Exercise vs. pretty hair

CityGirl

Okay ladies I've heard it from way too many people that I look better with my hair "done". I work out in the morning before I go to work. When I come in I have enough time to condition wash, pull it back, and get dressed for work. I DO NOT have time to wash it, set it, and sit under the dryer.
Working out in the morning is what works for me and I consider exercise very important to stay healthy, and because I like food and I like to eat! I've tried working out in the evening, but I don't have enough energy at the end of my day to endure a long run, or a cycling class or something like that. But I feel like I'm getting tired of people telling me I look better with it out.
Does anyone else feel this way? How do you ladies deal with nice hair vs. exercise?
I'm interested in hearing what you all do and what you ladies think. Your ideas, and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Ignore the people and their opinions... I'll suggest you just look for nice accessories :)

I workout 5-6 days a week and sweat on my scalp a lot so I can't really do much with my hair. I use a lot of headbands/scarves to accessorise - this is nice enough for me during the week and even some weekends.

I have accepted that I can't have nicely done hair everyday and on days I don't exercise, I style it and love to show it off.

I just started working out last week.
I am wearing my hair in a bun, BUT I would like to experiment with more protective styles. So, I just bought 3 wigs this weekend to make up for it. that way my hair is "done," but I don't have to do it.

I look better, IMO, with my hair done as well. I love my buns, but sometimes I dont want to go into work all slicked back. LOL.

How do wash n goes or braidouts work with your hair?
maybe you could do them at night, then do ur workout and after you shower unbraid into a cute loose style.

I workout mid day and i wear my hair either wash n go or braidout, i just put a scarf on and then after i shower just fluff it up again. (i'm natural tho)

I had to redefine my definition of "done" and "pretty" hair in order to maintain a workout regimen...maybe you'll have to do the same...

I have been working out 5 days a week for over a month now. I wear puffs 100% of the time. I am more concerned about being healthy and losing weight than having my hair done in styles. So you can always use phony pony tails, half wigs, or full wigs for your done styles. Or you can ignore your coworkers because they always have something negative to say and always have to comment on things that does not concern them. They may just be jealous of you because you are losing weight.

I work out too, and honestly, i dont see a need to wash my hair after every single workout. Maybe every 2 workouts depending on how sweaty i've gotten. So as long as my hair is pinned off of my face and off of my neck, i consider it to be workout-friendly. I agree with whimsy about the braidouts... that sounds like a good idea. You could also buy some half wigs to just slap on after your a.m. workout.

Exercise wins. No point in having pretty hair but looking ugly. I am usually in braids or twists. When i'm not, i phony pony. This really works for me as i need to look good when i walk out my door.

Okay ladies I've heard it from way too many people that I look better with my hair "done". I work out in the morning before I go to work. When I come in I have enough time to condition wash, pull it back, and get dressed for work. I DO NOT have time to wash it, set it, and sit under the dryer.
Working out in the morning is what works for me and I consider exercise very important to stay healthy, and because I like food and I like to eat! I've tried working out in the evening, but I don't have enough energy at the end of my day to endure a long run, or a cycling class or something like that. But I feel like I'm getting tired of people telling me I look better with it out.
Does anyone else feel this way? How do you ladies deal with nice hair vs. exercise?
I'm interested in hearing what you all do and what you ladies think. Your ideas, and opinions are greatly appreciated.

I wash my hair once every 3 weeks and exercise 3 days a week half an hour per time. I tend to leave the cardio till the 2nd/3rd week and do things like core stability and light weights in the first week. I keep my hair in pin curls under a net with a sweat band and also work out in the morning. My hair is usually dry by the time i come out of the shower. My regimen is very low manipluation and I have not had any ill effects of the sweat build up...

I have worked out every morning for years. The only style options that have ever worked for me are a short bob (which required heat styling - some blow drying AND hot curling - every work out day, resulting in chronically short hair and a need for LHCF!!!); a bun (which got boring) and now I have embraced my curly hair. I don't see any reason to wash daily but straight styles appear out of the question and even curly or textured styles require low manipulation until the hair is dry.

I wash my hair once every 3 weeks and exercise 3 days a week half an hour per time. I tend to leave the cardio till the 2nd/3rd week and do things like core stability and light weights in the first week. I keep my hair in pin curls under a net with a sweat band and also work out in the morning. My hair is usually dry by the time i come out of the shower. My regimen is very low manipluation and I have not had any ill effects of the sweat build up...

I tend to change up my workouts depending on what I feel like doing. I'm running and concentrating on cardio right now but when I am incorporating weight training into my regimen I have less of a hair styling problem....but one drop of sweat and BAM! hair is curly again.

Thank you ladies for your responses. I agree that exercise is way more important than beautiful hair. :grin::grin:

I have been working out 5 days a week for over a month now. I wear puffs 100% of the time. I am more concerned about being healthy and losing weight than having my hair done in styles. So you can always use phony pony tails, half wigs, or full wigs for your done styles. Or you can ignore your coworkers because they always have something negative to say and always have to comment on things that does not concern them. They may just be jealous of you because you are losing weight.

I so agree. I have embraced protective styling. I do buns, half wigs, etc. Also don't sleep on clip ins, they are great as a bang for dressing up a bun.

I work out too, and honestly, i dont see a need to wash my hair after every single workout. Maybe every 2 workouts depending on how sweaty i've gotten. So as long as my hair is pinned off of my face and off of my neck, i consider it to be workout-friendly. I agree with whimsy about the braidouts... that sounds like a good idea. You could also buy some half wigs to just slap on after your a.m. workout.

I wash two times a week. If I am really sweaty, I wet a face cloth with warm water and conditioner, and wipe through my hair, especially the edges. I moisturize, and keep my silk scarf on until my hair is dry- and I am good to go until the next wash.

Sweetie... nobody is going to tell you, "You look better with your hair pulled back in a bun." :lol:

I am a server and so I live in protective styles anyway (health code, hair must be pulled back). Whenever I go out with my co-worker friends, I wear my hair out and compliments come in left and right. I just can't put my hair through that stress of styling all the time to look good out... but the rare times I do, it's worth it. And I just accept that. :grin:

Exercise trumps hair all the time. Since I'm usually wigged up, I don't really have an issue with this. Believe it or not, I have my "exercise wig" and my regular everyday wigs ( I don't want to sweat up my good hair, lol). But you can try some cute protective styles...maybe a braidout or something like that. I agree with ladylibra though, no one's going to tell you you look better in a bun.

I sweat when I workout, but mainly around my edges. I wear my hair down in wrap almost daily. When I go to the gym, I just pull my hair up in a high ponytail and place a head band around my edges. Afterwards, I won't take the ponytail out until I feel like my hair is completely dry. I will then, sometimes add a little moisturizer around my edges and on my ends and wrap my hair, and put on my scarf. The next day, looks like I haven't even been to the gym. Works for me :yep:.

How do wash n goes or braidouts work with your hair?
maybe you could do them at night, then do ur workout and after you shower unbraid into a cute loose style.

I workout mid day and i wear my hair either wash n go or braidout, i just put a scarf on and then after i shower just fluff it up again. (i'm natural tho)

I had to redefine my definition of "done" and "pretty" hair in order to maintain a workout regimen...maybe you'll have to do the same...

Your twistout in your siggy is beautiful! How did you do it?

People just need to be quiet, really. I wear my hair how I like it. It's okay to comment once, but if they're badgering you about it, I would politely (as much as I could) tell them to shut up about it.

I jog 4-5 days a week and I do yoga daily. I only wash my hair twice a week. I just keep my hair up in some way that maintains whatever style I am currently rocking, I spritz my scalp, wash, get dressed and all of that jazz. By the time I am done getting ready to go my hair is dry, I style and keep going.

Pin-curls and wraps are great gym hair for straight hair styles, braids are great gym hair for braid-outs and buns are great gym hair for bunning. So what I'm saying is that I would suggest maybe washing less often.

Last edited:
Sweetie... nobody is going to tell you, "You look better with your hair pulled back in a bun." :lol:

I am a server and so I live in protective styles anyway (health code, hair must be pulled back). Whenever I go out with my co-worker friends, I wear my hair out and compliments come in left and right. I just can't put my hair through that stress of styling all the time to look good out... but the rare times I do, it's worth it. And I just accept that. :grin:

True that! I don't waste my time with the straight styles while I'm at the gym full time. I do a lot of the braidout thing, accessories, buns, pony with carussos, banana clips, hairzing twists..........you name it, but nothing that could get messed up with the everyday sweat.......it's all about effortless styles on weekdays for me....:yep:

Try doing bangs in the front. I think this gives it more style. I am currently hunting for accesories though.

Your body and health is more important. It ALWAYS comes

i workout for at least 35 minutes daily . I just wash twice a week and co-wash every other day. I miss wearing my hair flatironed but I also sweat alot so thats not an option. Like someone else said I use really cute headbands and accessories and I also flatiron my bangs if i get sick of just wearing it back

Back