!

Yup, I put the work in, hard work, but I love my hair now and it's so worth it.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
No, I've never heard of Wen! :blush: I just looked it up. Is it the Wen styling creme that you are talking about? I wonder if I can find a knock-off. :blush: Thank you so so much for the tips. :love:

You're welcome. I was referring to the Wen Cleansing Conditioner. It's an all-in-one product; it cleanses, it conditions, you can use it as a deep conditioner, a leave-in and shave gel! I also use the Wen Styling Creme.
I use it after I apply the Wen Cleansing Conditioner (w/oil) as a leave-in.

The Styling Creme is a "nice-to-have" but not necessary.

lollyoo

HTH

OP, I am not sying it's solely a hair typething, but sometimes it good to understand your hair type. Just as a general rule type 3 tends to have more shine than type 4. Its a general property of the hair type, while type 4 tends to have nice sheen, if both hair are healthy.

It seems what you are looking for is shine, but like another poster said, It is sometimes better understand, your hair.

Others things I will suggest is to try coconut oil like I said, henna or even cassia. If you want to try henna, I have henna on sale in product exchange forum, I basically bought too much and want to off load some. It is body art quality.

ACV rinse, after every wash. I use weekly it helps seal cuticle and may help increase shine.

CLEAR CELLOPHANE is essentially silicone, I have colour showers but you will have to pay international shipping, will give it to you free. Did nothing for my hair except dryness. Bought it when I initially went natural to help with shine. It probably works better with relaxed hair in my opinion.

Anyway best of luck with hair care.

HTH

Last edited:

LaidBak

Well, I'm not an expert. But my hair has always been dry and dull looking. When I am stretching its 10 times worse. The only thing that really works on my NG for shine is coconut oil. Pure and unrefined, right out the grocery store. I've tried jojoba, almond, olive, emu, and commercially mixed oil blends. Nothing beats coconut for shine. And it just smells so d@mn good!

PerplexingComplex

With 4a hair you don't get that much shine, unless you stretch it in some way. Also, you're hair may not like oils by itself on it (learned that the hard/rough way, pun intended). In order for me to but oil on my hair I have to mix it with something first. I usually use shea butter. Leaves my hair feeling soft and gives a nice shine to it.

Naturel

Clarifying or even chelating may help. also don't use too much leave-in products; they coat Ur hair and make it look dull. I hope that helps.

AveMaria

OP, I am not sying it's solely a hair typething, but sometimes it good to understand your hair type. Just as a general rule type 3 tends to have more shine than type 4. Its a general property of the hair type, while type 4 tends to have nice sheen, if both hair are healthy.

It seems what you are looking for is shine, but like another poster said, It is sometimes better understand, your hair.

Others things I will suggest is to try coconut oil like I said, henna or even cassia. If you want to try henna, I have henna on sale in product exchange forum, I basically bought too much and want to off load some. It is body art quality.

ACV rinse, after every wash. I use weekly it helps seal cuticle and may help increase shine.

CLEAR CELLOPHANE is essentially silicone, I have colour showers but you will have to pay international shipping, will give it to you free. Did nothing for my hair except dryness. Bought it when I initially went natural to help with shine. It probably works better with relaxed hair in my opinion.

Anyway best of luck with hair care.

HTH

Thanks for all the advice. It is helpful to hear another positive review for coconut oil and thoughts on clear cellophane. :yep: