Elle magazine's tip for *black hair*

seeminglysweet

"Never comb hair when it's wet. Instead, detangle properly with a wide-tooth comb when it's dry."

They shouldn't give tips on things which they know nothing about

Go to www.elle.com to see for yourself

myco

seeminglysweet said:
"Never comb hair when it's wet. Instead, detangle properly with a wide-tooth comb when it's dry."

That would go well. I can hear my hair snapping all over the place right now. Not to mention it would be a styleless mess.

PaperClip

Now here's an OPTIMAL opportunity for LCHF's moderators and members to represent as subject matter experts on the matter of safer methods to comb/detangle/manage hair....

Who's gonna write and send a letter to the editor of Elle Magazine?;)

melodee

One of my pet peeves is when mainstream magazines try to give advice on black hair or as they often put it "coarse hair". I get tired of the misuse of the word coarse. Coarse and kinky/coily is not the same thing.

Lots of time mags are clueless as to what to do with naps. The most they can do is rec. a regimen for type 3 hair. They will show either a model with type three curls or with a weave/wig (ie. Beyonce) and recommend that the hair be wet and brushed back into a ponytail with some conditioner or some anti frizz product. This is usually their best advice.

senimoni

I don't know, I think for the everyday person who rips through the hair when wet, that this is a better option. I'm just basing this on how I treated my hair. Also they did state wide tooth comb....they probably could have added to add some moisturizer first.

Lovelylocs

If I just let the hair dry completely without combing or detangling at all, I would have a head full of dreadlocks. :eek: I hope no one follows their advice.

SilkyandSmooth

seeminglysweet said:

Wow. They know absolutely nothing about black hair. That's crazy.

LovelyLionessa

That's some crappy advice right there. If I were to reserve comb outs on my airdried hair, I would probably produce a golf ball size wad of broken hair. :mad: Been there and done that. ITA with Leleepop, that kind of misinfo is what made LHCF a godsend, as I finally learned the right way to care for my hair. :yep:

Faith

seeminglysweet said:
Actually they are not too far off...not great advice but I've heard worse. I can't comb it wet...damp/almost dry yes...wet...no. Different things may work for different people.

Last edited:

caribeandiva

Human being
I actually agreed with a lot of the things they said. a lot of them made sense to me since i do them already. i don't agree with some of the product recommendation though.

shelli4018

I'd imagine Elle had input from a "knowledgeable" source. Have you guys read Sophisticates Black Hair or Esence lately? They always have questionable advice. Which is understandable since so few of us can achieve/maintain healthy hair. That's why LHCF is so darn important. We've gotta spread the news.

Personally, I'm glad to see such an article in Elle magazine.

naturaline

iv been daily washing for about a week now and detangling when wet (water & moisturiser) has proven the best way to keep the hairs on my head- and its much faster than when i comb dry hair!

Wishin4BSL

LHCF should start a magazine with advice and product reviews and miracle stories of people who never had long hair who have long hair now...all of the information in this forum should be compiled into a big book too. You ladies know the good stuff. All black women should know this stuff, not just we select few who have access to computers. Black Hair Growth POWER!!!!:lachen: :trampolin

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Wishin4BSL said:
LHCF should start a magazine with advice and product reviews and miracle stories of people who never had long hair who have long hair now...all of the information in this forum should be compiled into a big book too. You ladies know the good stuff. All black women should know this stuff, not just we select few who have access to computers. Black Hair Growth POWER!!!!:lachen: :trampolin

I totally agree with you. The "owners" of the LHCF site should seriously think about doing this. And if they did, I'm sure that all of us here would be more than happy to support.