Emergencee treatments!

cafe au lait

Can someone please enlighten me on the dangers of doing emergencee treatment weekly?
My hair breaks off whenever I comb it. So much so that I have to part my hair in small sections like I am going to cornrow it before I can actually comb thru it with minimal breakage. I moisturise my hair religiously everyday, I do oil treatments twice a week. (I mixed castor oil, neem, jojoba, wheatgerm, coconut, english hemp oil, avocado and olive oil. I saturate my hair and scalp with it and don my plastic cap for an hour or two.) I do clarifying washes at least twice a week. Once before I steam my hair with keraphix or ORS hair mayo for 20 minutes, wash it off, follow with assure, then I use humectress and steam for another 20 minutes. I then moisturise my hair and scalp.
I wash my hair four times a week and always end with a moisturising conditioner. What could I be doing wrong? :confused: I know we are meant to lose a couple of hairs daily. But when should one panic? and what type of breakage is normal or healthy? IS it the short pieces of hair on your comb with most of it on your body or clothes?(this is my case) Or is it the one with the white bulb?
I was thinking maybe I could do a heavy protein treatment weekly or every 2 weeks till I rectify the problem? I read somewhere on the forum that you can only do heavy protein treatments once every 6 weeks. but on the emergencee bottle, it says you can use it weekly. what gives? Thanks in advance for your advice.

NOTE: I get at least 10 to 20 hairs on my comb daily and at least 10 more on my clothes or my body. Is this a reasonable amount of breakage? Don't get me wrong my hair is growing in fuller than before. I am happy with the progress I have been making since I joined this forum. I just prefer to see all my hair on my head.

Ashee

cafe au lait said:
Can someone please enlighten me on the dangers of doing emergencee treatment weekly?
My hair breaks off whenever I comb it. So much so that I have to part my hair in small sections like I am going to cornrow it before I can actually comb thru it with minimal breakage. I moisturise my hair religiously everyday, I do oil treatments twice a week. (I mixed castor oil, neem, jojoba, wheatgerm, coconut, english hemp oil, avocado and olive oil. I saturate my hair and scalp with it and don my plastic cap for an hour or two.) I do clarifying washes at least twice a week. Once before I steam my hair with keraphix or ORS hair mayo for 20 minutes, wash it off, follow with assure, then I use humectress and steam for another 20 minutes. I then moisturise my hair and scalp.
I wash my hair four times a week and always end with a moisturising conditioner. What could I be doing wrong? :confused: I know we are meant to lose a couple of hairs daily. But when should one panic? and what type of breakage is normal or healthy? IS it the short pieces of hair on your comb with most of it on your body or clothes?(this is my case) Or is it the one with the white bulb?
I was thinking maybe I could do a heavy protein treatment weekly or every 2 weeks till I rectify the problem? I read somewhere on the forum that you can only do heavy protein treatments once every 6 weeks. but on the emergencee bottle, it says you can use it weekly. what gives? Thanks in advance for your advice.

NOTE: I get at least 10 to 20 hairs on my comb daily and at least 10 more on my clothes or my body. Is this a reasonable amount of breakage? Don't get me wrong my hair is growing in fuller than before. I am happy with the progress I have been making since I joined this forum. I just prefer to see all my hair on my head.

1) To get 10-20 daily is pretty good... They average more than that to be the norm, I believe...

2) When combing your hair, it should really be combed in sections in order to avoid or minimize damage, so you're on the right track :grin:

3) As for the protein treatments, whenever I think my hair is breaking I do a protein treatment of Emergencee. You should try it once a week and see how your hair reacts to it. If you think it's getting too hard, keep it moisturized & lower the treatments of protein. You can even look into medium & light proteins (I think DSD & DJD have lists of different treatments that fall into this topic - Check Newcomer's Guide for DSD's listings)
-HTH :D

Last edited:

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Hi Cafe au lait! :wave:

cafe au lait said:
My hair breaks off whenever I comb it. So much so that I have to part my hair in small sections like I am going to cornrow it before I can actually comb thru it with minimal breakage.
Are you using a wide tooth comb? Is you hair tangled and this is why it may be breaking? If so, you can find a good detangling spray. I'm sorry I don't have any recommendations, maybe someone else has some.

I moisturise my hair religiously everyday, I do oil treatments twice a week. (I mixed castor oil, neem, jojoba, wheatgerm, coconut, english hemp oil, avocado and olive oil. I saturate my hair and scalp with it and don my plastic cap for an hour or two.) I do clarifying washes at least twice a week.

Why are you clarifying so much? Do you have product build up? You know clarifying is basically stripping your hair of the excess build of products and products that cause coating. 2x a week sounds pretty excessive to me. This may be causing your hair to be extra dry and brittle equalling the breakage. Therefore your moisturizing may be in vain. I know when my hair feels coated because #1 certain products aren't working and #2 my hair feels funny to touch. Get to know your hair. If you aren't having build up, try clarifying once a month or as needed.

Once before I steam my hair with keraphix or ORS hair mayo for 20 minutes, wash it off, follow with assure, then I use humectress and steam for another 20 minutes. I then moisturise my hair and scalp.
I wash my hair four times a week and always end with a moisturising conditioner.
Tell us your washing regimen and what you use? Are you always using shampoo or are you using shampoo once and then the next 3 washes are conditioner washes(CWs)?

What could I be doing wrong? :confused: I know we are meant to lose a couple of hairs daily. But when should one panic? and what type of breakage is normal or healthy? IS it the short pieces of hair on your comb with most of it on your body or clothes?(this is my case) Or is it the one with the white bulb?

I don't know that ANY breakage is normal. I get about 5 broken little pieces a day! This is a great achievement since my hair used to break a lot. The broken pieces I get are generally from handling. SHEDDING is the hair with the little white bulb and BREAKAGE are pieces without the bulb that can be any size but are generally 1-2.5 inches in length.

[qoute]I was thinking maybe I could do a heavy protein treatment weekly or every 2 weeks till I rectify the problem? I read somewhere on the forum that you can only do heavy protein treatments once every 6 weeks. but on the emergencee bottle, it says you can use it weekly. what gives? Thanks in advance for your advice.

NOTE: I get at least 10 to 20 hairs on my comb daily and at least 10 more on my clothes or my body. Is this a reasonable amount of breakage? Don't get me wrong my hair is growing in fuller than before. I am happy with the progress I have been making since I joined this forum. I just prefer to see all my hair on my head.[/QUOTE]
Weekly protein treatments are for severely(sp?) damaged hair: Weak, brittle and breaking strands. I'm no expert...but I would suggest you back off the clarifying. I think your oiling and moisturizing is pretty good. Your breakage/shedding doesn't sound so severe(sp?). You may need a reconstructor like Aphogee or try Motions CPR. However, the Emergencee is pretty good. You can do this one week and then follow with the recon the following week or two.

~op~

hairmaster

cafe au lait. stop the clarifying shampoo. Can you get Botion oil shampoo by nexxus,
or Redken Extreme shampoo or conditioner. try shampooing every 4 days.

carolina_belle

The regimen sounds good, but the clarifying is out of control. Unless you really need it, I would only suggest clarifying every other week. That way, I keep all the good moisture, but without the buildup.

cafe au lait

onepraying said:
Hi Cafe au lait! :wave:

Are you using a wide tooth comb? Is you hair tangled and this is why it may be breaking? If so, you can find a good detangling spray. I'm sorry I don't have any recommendations, maybe someone else has some.

HI Onepraying,
I only use a wide tooth comb on my hair. My hair is only about 4 weeks post relaxer so I don't think it is tangles.

Why are you clarifying so much? Do you have product build up?

I use to suffer from flaky scalp and I read somewhere (I think on this forum) that it could be due to product build-up and that clarifying shampoos help. So I went shopping for clarifying shampoos. :grin:
I must say they helped and I don't suffer from flaky scalp anymore. (I also used aveda scalp remedy)

Tell us your washing regimen and what you use? Are you always using shampoo or are you using shampoo once and then the next 3 washes are conditioner washes(CWs)?

I am always using shampoo, I use moisturising shampoos every time. even on the days I use a clarifying shampoo, I always clarify first then I always use a moisturising shampoo and a moisturising conditioner after. I have never done a conditioner wash. I am still new to all of this but I am learning new things daily. THANK YOU LHCF.

[qoute]I was thinking maybe I could do a heavy protein treatment weekly or every 2 weeks till I rectify the problem? I read somewhere on the forum that you can only do heavy protein treatments once every 6 weeks. but on the emergencee bottle, it says you can use it weekly.

Weekly protein treatments are for severely(sp?) damaged hair: Weak, brittle and breaking strands. I'm no expert...but I would suggest you back off the clarifying. I think your oiling and moisturizing is pretty good. Your breakage/shedding doesn't sound so severe(sp?). You may need a reconstructor like Aphogee or try Motions CPR. However, the Emergencee is pretty good. You can do this one week and then follow with the recon the following week or two.

Thanks for your advice onepraying. I will cut out the clarifiers.

senimoni

I would stop clarifying so much. At least try it. You may want to explore other avenues for your dandruff. ACV rinses arent' harsh....I think you could do that instead.

cafe au lait

hairmaster said:
cafe au lait. stop the clarifying shampoo. Can you get Botion oil shampoo by nexxus,
or Redken Extreme shampoo or conditioner. try shampooing every 4 days.

Thanks hairmaster,
I am cuting out the clarifying shampoos. I can get them.yes! I already have a lot of moisturising shampoos, I will however add the redken soon. Thanks for the recommend.

VelvetRain

I don't really understand why you need to wash your hair 4x a week? That sounds a little excessive and probably is drying out your hair more. Can you scale back to at least 1x or 2x a week since you have been experiencing you what you believe is more than average breakage for you. A lot of ladies on this board swear by washing their hair just as much you have been doing or conditioner washes daily. I am sorry I just don't see the purpose in all of that. I guess it will depend on your hair type as well. However that method does not work for everyone and apparently it is not working for you.

I would stick to a deep conditioner with a moisturizing condtioner with heat each time you wash your hair. Like another poster mentioned be sure to detangle with a wide tooth comb and use a detangler to do so. Are you doing wetsets? I would alternate between the emergencee one week and then keraphix. This is exactly what I did when I was getting what I thought was major breakage. I have seen by hair do a complete 360.

cafe au lait

michelle3147 said:
I would stick to a deep conditioner with a moisturizing condtioner with heat each time you wash your hair. Like another poster mentioned be sure to detangle with a wide tooth comb and use a detangler to do so. Are you doing wetsets? I would alternate between the emergencee one week and then keraphix. This is exactly what I did when I was getting what I thought was major breakage. I have seen by hair do a complete 360.

Thanks Micelle3147!
I have decided to do the weekly alternating between emergencee and keraphix. I actually did an emergencee treatment yesterday and my hair feels real nice. So I am going to keep it up for a month and hope I get good results. I don't know what or how to wetset, I normally just airdry.

Ashee

cafe au lait said:
Thanks Micelle3147!
I have decided to do the weekly alternating between emergencee and keraphix. I actually did an emergencee treatment yesterday and my hair feels real nice. So I am going to keep it up for a month and hope I get good results. I don't know what or how to wetset, I normally just airdry.

Good luck! :)

scoobygirl

I tried the Emergencee today. For a moment I thought I had made a really bad decision. My hair generally doesn't like Nexxus products (too much protein) but I wanted try this because I have a relaxer due next week.

First I washed with the Therappe, which made my hair moist and shiny (the poo was better than I remember). Then I smoothed the Emergencee through my hair and placed a cap on my head and sat for 10-15 minutes under a dryer. It was kind of sticky going on but basically problem free. The trouble came when I was trying to rinse it out. I rinsed with just water for 3 minutes then I tried the Therappe. My hair turned to straw as soon as the poo was rinsed out and I started to panic. Next I went for my clairfying poo and then for two rounds with the paul mitchell supercharge. Eventually my hair smoothed out and I could start to see the results. I sprayed biolage leave-in conditioner in and let my hair air dry loose. The relaxed ends looked noticeably smoother and it had more shine than usual. The new growth was harder and drier than before I washed it but I do have quite a bit so that may be normal.

Overall I am pleased. I need another conditoning wash to bring back the moisture to my new growth but a once a month e-treatment would be great for my hair. I think next time, I will make sure to stay away from my scalp with the emergencee. :)