The Ultimate Detangling Comb For Natural Hair

tkj25

i posted this in another thread, but wanted to make sure this great find was highlighted by itself:

i found the denman (d3) too hard to use on my dense, tightly coiled, natural hair. no matter what i tried, it just didn't work for me. even wet with conditioner the d3 caused my hair to tangle & knot more than it detangled -- i think basically it's too wide/rounded for my hair type, and would pull down too much hair at one time.

I've since found the denman d12 which i think is the ultimate detangling comb for natural hair:grin::grin::grin:. it's seamless and has three rows of teeth: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Denman-D1...ml?cgid=Hair10

to use it, i spray my hair. finger separate a row of hair to detangle, (about 1 inch thick 3 inches wide, or smaller). then starting from the tips. i detangle in small downward strokes/sections, moving upwards towards the roots. this comb has definitely allowed me to retain my length, and minimize knots & tangling.

it allows me to detangle thoroughly and safely without damaging my hair. before i would have to detangle with a wide tooth comb, and then use a finer tooth one. now all of that work is done with one comb.

unfortunately the last time i checked, denman discontinued the d12:ohwell:, but thankfully, sally's sells the denman online, and in the store, has a generic version which looks & works just as well.:drunk::yep::drunk:

(sally's also sells one by mebco, which looks similar, but it didn't work as well -- the coating on it came off over time, so i wouldn't recommend this one.)

hth

tkj25

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 142

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I will be going to buy this!!!!

ETA: I love my Denman brushes, but I wouldn't mind having something a little smaller and easier to control and maneuver. It would also be easier to clean out the shed hairs. I dred picking out the shed hairs tangled between the teeth of the brush.

Last edited:

msa

That looks scary and interesting at the same time. If I ever see it in a store I may try it. My wide tooth comb works fine but I'd like to have a smaller fine tooth comb as well.

Naturallong81

Looks like my big head would snap that sucka in half. Are you detangling with deep conditioner or you can get by with this comb. Cusethe middle of my hair is a problem.
Nice Post thanks for info.

Last edited:

tkj25

Looks like my big head would snap that sucka in half. Are you detangling with deep conditioner or you can get by with this comb. Cusethe middle of my hair is a problem.
Nice Post thanks for info.

lol, mine too. i can't detangle or comb anything without my hair being either wet first or covered in conditioner. i only finger separate dry hair otherwise i'm asking for trouble, ie tangles & breakage.

so i wet my hair, & this allows me to detangle, comb, and remove shed hair in one swoop versus wide tooth comb & then smaller tooth comb. (working in sections of course)

so it saves on time, is very sturdy & seamless.

Angelicus

I have never seen this before! Wow, I'm going to tell my natural friends. Shoot, I might use it too... Generic version, you say?

mrspgh95

WOW...thanks so much for the great find. I'm going out to sally today and pick one up. Wish I knew about this product about 2 days ago..when I had to pray deliverance over my tangled hair....:drunk:

pmichael52172

So is this better than or at least equal to the famous Jilbre Shower comb? Someone let me know because I had planned to pick up a shower comb today. Since the D12 is sold online, I may stay home and just order both instead.

Last edited:

DaRealist

Thanks so much for the review. I saw this when I was in looking Sally's looking for a detangling comb, but didn't give this much thought. I think I will go back and get it.

Eisani

I've always looked at this comb and thought it would get lost in my hair :giggle:...Interesting. I may have to check it out.

morehairplease

thanks for sharing. I was in sally's yesterday and brought the neutral protein filler by colorful and passed right by the combs:wallbash:. Next time, I will see if the one I go to carries this comb.

Libra08

Do you think this would be great for smoothing the hair before rollersetting? Thanks for posting this!

Leeda.the.Paladin

That looks scary and interesting at the same time. If I ever see it in a store I may try it. My wide tooth comb works fine but I'd like to have a smaller fine tooth comb as well.

That was my first thought upon seeing it.

I will be checking it out though, thanks for the review OP!

tkj25

Thanks so much for this review. I think I'm going to get one myself. I'm pleased you posted the product code for the Denman (i.e. D12) as I was able to find a site for all of us UK ladies to purchase one

http://www.justbeautifully.co.uk/de...omb-for-mousse-gel-back-combing-black-d12.php

Unfortunately Sally's doesn't ship to the UK - well they didn't when I last looked.

Thanks again.

Cairo
x

you're welcome cairo. glad i could help:)

So is this better than or at least equal to the famous Jilbre Shower comb? Someone let me know because I had planned to pick up a shower comb today. Since the D12 is sold online, I may stay home and just order both instead.

better is relative. it really depends on what works for your hair & what it needs. i have the jilbere & it is a good option, but it's not designed to detangle like my tiny coils really needed. so i happily made the switch.

WOW...thanks so much for the great find. I'm going out to sally today and pick one up. Wish I knew about this product about 2 days ago..when I had to pray deliverance over my tangled hair....:drunk:

i've definitely been there. hope it works for you too.

I have never seen this before! Wow, I'm going to tell my natural friends. Shoot, I might use it too... Generic version, you say?

mmhmn, generic & inexpensive:) hope you like it.

I've always looked at this comb and thought it would get lost in my hair :giggle:...Interesting. I may have to check it out.

i did too:) as long as i work in small sections, it detangles like nobody's business & really helps remove shed hairs. i wear braids a lot so this really helps with the take down.

Do you think this would be great for smoothing the hair before rollersetting? Thanks for posting this!

i don't know how to rollerset, so i can't say exactly.:grin: it does detangle & smooth, & allow product to be evenly distributed, so it might be worth a try.

Last edited:

pmichael52172

I went back to my local Sally's a second time looking for this and there were 5of them there! I was so excited. I admit I did pick one up in the store and combed my hair to see what it felt like. Loved it so I grabbed two (a pink one and silver one). They weren't even $2 a piece so I didn't consider it a real purchase :look:

I am transitioning and kid you not that when I combed my hair through different areas (starting at the ends first and then higher up the strand each stroke) there was very little hair... about 5 shedding strands through the whole process. It feels really good on my scalp too - yes I was able to get to my scalp.

I think I'll use this as my occasional detangler as I continue further in my transition.

Nonie

Tkj25, or anyone, can you make a vid of you using it, especially for a finger-comber who never uses brushes and has never understood how they help with detangling? Pretty please?

pmichael52172

Tkj25, or anyone, can you make a vid of you using it, especially for a finger-comber who never uses brushes and has never understood how they help with detangling? Pretty please?

Good suggestion. I don't make vids but I finger comb only for two weeks until I get to my stylist to wash and style... then I go back to finger combing and moisturizing until I see her again. I'm only 9 weeks right now so finger combing is still working.

I think it's the three rows (that are staggered) that are able to allow the strands to pass through and divide them. I'm not the best technical person at describing this. I "get" how it works but guess I can't put it into words. It's really cheap :poke: go on and get it!

MrsMe

Thanks! I'm off to the BSS! I had a great brush but I lost it, so this could be the replacement...

Nonie

Good suggestion. I don't make vids but I finger comb only for two weeks until I get to my stylist to wash and style... then I go back to finger combing and moisturizing until I see her again. I'm only 9 weeks right now so finger combing is still working.

I think it's the three rows (that are staggered) that are able to allow the strands to pass through and divide them. I'm not the best technical person at describing this. I "get" how it works but guess I can't put it into words. It's really cheap :poke: go on and get it!

Aha! You broke it down well. Thank you!

I think I'll get it and test it on my kitties first. :look: While they are a non-matting breed, one of my boys has a very thick coat (not hard to imagine if you see this pic of him as a 13-week old kitten looking like a pompom. :giggle:) and every now and then, I'll find a loc on his belly that I have to carefully comb out. I think this will help a lot. Thanks Tkj25 for sharing.

ladytee2

I was just thinking about going to get this comb. I read the review on Kkcury's blog. Nonie if I had a you tube account and you did a making a video and posting for dummies tutorial I would make a video for you but I think it would be easier for you and I for you to use your cat as a test dummy. :giggle:

Last edited: