Exercise Hair (The Sweaters)

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Ladies who sweat a lot during exercise, how do you wear your hair before, during, and after you work out?

I'm transitioning so having natural hair ladies response would be ideal as well as long term transitioners.

My baby's arrival due date is Aug 2 and I look forward to P90X3 to quickly get back in shape. However, if my hair is drenched in sweat and I wash it before work, what do I do? Do you take advantage of the sweat? Say you prepoo in twist, exercise, and cowash/style and off to work you go?

http://youtu.be/8-L4PLApyIk
The link above is a lady who rinsed her hair and did a twist out before class. Since her hair was still wet, she wore a beanie.

As a transitioner, should I only spray my roots? Thanks Ladies.

I am natural.
If I have been sweating profusely, I will do a quick cowash and bun. I definitely would not attempt a twistout, my hair would not dry quickly enough.
Sometimes my hair is pretty much unaffected by my workout. Twistouts and braidouts that have been done with a good holding product remain pretty much the same. i fluff those and keep it moving.

I'm natural, 4a/b, a little past BSL. My main styles are braid outs or twist outs, so I usually just throw my hair in a ponytail at the top of my head and then put on a moisture wicking sweat band (see link below). I sweat A LOT, and my style looks pretty much the same except my roots are a little more puffy, which I don't mind because I like big hair. I sometimes keep my braids in while I work out (and don't take them out until they are completely dry the next day or so) and cleanse my scalp with sea breeze or witch hazel. I've also co-washed and put in a bun post-workout. I only straighten my hair about 3 times a year, and I'm one of those people that doesn't work out much when it's straight, only leisurely walking or low-intensity yoga. The moisture wicking sweat band is the key for me. I also have one from Nicole Ari Parker's brand, but the name escapes me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004DJUCBQ?pc_redir=1402312645&robot_redir=1

When my hair isn't in braids, I pretty much keep my hair bunned and pinned during the week anyway. After I exercise, I saturate it with a refresher spray or leave in conditioner. I only wash once a week and I don't have to do anything after each exercise session. My scalp doesn't itch or anything like that and as long as it's moisturized, it's fine. I haven't experienced any breakage either. Been doing this routine (outside of wearing braids) for 3 years since I've been natural.

I bun my hair before my workout and rinse with water after working out and then re-bun. Pretty boring. :)

I use to wear french braids when I worked out, but as my hair got longer it tangled too much when wet. The bun is much easier to manage.

I am natural. If I have been sweating profusely, I will do a quick cowash and bun. I definitely would not attempt a twistout, my hair would not dry quickly enough. Sometimes my hair is pretty much unaffected by my workout. Twistouts and braidouts that have been done with a good holding product remain pretty much the same. i fluff those and keep it moving.

Rocky91 - what holding product do U using? After a normal day, my twists outs have turned to frizz, let alone after working out!!!!

Ladies who sweat a lot during exercise, how do you wear your hair before, during, and after you work out?

I'm transitioning so having natural hair ladies response would be ideal as well as long term transitioners.

My baby's arrival due date is Aug 2 and I look forward to P90X3 to quickly get back in shape. However, if my hair is drenched in sweat and I wash it before work, what do I do? Do you take advantage of the sweat? Say you prepoo in twist, exercise, and cowash/style and off to work you go?

http://youtu.be/8-L4PLApyIk
The link above is a lady who rinsed her hair and did a twist out before class. Since her hair was still wet, she wore a beanie.

As a transitioner, should I only spray my roots? Thanks Ladies.

I am a natural bsl. I am in twists for a month at a time. I work out regularly and sweat profusely! I twist with my homemade coconut oil pomade only.

After the workout, I rinse for about 5-7min, then after I am out of the shower, dry my hair with my micro fiber towel till damp.

I then apply my leave-ins, seal with aragon oil or my pomade, put that in a bun or ponytail to stretch it and I am out the door. Hth!

I am a natural bsl. I am in twists for a month at a time. I work out regularly and sweat profusely! I twist with my homemade coconut oil pomade only. After the workout, I rinse for about 5-7min, then after I am out of the shower, dry my hair with my micro fiber towel till damp. I then apply my leave-ins, seal with aragon oil or my pomade, put that in a bun or ponytail to stretch it and I am out the door. Hth!

ajargon02

I've always loved the look of twists or plats put into a bun. How many single twists do you use? Do you have a pic of your bun/ponytail?

I condition my hair, put in my leave-in, and put on a headband and go about my business.

Now that I cut it all off yes lol. But before I got buzzer happy I usually wore buns on top of my head in the middle, or to the side with a braid up the back.

iVR how short?....I love short hair and I want to start working out more but the upkeep for relaxed and natural ugh! but with short hair I imagine it being a breeze. I am transitioning with sort hair already. I am probably 2 months since my last relaxer.

When I was transitioning, I just soaked my hair with conditioner before the workout, rinsed it out, gelled in the shower to control the two textures, scarf on the way to work and rocked a wet pony.

I work out before work or after work only, so that my hair isn't a major issue.

Before work: I use a moisture-wicking headband and I leave my hair in the braids or twists. After the work out, I shower and style as normal.

After work: I use the moisture-wicking headband and put my hair in a high puff or high bun. When I shower, I let spray hit my roots. I use a braid spray when I set my hair for the night. I wash my hair every 5-7 days.

I'm relaxed but I only relax 3-4 times a year so I do deal with a good amount of new growth.

Braidouts- I do 4 french braids. I either workout with the braids or with the braid out in a bun and rebraid before bed. I wear the save your do gymwrap.

Flat Ironed Hair - I put my hair in a ponytail and then a large blue flexi rod with the save your do gymwrap on top.

After working out, I keep the wrap on until after I shower, until the sweat has evaporated. My hair looks as if I never worked out with this regimen.

shtow, safe to say you're loving your SYD hair wrap? I plan to order soon. My friend loves hers. She's not on a HHJ so her explanation is a little different than the lingo we talk on hair forums.

shtow, safe to say you're loving your SYD hair wrap? I plan to order soon. My friend loves hers. She's not on a HHJ so her explanation is a little different than the lingo we talk on hair forums.
yup it's that good. I have backups in case they ever stop being sold lol

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

iVR how short?....I love short hair and I want to start working out more but the upkeep for relaxed and natural ugh! but with short hair I imagine it being a breeze. I am transitioning with sort hair already. I am probably 2 months since my last relaxer.

It's SL again, but I had the back and sides buzzed for a while. Short natural hair is covenant for workouts until it starts getting closer to ponytail territory.

At home I just work out in my celies and satin bonnet.
At the gym I wear a cute scarf or sometimes a bun with a headband. I don't sweat a whole lot unless my hair is down, so the buns and braids helps a lot.

I sweat a lot. I haven't found a solution. Rinsing doesn't work out very well for me. I can do it maaaybe once if my hair is in twists. After that, any more rinsing without detangling and my hair tangles up pretty badly. So I just exercise with my hair however it is and wash once a week, which is basically immediately after the 3rd exercise session (3 times a week).

However, if my hair is drenched in sweat and I wash it before work, what do I do? Do you take advantage of the sweat? Say you prepoo in twist, exercise, and cowash/style and off to work

I am a natural and I sweat by the bucket full (tmi?) when I wrk out.

I will usually bun after rinsing my hair or if I am in twists I just rinse and after that apply my leave-ins and seal and go abt my day.

Eta if you just rinse with no agitation ( just moving the twists so the water reaches ur scalp) u won't get tangling issues

I'm relaxed but I only relax 3-4 times a year so I do deal with a good amount of new growth.

Braidouts- I do 4 french braids. I either workout with the braids or with the braid out in a bun and rebraid before bed. I wear the save your do gymwrap.

Flat Ironed Hair - I put my hair in a ponytail and then a large blue flexi rod with the save your do gymwrap on top.

After working out, I keep the wrap on until after I shower, until the sweat has evaporated. My hair looks as if I never worked out with this regimen.

Im getting ready to purchase this not sure what size though.

Im natural. My hair is too poofy for a bun. So ill do two puff balls (pigtails for us naturals) or put my hair in about 12 twists and cover with a scarf (pulled back a bit to smooth my edges)

I sweat like ive been running a marathon after 10 minutes on the elliptical. Considering getting a headband to keep sweat out of my eyes

Im natural 4b and my hair is usually in plaits (like Celie :lol: ). I just put a scarf on and workout. I don't ever work out when my hair is blown out. When I was relaxed a high pony or bun with a headband preserved my style. I use the thick headbands so that any sweat gets absorbed

Back