Who Else is Starting Fresh in 2009 After a Huge Setback?

Lady Esquire

Okay, so I started off 2008 as my best year ever, hair wise. But then during the late summer, my ends went crazy. Truth be told, I have a ton of layers, and the bottom layers were getting old and brittle...not a good combo when dealing with underprocessed hair.

Also, I had post-partum shedding that was tangling into my already brittle ends...For that reason, I cut off the ends that were causing a lot of the issues.

I cut off about 2 to 3 inches back in Oct. and another 2 to 3 inches with this fresh relaxer, a few days ago. So that is a huge setback, in terms of length. Had it not been for this, I would be Mid-Back Length right now. This is a disappointment.

I am still currently in NURTURE mode and will remain so, for the entire year.

My plans are to start fresh with this new length and grow it to Mid-Back Length by the end of the year. And the good news, all the hair I have now is strong, thick, and healthy. It is still in layers, making it appear thinner....but healthy nonetheless, which trumps length. Plus, the top layers are catching up to the bottom, so I expect the ends to thicken up next year.

Who else is nursing their hair back from a big setback?

Length Before Oct Trim.

Length After Recent Trim a Few Days Ago

Length After Recent Trim.

Kind of embarrassed to show these pics...be nice.

Last edited:

antisocial

Um, what are you talking about you're embarassed?:rolleyes::lachen:You're hair looks nice, before and after the trim.

Anyway, I'm starting over. A few months ago my ends just turned into a raggedy hot mess so now I'm back at shoulder length after a major trim.

Amerie123

I have always been a fan of your hair and I still love your hair and your length. I know that you will get it back on track.

Latomian

You shouldn't be embarrassed...your hair is still gorgeous:drool:! My '09 setback is that my ends are in horrible shape and I'm about to cut 2-3" to SL in 5 days!!! At some point in my life, I was BSL...how I got here, I don't know.

Starting over.:fistshake:

Prettypsych

I've been a fan, too LE. I think it still looks good. With the extra care in '09, it'll look even more fab. Keep us updated. :)

Lady Esquire

Um, what are you talking about you're embarassed?:rolleyes::lachen:You're hair looks nice, before and after the trim.

Anyway, I'm starting over. A few months ago my ends just turned into a raggedy hot mess so now I'm back at shoulder length after a major trim.

Thanks girl.

Have you seen the perfect ends on the LHCF crew?!

When I look at those ends, and how see-thru they are in pics, I cringe.

But in person, in the mirror, they look fine....:spinning: Thanks again.

I have always been a fan of your hair and I still love your hair and your length. I know that you will get it back on track.

Thanks, girl. :kiss: I was tasting MBL. So this year, its ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

prospurr4

Ah, my follow texlaxing sistah, your hair looks so thick and healthy after your trim. I'm sorry that you feel this is a setback, but it doesn't look like you cut that much off; it's still very long. You will reach your goal length in no time.

SUPER SWEET

Your hair looks great :up:
Now me on the other hand:nono: I had a major set back and didnt even know it for awhile. I went to a stylist who used unregulated heat:burning:(hot comb and marcel irons) and I have alot of hair that was burnt. 'It 's just damaged:perplexed. So I went to another place and had them cut 5 inches off. So now I'm just nursing my hair back to health.

Lady Esquire

Your hair looks great :up:
Now me on the other hand:nono: I had a major set back and didnt even know it for awhile. I went to a stylist who used unregulated heat:burning:(hot comb and marcel irons) and I have alot of hair that was burnt. 'It 's just damaged:perplexed. So I went to another place and had them cut 5 inches off. So now I'm just nursing my hair back to health.

I am sorry to hear about the heat damage. Losing length sucks. But the beauty is, you can always start over and grow it even healthier.

Thanks ladies. I am a tough self-critic.......already breaking one of my resolutions.

I am psyched for 2009 though. Its gonna be a good hair year, ya'll!!!!!!!!!!

Lady Esquire

Ah, my follow texlaxing sistah, your hair looks so thick and healthy after your trim. I'm sorry that you feel this is a setback, but it doesn't look like you cut that much off; it's still very long. You will reach your goal length in no time.

You make a good point about the texlaxing, it makes the straight ends look thinner. :yep:

Prospurr, your hair reminds me of my own, so you know it is with the love/hate.

prospurr4

You make a good point about the texlaxing, it makes the straight ends look thinner. :yep:

Prospurr, your hair reminds me of my own, so you know it is with the love/hate.

Yeah, I still have about 2 inches of straight ends left after my "transition" to texlaxing. I won't be totally satisfied until I chop that off, which I plan to do later this year, as those ends cross the WL line. I keep putting it off because I prefer wearing curly styles or updos over straight styles, so no one ever sees my ends anyway.

I am basically starting over. I was close to APL but discovered that I will need to have about 1 1/2 to 2 inches taken off after taking off 1/2 inch. I will probably be barely shoulder at that point. I keep telling myself that it's just hair and it will grow back.:cry:

locabouthair

Your hair looks great!! It's grown so much!

I had to trim off two inches and still have more to cut but i will wait a couple of months. I am very much in nurture mode right now..My nape grew back but my sides are still very thin.

Lady Esquire

I think your hair looks just fine. A good starting point for 2009.
Thanks, girl.

I am thinking it is a good start towards my goal.

Your hair looks great!! It's grown so much!

I had to trim off two inches and still have more to cut but i will wait a couple of months. I am very much in nurture mode right now..My nape grew back but my sides are still very thin.
Thanks. I am glad that your nape grew. That's a milestone and indication of TLC. The rest will fill in.

I am basically starting over. I was close to APL but discovered that I will need to have about 1 1/2 to 2 inches taken off after taking off 1/2 inch. I will probably be barely shoulder at that point. I keep telling myself that it's just hair and it will grow back.:cry:
I keep telling myself the same thing. But there is energy in hair. So its not just hair. Laughing at the cryins smiley. Cheer up, girl, its NEW YEAR'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I still have about 2 inches of straight ends left after my "transition" to texlaxing. I won't be totally satisfied until I chop that off, which I plan to do later this year, as those ends cross the WL line. I keep putting it off because I prefer wearing curly styles or updos over straight styles, so no one ever sees my ends anyway.

I agree 1000% with the bolded, 'cause I too will not be totally satisfied.
I am going back to rollersets, and other protective styles that keep it out of my mind. I kept putting off cutting off my ends, but it was time.

Imani

I had a huge setback. My hair was nice and thick and on track early this summer. no breakage. longest and best i'd seen it in a while and getting very close to my goal (shoulder length). i was going to stylist every week. then i started having to work long hours and also tryign to go on dates. So i'd tackle my hair myself when i couldn't get a salon appointment:nono:. It just started going down hill from there. then i had a section of hair snap off almost down to the root that i'm not sure how it happend. It could have gotten too dry or tangled from stretching too long. or either from heat damage.

So now tommorow, i'm getting a relaxer, cut in a bob, deep moisture steam treatment, and a clear rinse. This will be my fresh start. I'm hoping it will be back on track again before summer.

hardymem

Beautiful hair, don't be discouraged I wish I was where you are after the cut. Your hair is great you are being too hard on yourself. You know stuff happens, stress happens and after having a baby you are blessed to still have hair (my sister lost so much after having hers). You and your hair are beautiful.

Angelicus

Yes, I had to receive a big cut after an accident washing out relaxer. I cannot wait to have long hair again and I am now back in the swing of things.

Lady Esquire

So now tommorow, i'm getting a relaxer, cut in a bob, deep moisture steam treatment, and a clear rinse. This will be my fresh start. I'm hoping it will be back on track again before summer.
Imani, there is nothing like a fresh start. It makes you feel brand new and psychs you up to tackle this challenge again.

Your hair is great you are being too hard on yourself. You know stuff happens, stress happens and after having a baby you are blessed to still have hair (my sister lost so much after having hers). You and your hair are beautiful.
I am a huge self-critic. Gotta work on that. Yeah, I am shedding like an animal. Gonna buy some garlic pills later. Sorry to hear about your sister. Hormones can wreak havoc. :nono:

Yes, I had to receive a big cut after an accident washing out relaxer. I cannot wait to have long hair again and I am now back in the swing of things.

I am damned-near OCD when rinsing a relaxer....I do it a million times, like a neutralizing nut. My fingers wrinkle up like prunes when I'm done. AND I neutralize the week after the relaxer too...just to make sure.