Encouragment for the wanna-be-DIY'er

hairaboutit

So, I was washing my hair and I started thinking about the "last straw" that made me become a DIY'er. Of course I've had hairstylist horror stories but here was the straw that broke the camels back.

I was going to a salon that was highly reccommended. Most of the women walking out of the salon had what I considered long hair at the time (btwn SL and APL). I went to this stylist every week for a few months (paying $50 each visit). Each visit she did excellent treatments, conditioning and such, and used quality products but it was counteracted by the fact that she curled my hair in small sections with a frying iron.

After a few months I noticed my nape and just above was gone. When I asked her about it she said she didn't know why but that she hadn't done it. As I sat in her chair I made up in my mind that was my last visit to any salon...At that point I figured, If my hair fell out it would be at my own hands and w/o wasting money (especially the tip) in the process.

In the last few years my hair has grown but since finding the board I've seen amazing growth and even more amazing health....I don't think I'll ever become a faithful salon-goer again.

So what was that last experience that turned you into a DIY'er?

great!!!!!! im so happy that you became a DIY'er!!

the last time i was at a salon, i was 8, so I always was a DIY'er.....i wanna hear more stories!

Well
I started doing my hair by miself when i came into México, they dont have a clue on how to treat our hair type AT ALL. I just went a couple of times to get my hair cut and once to get a relaxer that i brought in the States (she literally fried my scalp) ... but never again. That's why i became natural as well. Even my BC did it myself (with my husband help)

I never had a horror history living in Dominican Republic and i went to the salon every single week, but living here changed my life.

I'm not a 100% DIYer, maybe 90% :ohwell:. I used to go to the salon every week and then every other week once I looked at how much money I was spending at the salons. In all my years of going to the salons, it had its ups and downs. But what made me start doing my hair more is:

1) My hair stayed pretty much the same length (between shoulder and apl)
2) I'm cheap, so the cost was getting to me ($45 every week, $70 for relaxers)
3) SHS would cut my hair to make it even. My hair has never and never will grow in even :nono:.
4) Long hours in the salon. It was normal for me to spend 3-4 hours in a salon just for a wash, dc and style and then 5-6 hours for my relaxers.

Now that I do my hair most of the time, 'I'm almost MBL, my hair is thickening up, I save a looooooooot of money and I get to do my hair in the comfort of my home, not waiting on a stylist to finish me up.

Going to the salon was a waste of money. I stopped getting my hair relaxed for years but I would get it pressed. But I sweat from my scalp. It was a waste of money to get a press then within the same day my hair would turn into an afro because I sweated the sh*t out. So I gave up going to the salon.

But then I had a homegirl that would braid my hair with extensions. But I didn't want to wear extensions anymore so I had to break down and learn how to do my own hair.

I became a DIY'er after i found LHCF bc i was tired of being in a salon for 4 hours every single time i went and then having to pay $65 for a relaxer when i can save tons more by jus buying my own relaxer AND supplies to do it!! And i like KNOWING how to get my hair looking like i just came out of the salon instead of asking my stylist how she gets my hair perfectly flat ironed and then her telling me its a secret:blush:...i can do it myself!! Its funny how you go through all that drama at a salon and then they're breathing down your neck for a tip:nono:

Plus now that my hair is waaay longer than it was when i stopped going to the salon 2 years ago...im not about to be paying extra just because of my length...im not havin it!:nono:

Back