Excuse my ignorance- but white women are doing it too??

beans4reezy

My assistant who is white and has type 1 straight hair just had a BKT done! We were talking hair and she's explaining to me what a BKT is (I'm rolling my eyes in my head thinking, "Yes, I know what a brazillian Keratin treatment is" :rolleyes:). But I guess my mouth hung open as I was shocked to see a woman with straight hair go through this process.

I thought this treatment was for type 3's and 4's who wanted straight hair? Anyone else know a white woman- or just a woman with type 1 naturally straight hair who has had this done?

sheba1

Definitely! :yep: Actually, I've yet to see it marketed to black women and I was flat out told I shouldn't do it by the dominican stylist in my area unless I was going to relax or texlax first :rolleyes:. I'm so glad I didn't listen and used my Global 2%. My hair became super easy to style and my curls loosened temporarily but I did NOT lose my curl. Also, daily cowashing with weekly detangling became a possibility, along with the wet bun and my newest beloved, the wash-n-go :love:.

I think it's generally marketed to people with frizz or wave that want sleeker and easier styled hair; damaged hair that would benefit from being "sealed" to appear smoother and healthier; and people with wave that want straighter hair, right out of the shower.

Neith

If she uses BKT then she probably at least has a wave to her hair naturally. :)

I mean, if you naturally have stick straight hair, what would be the point? Her hair is probably not naturally sleek straight.

Yes, other races use it.

Brazillians - They come in many different colors :yep:

And even if they didn't, we all know in this day and age that our hair is not some alien feature... it is just more fragile that other hair types. Hair is hair on a basic level.

sheba1

If she uses BKT then she probably at least has a wave to her hair naturally. :)

I mean, if you naturally have stick straight hair, what would be the point? Her hair is probably not naturally sleek straight.

Because BKT makes even damaged hair appear healthier by filling in the cracks and even temporarily sealing some splits. Also the hair is easier to manage and dries faster and straighter with less heat, so there's a benefit to someone with damaged hair or trying to avoid heat, even if naturally straight.

I saw a youtube vid that showed a great example. I'll try to find it later and post it in this thread.

Ronnieaj

And people with straight hair will do BKT in a minute! Just like women with curly hair would get perms back in the 80s. It makes the hair look healthier and fuller because of the bonding of the keratin to the hair. One lady I work with said her salon has stopped doing Japanese straightening treatments and now exclusively offers relaxers and BKT. I just shake my head.

msa

Yup, they were first. I actually convinced my boss not to get one (she's Iranian).

fyb87

Actually the first time I heard about it was on the news. A reporter was getting it done to her hair. Not sure her ethnicity, but she definitely was not black!! I was so surprised when I got on here and saw that black people used it too!! :lachen:

mzsophisticated26

yeah, that's where I first heard the name when I was in a white salon getting my wig cut. They charge alot for that service and the Japense Straightening