Dying hair back to black...

Whimsy

Hey girls,

OK so I know dying your hair a lighter color is damaging/drying etc.
But is dying your hair jet black damaging as well?

Thx,

D

After having highlights for about 4 years, my hair is thriving after coloring it black. It looks and feels healthier and people have noticed the difference. The highlights really dried my hair out.

I plan on dying my hair a jet black sometime in the nest week or so. I think black hair looks healthier and shinier

Dye can be damaging, regardless of the color. Lighter colors are only more damaging because most people have to double-process to achieve the look they want. If you want something jet black and permanent, try indigo.

I have never died my hair black (I am thinking about it now that you say something) but the people I know who have their hair looks and feels so much healthier. I think that black dye, even thought it is dye and dye can be damaging, doesnt dry your hair out as much causing it to appear healthier. Let us know of your results!!

I would think its less damaging because there is no peroxide or ammonia in some black dyes (like Bigen). No lifting of the cuticle or anything either, However they can still be drying on the hair if not properly cared for or conditioned.

yup i agree with Atlien....no peroxide or ammonia, no double processing but still can be damaging without proper care

I just dyed my hair a lot darker and I couldn't get it to "stick" with a vol 10 developer. By the next weekend no one could even tell it was darkened. I re-did it with a vol 30 and it's still fading quickly. I doubt a rinse would do anything for me.

I suppose it's still damaging, but I can't see it as easily, as darker hair usually appears healthier.

I dunno if I'm gunna or if I'll just let the color grow out...
Keluric, what's indigo?? i'm intrigued.

I just dyed my hair a week ago. I used to wish I could get red hair, but now that I went black

I ain't neva goin back!!!!:D

My hair didn't get as dark as I wanted so the next time I'm going jet black. I never ever considered dying my hair black because I love red hair. But the kind of red hair l want is not possible for me to have.

I don't know what or who inspired me to go black but I'm glad it did. I don't even want red hair anymore!

Any experienced black "dyers" out there who can give me more tips about coloring? What about washing?

i wonder if dying it jet black will make it look dull or 'ruddy' if you knwo what i mean? cuz it is pretty shiny/sheeny now. has anyone ever experienced that?

I've always found that going black for me has always improved the health of my hair, Over the years i've done my share of lightening and darkening, but the most damage i have ever received was due to the lighter colors. After my last lightening horror which was earlier this year i dyed my hair back to jet black with dark & lovely:confused: it lasted 5 minutes and the blonde brown color came right back but i finally used Bigen and that did it and im so happy with the look and feel of my hair now. I will be moving onto indigo in the next few weeks so i hope that it turns out even better.

i dyed mine black with Bigen too and it lasted the longest. No peroxide, no ammonia, and no developer. The only thing is that you have to follow the directions to a T. I think some ladies that used it with a shower cap and sat under the dyer had a not-so-great experience.

Back