Ends brittle even in protective styles!!

KinksnCurlz

How do you keep your ends moisturized if you begin to moisturize it (leave in, shea butter, perm repair) before you put it in the bun? Also, my hair wouldn't past a certain length in my late teens/early 20s because my ends would always be brittle
(disgustingly so
) and I would have to get it trimmed? This happened all of the time. Can somebody please help me and let me know what I can do to combat split ends (brittle ends) before they occur? THANK YOU GUYS

sweetcocoa

If you moisturized them before you put them in the bun(I suggest misting them with soem distilled water before you add your other products to seal in the moisture), they(your ends) will stay moist inside the bun because they are protected from the air. Someone gave me this example....when you look at an ear of corn... the corn silk on the outside is dry...but the further down you go to the corn itself the silk is soft and moist protected from the air... which dries it out. I hope this helps.

KinksnCurlz

Yes, it does. Thank you for replying so quickly. Another question, what do you apply to your ends? Maybe I can incorporate that with the distilled water. Thanks a bunch.

sweetcocoa

I use my own pomade. For me shea butter alone made my hair hard...but that is my personal experience. I use a mixture of jojoba and distilled water in a misting bottle to dampen them first if it is not already wet. You could try jojoba, some ladies like olive oil. A few use Elasta QP Mango Butter. You'll have to experiment and find one that works for you. I'm sure the ladies have other suggestions.

ny2atl

Hey Sweetcocoa... I like you!
You're always so helpful to everyone!!!
Just thought I'd let you know.

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Sweetcocoa... I like you!
You're always so helpful to everyone!!!
Just thought I'd let you know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you. That was nice of you to say so.

marabou1

Yes, Sweetcocoa is right about the olive oil, especially if you use the extra virgin and if you use it for hot oil treatments.

I had the same problem as you, until Pandora suggested that I do hot oil treatments with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). I tried it and was amazed! I didn't really believe Pandora that it would work because I had already added olive oil to my hair when I put conditioner, however, I didn't have the extra virgin one. Once I used the right one, my ends became so, so soft.

Give it a try. You won't regret it!!!

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
[image]Yes, Sweetcocoa is right about the olive oil, especially if you use the extra virgin and if you use it for hot oil treatments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks girls...for the advice and for finally telling me what EVOO is.

serena

[ QUOTE ]
Someone gave me this example....when you look at an ear of corn... the corn silk on the outside is dry...but the further down you go to the corn itself the silk is soft and moist protected from the air... which dries it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanakee used this example. I remember being forcefully struck by its logic the first time I read it. It really does make sense, doesn't it.

Peachtree

S-Curl moisturizer does the trick for me. It's a heavy moisturizer & wonderful at keeping the hair (especially the ends) from drying out. I apply this all over, but heavily on my ends then make my bun.

I experimented a bit.... I applied the S-Curl, made a bun & kept my hair in THAT SAME BUN for 3 days. At night, I would just cover with my satin bonnet; in the morning, i removed my satin bonnet & proceeded with my day. On day 3, my ends were still moisturized to the point that they were still slightly damp. That's exactly the result I was looking for!!! OOOOOOWEEEEE, I love this S-Curl
. (THANKS MS. ADRIENNE
!!!)

Allandra

Azul,

Some folks apply it to wet hair, and some folks apply it to dry hair. If you're going to try it, you should probably try it both way to see which way is best for your hair.

localhost

CaramelHonee, just curious.... Honestly, how often do you use heat on your hair? Flat iron, curling iron, blow dryer?

KinksnCurlz

I only use heat via dome dryer but my hair is in rollers about once or twice per week, depending on how much time I have. I do not use any other form of heat because I always have visions of the *sssssss* sound and smoke. LOL

kisz4tj

I'm salivating over your hair CaramelHonee. Man I wish I had hair like that. My ends have been very dry lately, I need some more s-curl.

KinksnCurlz

Question #2,000,999
If I wanted to wear my hair out, what would I put on my ends to seal/protect them and leave them shiny? Right now, I'm not too happy with the way my hair looks (ends). They look dry and feel "bushy" to me. Everyone else says it looks fine but I know I need a trim which I will be getting after work today. That is what usually soothes me until they feel "bushy" again than its back to the salon.

KinksnCurlz

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to the stylist because I promised my angel we'd go to the park. Saying that to say this, I applied jojoba oil and mango butter to my ends last night. Needless to say, my hair came out really nice. No "bushy" feel at all.

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to the stylist because I promised my angel we'd go to the park. Saying that to say this, I applied jojoba oil and mango butter to my ends last night. Needless to say, my hair came out really nice. No "bushy" feel at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jojoba Oil and Mango Butter???? Hmmmm.
Sounds good!!! What day is it???

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I am learning that sometimes the ends can feel dry and brittle because they have build-up on them and a good clarifying treatment should take care of that.