Trimming ends: dry, split, or healthy??

Kaela

I copied this from the hairoil.com site (formerly Wanakee).

"If you’re trying to grow your hair out, this is where protective styling really pays off. Your hair grows ¼ to ½ inch per month, so in 8 weeks it could have grown 1 inch. Let’s say you started your routine with a real good trim. And now, 8 weeks later it’s time for another trim. If you’ve been conditioning, using your Constant Care for Ends and wearing your protective styles everyday, your ends shouldn’t even be split. So now you’re going to trim your hair before it splits . You only have to trim ¼ inch or so because it’s not split. That means you have ¾ of an inch of new length. You put those brand-new, freshly trimmed ends right back up into your protective styles and next month you’ll accumulate another ¾ of an inch - that’s 1 and ½ inches of real length in four months!"

Is it really necessary to trim ends that aren't split...prevent them from splitting?

Also, should you trim dry ends (has a crunchy feel to it) that are not necessarily split, but have a different texture. The different texture can be caused by past relaxers, coloring, whatever...

ms_kenesha

I think that your ends are always going to be drier than the rest of your length and if you're always cutting them then you'll never get anywhere or if you do it'll be very slowly.

Kaela

The part that I bolded was the only part that I didn't really understand, because it didn't seem justified. I can understand trimming or dusting to capture splits, and to even out ends, but I didn't really get the trimming for the sake of trimming part.

S

Stylepink

I just do not believe in trimming my hair. I have not had a trim since November 2002 and have not had one trim. I keep my ends moisturized and oil and have never had a problem with spit ends.

adrienne0914

i don't agree with that. if you're trying to grow your hair and protecting your ends, if they're not split, it doesn't make sense to prevent something that obviously isn't gonna happen. i think that eventually the ends do get a little frazzled even if they're not split, but that's only after a long time. i personally trim my ends only when needed, which is usually twice a year or so.