Exercise and Hair

vtoodler

Why does exercise make hair feel dry and brittle?

After I exercise, my hair (which I moisturized the day before), feels very dry and brittle. Why is that so? Is it because of the salt in the sweat--is that drying out the hair?

Last edited:

Naturallista

Yes, sweat does dry out hair. I'm a heavy sweater, so I have to co-wash after I work out. Not everybody does, though. I think some ladies have success with sweat bands or wrapping their hair up during work outs. Hopefully, some will chime in and offer some advice.

HTH

RossBoss

Why not moisturize your hair the day that you actually are going to exercise instead of the day before? I agree that it is the sweat that is most likely drying your hair out. Do you exercise at home? If so, have a fan blowing on you so that you don't sweat so much. Or if you exercise outside, wait until the sun goes down a little when it is not as hot and make sure you have ice cold water to drink while exercising which will cut down on the amount that you sweat. Fall and Winter is coming so exercising outside while it's cool will reduce the amount of perspiration you excrete.

lovelexi

Yes it is the sweat. There is nothing you can really do about it other than co washing. I sweat alot when I work out so wrapping my hair doesnt work. And my scalp just feels dirty sweatband or not so I just co wash.

bluediamond0829

Yes ive noticed that ive started having to wash my hair much more because of the sweat. Im natural and press and the last 2 press that i had werent working with the sweating.

I guess before when i was able to keep up my press it held up fine.

RedVelvet310

It definitely does dry out my hair, I'm a heavy sweater as well so I ALWAYS co-wash my hair after a hard workout (and use shampoo once or twice a week). I'm sure it's the mixture of water/salt/dirt that causes the hair to dry out, what I like to do to combat dryness is oil my hair before the workout and after the workout.. I look at it like a bootleg hot oil treatment (the heat your body produces allows the oil to penetrate into your hair) it prevents the hair from getting too dry when you sweat, and your hair feels like butter when you wash it.

vtoodler

Since you guys co-wash after working out, I'm guessing that you must work out during the evenings?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
LOL girl I look like someone dipped me into a pool head first afterwards. I love it.

vtoodler Actually I go in the morning when I can. I put the JBCO on my hair nice and thickly at night, do a two-strand twist and cover with a scarf. In the morning afterwards, I either just rinse, which tends to be good enough OR I will co-wash. With the twists I towel dry, then let air dry, untwist and still have a hair style.

However, I also do the same before I go in the evening tho as well.