Dumb Question about Relaxing

PrincessM

Relax - Conditioner - THEN Neutralize???
shocked.gif

or
Relax - Neutralize - Conditioner?

I was browsing through a post that said the hair cuticle is most open after the relaxer and one should condition then. Or maybe I read it wrong because I would think it was important to get the pH normalized...?

i think its relax neutralize then condition.....lol i dont think any of us would condition before neutralizing especially members of this forum. I bet there are hairdressers who do though. you never know in this crazy world.

I think I read that on another board. The relax-condition-neutralize is a new thing that's being done lately. I'm not exactly sure what the purpose is though.

After you neutralize you would then shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo and then do a deep moisturizing conditioner.

I guess it depends on the type of relax you are using. I use Motions and it says to condition briefly before neutralizing.

Motions uses the Silk Protein conditioner before neutralizing shampoo. You leave it on between 10-15 minutes w/out any heat.

The Affirm system instructs you to condition, then neutralize. The conditioners in these systems have agents in them that reduce the ph of the relaxer.

If that particular relaxer system does not specifically instruct to condition before neutralizing, then I would advise against it.
smile.gif

I say follow the manufacturer's instructions. Motions and Affirm tell you to use a specific conditioner after removing the relaxer from the hair, followed by neutralization. If the particular relaxer you are using tells you to rinse, then neutralize, then it would be in your best interest to do so.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
If that particular relaxer system does not specifically instruct to condition before neutralizing, then I would advise against it.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

oh, does anyone know what mizani says? Iw as going to relaxe condition neutralize with that, but now I'm having doubts...

I mix the motions silk protein with nexxus ensure then put it on when I do a relaxer. So I'm sure that it would at least start lowering the pH... does it REALLY matter if the company doesn't instruct you to do it?

OH..........also, if you're self relaxing........add a little Pure Extra Virgin Olive Oil to your relaxer then stir it up again!!! Great additional moisturizing and lubricating for our hair during an ultra drying treatment (the relaxer)!! But yes, definitely follow the instructions of that manufacturer!

I use Motions relaxer and the instruction says condition, neutralize, then condition again. I'd just follow the instructions.

[ QUOTE ]
CocoaCure said:
OH..........also, if you're self relaxing........add a little Pure Extra Virgin Olive Oil to your relaxer then stir it up again!!! Great additional moisturizing and lubricating for our hair during an ultra drying treatment (the relaxer)!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, does that really work? Ive never heard of that before, if anything, I would think that olive oil would sort of decrease the straightening effects of the relaxer. But I guess you get good results with this huh? Sounds appealing.

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree
drunk.gif

I'm gonna use Affirm Fiberguard lye. It says to use Fiberguard Sustenance fortifying treatment. Do I HAVE to buy that too? *passes out* Is there a type of conditioner that I can substitute it with? Protien, moisterizing, etc...

It was my understanding that if one were using a conditioner after the relaxer process that the conditioner is a type of neutralizing one - i.e. that it is supposed to bring down the Ph of the hair gently whereas a shampoo would be a bit more rough way to get the Ph to come down - but then again, this is only my understanding ...

[ QUOTE ]
PrincessM said:
I'm gonna use Affirm Fiberguard lye. It says to use Fiberguard Sustenance fortifying treatment. Do I HAVE to buy that too? *passes out* Is there a type of conditioner that I can substitute it with? Protien, moisterizing, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
I understand, Affirm Fiberguard is expensive,
but I think it is worth the money to buy the Sustenance. I use the whole Affirm Fiberguard system to self relax and I love it, even though I almost *passed out* when I paid for it.

Back