Famous Last Phrases Before a Setback

faithVA

ooh so honest and so needed. I will be putting this thread in my subscriptions. I can feel the temptation tapping me on my shoulder to blow dry or try a dominican salon.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
The Set-Back things I often read go something like this:

"Then I Slept in it Overnight" Or....."I left it on for 4 hours".........

"She was an hour late".

"She took a rat-tail comb to detangle me Or....."She let some one else, wash, detangle, blow dry straighten"......

LovinLea

LovinLea What setback are you having? I'm relaxed and bleach and color:look:.

My setbacks were

- Imma try low maintenance routine and detangle once a week:rolleyes:
- Oh Mega Tek is growing out hair faster? Let me try that:sad:
- Silicon Mix has a lot of slip - Let me use that as my leave-in, dc, co-wash and moisturizer :drunk:
- Who really needs trims:ohwell:
- Yea I can trim my hair myself with these kitchen shears:spinning:
-Everyone is using WEN, Imma get Hair1 from Sallys :burning:
-Joico is popular lets try that:perplexed
-I know this conditioner says 5 to 10 minute - but Imma leave it on overnight and get EXTRA conditioning:gorgeous:
- Oh yeah and that one time I melted off all my bangs because I bleached and relaxed - that was totally my fault and I knew better:lachen:

I wish I could do all that to my hair. My bleached hair has lost its natural curl pattern. I have thick kinky black roots and loose wavy frizzy brown ends.

faithVA

I put the protein treatment in and fell asleep. When I woke up in the morning...:blush:

I'm going to try to leave these extensions in 4 months ...

I just got extensions put in my hair, how do I take care of it?

I just put henna in my hair, now my hair is hard, what should I do.
(Pre LHCF, this was my own personal set back :yep:)

lacreolegurl

I'm bored with this new color, so let me bleach it and dye it a different color.

I'm getting braids so I can leave them in for______months and not have to do my hair.

I'm getting a deva curl cut.

This would be me recently. :look: Thankfully, no longterm damage. Fear is a good teacher sometimes.

Last edited:

Keen

"It's OK to keep these braids for longer than intended as long as I wash them once a week".

"But LHCF members talk about how they retain length by stretching their relaxers to like 16 weeks. I can do that too. My hair will be like 2 inches longer when I get my relaxer :grin:"

Stories of my life.

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)
"Yeah, I had a little more breakage than normal, but I'm going to just stick it out til I finish this 6 month stretch".

yuhlovevybz

I'm joining the intense DC challenge. Deep conditioning with Megatek for one week under a plastic cap, under a wig, under a helmet. Let's grow!! :drunk:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
"I wanted to try this new stylist/salon that I had never been to before...."

"She said I needed a trim......"

"She told me I needed a relaxer....."

"She told me stretching was bad...."

"I knew she was---- being too rough/left the relaxer on too long/was cutting too much/had the iron too hot/didn't neutralize me properly----- but I didn't say anything. Just paid and left......."

"I asked her to just clip my ends....."

"She wouldn't tell me what she was using on my hair but it didn't feel right......"

Ugh!!!! If I had a dollar for every setback post that started with one of those.....

Lymegreen

Getting wrapped in youtube videos or haircare routines where people blowdry.

I will sit here with my mouth hanging open, thinking that if I just lightly blowdry to stretch my hair, I can then style with no problem, just like so-and-so.

Well, no ma'am! I know from experience that all it takes is one blowdry and it's a wrap; breakage ensues from there.

And to make it so much more ridiculous on my part, I am only blowdrying to put my hair in a protective style, which is all I wear anyway. :lol:

Guess what? I haven't touched a blowdryer in at least two years and my hair has thanked me.:yep: Almost got hypnotized by a couple of youtuber's over the past week and I had to give myself a quick dose of reality:

"THAT DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU SO STOP TRYING TO CONVINCE YOURSELF IT WILL!!!":drunk:

I needed to read that! I just bought a cheap blowdryer from Sally's this past weekend and planned to use it once I hit 10 weeks post relaxer. I haven't used direct heat since August '12 and my hair is doing well.

My hair hates direct heat! What was I thinking???!!!! :spinning:

Angelinhell

Rookie me around the end of 2010: "Oooh her hair is so pretty and long, she says she uses bentonite clay to make her hair shiny and thick."
"I'm going to try this:grin:"

*Goes to Sally's to look for bentonite clay, stumbles upon Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque, reads ingredients*

:scratchch

*skips happily out of Sally's*:yay:

*goes home to shampoo hair, then proceed to slather half a jar of "bentonite clay" in my hair and leave in for 2 hours*

*goes to rinse, and it won't rinse:cry2::wallbash:*

I had to shampoo my hair for a whole hour to get that crap out, my hair was so dry and brittle. I had to deep condition 3 times a week over the course of a month to make my hair feel soft again.

leona2025

Rookie me around the end of 2010: "Oooh her hair is so pretty and long, she says she uses bentonite clay to make her hair shiny and thick."

*Goes to Sally's to look for bentonite clay, stumbles upon Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque, reads ingredients*

*goes home to shampoo hair, then proceed to slather half a jar of "bentonite clay" in my hair and leave in for 2 hours*

I had to shampoo my hair for a whole hour to get that crap out, my hair was so dry and brittle. I had to deep condition 3 times a week over the course of a month to make my hair feel soft again.

I'm sorry but :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Royalq

"I wanted to try this new stylist/salon that I had never been to before...."

"She said I needed a trim......"

"She told me I needed a relaxer....."

"She told me stretching was bad...."

"I knew she was---- being too rough/left the relaxer on too long/was cutting too much/had the iron too hot/didn't neutralize me properly----- but I didn't say anything. Just paid and left......."

"I asked her to just clip my ends....."

"She wouldn't tell me what she was using on my hair but it didn't feel right......"

Ugh!!!! If I had a dollar for every setback post that started with one of those.....

she started to handle my hair really rough, when i told her to be more gentle she ignored me.
She detangled my hair with a rattail fine tooth comb. i had a headache at the end.
She blowdried my hair with no heat protectant, i didnt say nothing though. I stayed until the end. I just paid and left as fast as i could.

when i got home....:wallbash:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
"Why would I want to wear a bun everyday?" Yeah, regret that. Ps-ing is my life now.

"Oh, she co washes 2x a week and her hair is to her waist" COwashing is a waste of my time, conditioner and most of all, water.

"Shea butter... My skin loves is; my hair should too" can we say slip-unfriendly and bad detangler. My floor and hair meet once again

"I'm just gonna go to the Dominicans because I'm not feeling well" I barely last 2 days before I wash and pray my hair bounces back

"I need a little trim!" And come out with a hair cut.

"Pantene can't be bad, it has science to back it up" f%^* them f#%^ers that stuff is crap

"I don't need a protein treatment. My hair is just relaxed, not damaged" This led to moisture overload and bad breakage

"I need to comb with a fine teeth to get the hair to lay down straight" I didn't realize that was too much hair

"Oh, she only finger combs her hair? Her hair is so long and thick!" I need a wide tooth and medium comb and I have to comb 2x a day or else I get knots and breakage quick

Ill think of more when I'm not falling asleep :*

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

JosieLynn

lmbo i love this thread lol i've def said some of these things or thought them, thankfully now I'm pretty good with my regimen and i'm not going to fix what's not broken

Saludable84 did you really use shea butter as a detangler??? oh noooo!!!! :lachen::shocked: that stuff is solid and dense! lol

Saga

The Generous Queen
-Hey that youtube guru washed her 4a-b hair without sections! She just washed straight down! Im gonna try that too:nono:
Oh my gosh, this right here! I swear anytime I see a natural wash her hair w/o sections I'm like "It can be done!" Attempt it, then have the nerve to get mad when it comes out like a matted ball of wet string on my head.

Ladies, if you have fine hair that Matt's easily or a lot of shrinkage, DO NOT DO THIS! Sections are my best friend.

Lynnerie

Her hair is so long and she heat trains. I'm going to do that too. - I just had more splits.

I want the "best of both worlds" I'm going to texlax with ___ relaxer and mix it with some conditioner and oil. Yeah that should work cause it worked for her.
- Transitioning back to natural.

yuhlovevybz

"...and then she based my scalp with listerine..."

"My boyfriends ex is a liscensed cosmetologist...."

"I can't get my 4a hair straight. I'll go to the Dominicans."

"This product makes my dog/cat/horse/chubaca's coat really shiny. Hmm...."

Last edited:

crlsweetie912

"...and then she based my scalp with listerine..."

"My boyfriends ex is a liscensed cosmetologist...."

"I can't get my 4a hair straight. I'll go to the Dominicans."

"This product makes my dog/cat/horse/chubaca's cost really shiny. Hmm...."

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
"Ooh, I got so many compliments when I flat ironed my hair, let me do that every week!!!"

Fast forward 3 weeks later and my hair dried out like the Mojave Desert and started breaking like crazy. That was in December and I haven't looked at my flat iron since. A no direct heat regimen is the only way to go for my fine strands.

pearlific1

"Ooh, I got so many compliments when I flat ironed my hair, let me do that every week!!!"

Fast forward 3 weeks later and my hair dried out like the Mojave Desert and started breaking like crazy. That was in December and I haven't looked at my flat iron since. A no direct heat regimen is the only way to go for my fine strands.

This was me too. I ended up going from grazing MBL to not even APL in the matter of a month. I'm STILL trimming off damage ...a year later. SMH. Never Again.

Keen

Don't it feel good though? When people rave about a product and you find it at the store. You walk out all happy knowing this one WILL be the holy grail.