Ends breaking=trim??

LiveLoveLife

Hey yall. I've been treating my hair with nothing but TLC and my ends are breaking off something viscous! I just gently pull on the last 2 inches on my hair and the hair just snaps off! I wear a lot of protective styles and oil my ends with coconut oil every night, sleep with a satin scarf on...what am I doing wrong?? Does anyone else ever experience this? Does this mean I need a trim (mind you I have no split ends in sight!!!)??:sad: help please!!

KhandiB

I personally think if your ends are snapping off, trim them!
I had to come to this conclusion myself, causing me nothing but grief when I saw them on my shirts LOL

Artemis

Deep condition with more moisture. Ends breaking doesn't always mean trim. I only trim if they are split or discolored and look like they are about to split.

HoneyDew

I think sometimes a trim is just what is needed. If you have breakage breakage breakage after all you do, I would trim! Why hold on to it?!

silverlotus

Deep condition with more moisture. Ends breaking doesn't always mean trim. I only trim if they are split or discolored and look like they are about to split.

Yeah, I am not a fan of trimming cuz of breakge b/c you never really get to the root of what caused the breakage in the first place. What if you make the same mistake again? Then you end up having to trim even more.

If the ends are split or just plain raggedy, then it's a good idea to trim.

Whimsy

I would say try some SERIOUS moisturizing efforts then if in a few weeks no difference a slight trim.

HoneyDew

I would say try some SERIOUS moisturizing efforts then if in a few weeks no difference a slight trim.

This is what I've gotten used to doing. It works, too. I used to trim instantly and NEVER seemed to gain length. After I started stepping away from the shears and just moisturizing like crazy things, in most cases, would turn out well. After all that and I still had problems, a light (very light) trim would get me moving again.

freshlikemoi

Perhaps you could dust your ends. Examine each strand section by section, and dust off the split/weak ends. Then from then on, moisture like crazy.

LiveLoveLife

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I'm definitely going to invest in a good moisturizer and DC more with heat. Does anyone suggest any good moisturizers?

locabouthair

i'm goign through the same thing now. You definitely need moisture.

here are some water based moisturizers:

(Moisture)Organic Root Stimulator (ORS) olive oil, ORS carrot oil, Luster's S-Curl, StaSoFro, Hollywood Beauty Carrot and Olive Oil, Most Braid Sprays, all of the leave in conditioners mentioned above can double as moisturizers! (Protein) Cantu Shea Butter Break Cure, Cantu Shea Butter Grow Strong, Elasta QP Mango Butter, Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioner, Profectiv Mega Growth, Profectiv Healthy Ends, Salerm 21

ReddTweetyB

Well, if it is just your ends that is repeatedly breaking off then it sounds like that part of your hair is damaged. Healthy hair has elasticity and does not break easily. Over time EVEN if you are only applying heat to your ends RARELY and you are not trimming your hair regularly eventually this is what happens to your ends. Those ends are just probably burnt out and needs to go to hair heaven. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like any moisturizer is going to save those ends. Sounds like you need a trim.

Well, if it is just your ends that is repeatedly breaking off then it sounds like that part of your hair is damaged. Healthy hair has elasticity and does not break easily. Over time EVEN if you are only applying heat to your ends RARELY and you are not trimming your hair regularly eventually this is what happens to your ends. Those ends are just probably burnt out and needs to go to hair heaven. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like any moisturizer is going to save those ends. Sounds like you need a trim.
im inclined to agree with redtweety, i feel bad :nono:,, but if u do trim then treat those "new" ends youll have made like old silk or youll have to trim again,, your ends have to be really damaged if theyre snapping off, of course i would also suggest getting under a good light and examine away! see if theyre whitish and seek out the weak spots, if ur ends look all together ragged id strongly recommend a trim as bad as it hurts.. if they look generally okay then just snip the rotten apples...... let us know how it turns out

audacity.

when i started my journed back in march, my ends were constantly snapping. my last trim was 3/15 and i started my journey on 3/29.....sooooooo, imo, i don't think you need a trim because i don't think it will solve the problem.

i think that the problem is a lack of proper moisture. i say this b/c once i started incorporating REAL moisture into my regimen (and laying offa the heat and manipulation) my ends began to thrive.

i am now about 8-1/2 mos into this and no longer do i see small pieces of my hair breaking off. i didn't see a real change until about 3 CONSISTENT mos, though.

so, try incorporating more moisturizing practices into your regimen before you go cutting.

ETA: I LOVE Sta-Sof-Fro mixed with water for moisture.

hth!

Last edited: