Eggs for Healthy, Strong Tresses

Coffee

Although I recently wrote about egg hair treats for healthy tresses, I personally am not a huge fan of eating eggs.
Although I know eggs are a great source of protein for growing long, strong and healthy hair, I have to work hard to trigger my taste buds for any type of egg treats.
I will confess I have no problem downing chocolate Easter eggs, but those are not exactly the best egg hair treats.
Recently I decided to do a taste test on a variety of eggs from different sources. I made my way to the local Whole Foods Market where I purchased free range eggs with a variety of enriched ingredients such as Omega 3.
While testing all the different eggs I discovered some recipes for deviled-eggs which made my egg sampling more fun.
Deviled eggs can be amped up to make them the perfect egg hair treats. When I say amped up, I mean adding healthy hair inducing ingredients like avocados or even some chopped up nori.
Summer is a great time for deviled eggs. The key is to be very careful to follow good egg preparation, storage and refrigeration rules to avoid any type of potential for food poisoning.
Listed below is the deviled-egg recipe I used to make my basic egg hair treat formula.
8 hard-boiled extra large eggs (cooled to facilitate handling)
1/3 cup of mayonnaise (store bought or home made)
2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard or similar
1/4 teaspoon of coarse-ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon of salt (optional if on a low-salt diet)
1/8 teaspoon of paprika
Preparation – Egg Hair Treats
Peel eggs and cut in half lengthwise. Place cooked yolks gently scooped out of the whites in a separate bowl. Mash the cooked yolks and add the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, pepper and salt. Once the egg yolks are mashed to the desired consistently carefully spoon them into the empty cook whites.
Note: For the best looking deviled eggs you may wish to use a pastry bag.
Sprinkle the tops with paprika before service. Either serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Avoid allowing deviled-eggs to be unrefrigerated at any time.
Optional Egg Hair Treats – Avocado Or Nori
Avocado is a wonderful healthy hair food. So is nori. You can use either or both ingredients to amp up your egg hair treats.
Mash half a ripe avocado into the yolk mixture. This will give your deviled eggs a wonderful new flavor and a slightly different hue.
You can grind the nori up into flakes and sprinkle on top of the eggs with the paprika or sprinkle around the outside of the egg whites to create a nori ring. You can also use parsley in lieu of nori.
If you prefer, you can add nori flakes to the yolk mixture with or instead of the avocado. It provides a great egg hair treat but does not significantly alter the taste of the deviled eggs.
For a different flavor substitute copped black olives for all or part of the salt. The black olives are also a wonderful hair food and make for a unique egg hair treat option.
The great thing about deviled eggs, besides the fact that they are a great egg hair treat, is that they are a wonderful appetizer, great on a picnic (when they can be kept refrigerated) or as a party finger food.
Even better, they are great for your tresses.

SimJam

AtlantaJJ I KNEW I was saving my egg yolks for something !!!!!

everytime I make an egg white omelette I save the yolk in a big ziploc bag and I just could not for the life of me remember WHY I was saving them. when the bag got full I cooked up the whole batch and gave it to my parents doggies :lick: they enjoyed immensely :lick:

I just started on another big ziploc bag and just this morning was wondering AGAIN why I was saving them lol

:yay: imma do an egg treatment on the weekend

AtlantaJJ

AtlantaJJ I KNEW I was saving my egg yolks for something !!!!!

everytime I make an egg white omelette I save the yolk in a big ziploc bag and I just could not for the life of me remember WHY I was saving them. when the bag got full I cooked up the whole batch and gave it to my parents doggies :lick: they enjoyed immensely :lick:

I just started on another big ziploc bag and just this morning was wondering AGAIN why I was saving them lol

:yay: imma do an egg treatment on the weekend

Egg yolks are a natural source of sulfur. If you put them on your scalp once per week you will see a growth surge! ....at least I did! :grin:

AtlantaJJ

SimJam

Check this out:
Benefits of Egg Yolk on Hair

The essential nutrients that are present in egg yolk are: high quality protein, vitamins like A, E, & D, high amount of sulfur and fatty acids. Egg yolk is a good natural hair conditioner because of all these nutritional components. Some of the important effects are as follows:
Hair turns dry due to lack of moisture in it. When egg yolk is applied on rough, frizzy hair, it acts like a natural moisturizer and hydrates the hair. As a result, the original soft and smooth texture of the hair is restored.
The protein content of the yolk adds strength to the hair follicles and make the hair roots stronger.
The nutrients in egg yolk repair damaged, brittle hair and prevent hair breakage.
Vitamins A and E in egg yolk controls hair loss problems really well.
Fatty acids in egg yolk bring back healthy natural shine and luster to your hair.
Those who have unmanageable frizzy hair should use egg yolk to make the hair more easily manageable.
Sulfur and vitamin B12 of an egg's yolk helps the hair grow faster. This will increase the volume of the hair and you can flaunt your thick hair soon.

I don't use heat when you use yolk on my hair :) I'm worried about it cooking :lol:

ETA:

As Hair Moisturizer
The main ingredients of this natural moisturizer are one tablespoon of yogurt, one tablespoon of honey, half tablespoon of almond oil and of course, one egg yolk. Beat the yolk first and then add all the other ingredients into it. Whisk this mixture properly to obtain a solution of uniform consistency. Now, massage this solution on the entire scalp and then coat the hair strands with it. Cover your head with a shower cap for about one hour. Then wash off with cold water. This will reduce the dryness of the hair and also repair damage.

Some times I skip the yogurt. I use full fat greek yogurt on my hair.

To Control Hair Loss
This treatment helps in deep conditioning of the hair and stop hair fall. Two egg yolks, two tablespoons (or more) of olive oil. Mix in a small bowl and apply it on the scalp and hair generously. Then massage your scalp with the tips of your finger for 5 minutes so that all the ingredients get absorbed into the hair roots. Then leave the hair mask untouched for the next 15 minutes. Finally wash off the hair with lukewarm water.

If your hair is in an extremely damaged state, you may not notice any improvement in the first few weeks of using egg yolk on the hair. Act patiently. Keep using this treatment once in a week for one month before you can see the difference. After your hair condition improves, do not stop using egg yolk as hair conditioner. You still need it to maintain healthy hair and prevent any further hair damage.

Last edited:

lamaria211

I'm going to mix an egg with some oils for a treatment this weekend then rinse it out and DC :) thanks op I almost forgot about my eggs!

Americka

Every week I mix a pack of Palmer's Coconut Protein pack with one egg and a tablespoon of yogurt. My hair loves it.

I love deviled/stuffed eggs! :) Either way, my hair wins...

claud-uk

Subbing, this is a great thread. Will be trying the hair moisture recipe tomorrow, can't wait!

Sunshine77

Every once in a while I apply a mix a cheap conditioner (moisture milks) an egg and olive to dry hair. I let it sit for about 20 minutes before rinsing and DC. I can't do it often but I wish I could - It makes my fine curls clump together!!!!

SherylsTresses

It's used for my perfect protein conditioner :love: :love2: :love3:
1 Cup Giovanni 50:50 moisturizing conditioner
1 Egg yolk
2 tbs EVOO

This has replaced my beloved Aubrey Organics GPB, and no moisturizing conditioner is needed afterwards.

lamaria211

Got my eggs in now mixed with sweet almond oil, Vatika oil and Africa's Best Herbal oil. Gonna let it sit for 25mins then wash it out. I must say it felt good going on:)

DaiseeDay

I did my egg treatment yesterday.

I put two eggs, Greek yogurt (0% fat because it's all I have), and an over ripe banana in the blender.

I put it in, pulled my hair back, and went to run some errands. When I got back (and my hair was super crunchy) I co washed and styled. I always get great curl definition the day I do these.

(this should be a challenge - I would join).

PinkPebbles

Got my eggs in now mixed with sweet almond oil, Vatika oil and Africa's Best Herbal oil. Gonna let it sit for 25mins then wash it out. I must say it felt good going on:)

lamaria211 please report back your results!

I did my egg treatment yesterday.

I put two eggs, Greek yogurt (0% fat because it's all I have), and an over ripe banana in the blender.

I put it in, pulled my hair back, and went to run some errands. When I got back (and my hair was super crunchy) I co washed and styled. I always get great curl definition the day I do these.

(this should be a challenge - I would join).

Yes, this should be a challenge. I would join as well :grin:.

lamaria211

My hair felt soft and strong I think it even made my DC session better my hair is the softest and most moisturized its been in a long time. I think I'm gonna use an egg treatment x2 a month and see how it goes

DirectorChic

SimJam

Check this out:

I don't use heat when you use yolk on my hair :) I'm worried about it cooking :lol:

ETA:

As Hair Moisturizer
The main ingredients of this natural moisturizer are one tablespoon of yogurt, one tablespoon of honey, half tablespoon of almond oil and of course, one egg yolk. Beat the yolk first and then add all the other ingredients into it. Whisk this mixture properly to obtain a solution of uniform consistency. Now, massage this solution on the entire scalp and then coat the hair strands with it. Cover your head with a shower cap for about one hour. Then wash off with cold water. This will reduce the dryness of the hair and also repair damage.

Some times I skip the yogurt. I use full fat greek yogurt on my hair.

To Control Hair Loss
This treatment helps in deep conditioning of the hair and stop hair fall. Two egg yolks, two tablespoons (or more) of olive oil. Mix in a small bowl and apply it on the scalp and hair generously. Then massage your scalp with the tips of your finger for 5 minutes so that all the ingredients get absorbed into the hair roots. Then leave the hair mask untouched for the next 15 minutes. Finally wash off the hair with lukewarm water.

If your hair is in an extremely damaged state, you may not notice any improvement in the first few weeks of using egg yolk on the hair. Act patiently. Keep using this treatment once in a week for one month before you can see the difference. After your hair condition improves, do not stop using egg yolk as hair conditioner. You still need it to maintain healthy hair and prevent any further hair damage.

I simply down a raw one or two. LOL!

lamaria211

Wondering if I use MegaTek on Wednesday can I do an egg treatment on Saturday or will it be to much? Thanks