Fellow Wig/weave Wearers..do These Pictures Make You Feel Differently About Wearing Them?

UniquelyDivine

The Thiruthani Murugan Temple in Tamil Nadu sees people of all ages, especially women and children, getting their heads shaved to sacrifice in the name of religion. The process of shaving one’s hair and donating it to the gods is known as tonsuring. It is common for Hindus to tonsure their hair at a temple as children, and also to celebrate a wish coming true, such as the birth of a baby or the curing of an illness. The ‘temple hair’ is then auctioned off to a processing plant and then sold as expensive wigs and weaves in the U.S., Europe and Africa. Here are a few striking images from photographer Allison Joyce’s trip to Thiruthani as she captured the people and the process that has now become an intrinsic part of the global wig trade.

View this image ›

59-year-old Laksmi has her head shaved at the Thiruthani Murugan Temple in Thiruttani, India. Her daughter was sick but she got better, so she wanted to show the Gods her gratitude by shaving her head. Allison Joyce / Getty Images

View this image ›

59 year old Laksmi has her head shaved at the Thiruthani Murugan Temple in Thiruttani, India. Allison Joyce / Getty

View this image ›

Parents wrestle their daughter into place so that her hair can be donated to the Gods at the Thiruthani Murugan Temple in Thiruttani, India. Allison Joyce / Getty Images

View this image ›

28-year-old Rupa has her hair shaven to donate to the Gods at the Thiruthani Murugan Temple. Allison Joyce / Getty

View this image ›

28-year-old Rupa has her hair shaven to donate to the Gods at the Thiruthani Murugan Temple November 10, 2016 in Thiruttani, India. Rupa donated her hair with the wish that her daughter’s illness is cured. Allison Joyce / Getty Images

View this image ›

28-year-old Rupa and her mother look at her daughter’s shaven head at the Thiruthani Murugan Temple in

View this image ›

28-year-old Rupa has her baby’s hair shaved to donate to the Gods at the Thiruthani Murugan Temple in Thiruttani,

View this image ›

28-year-old Rupa and her children pose for a photo after having their heads shaven at the Thiruthani Murugan Temple in Thiruttani, India. Allison Joyce / Getty Images

View this image ›

A Hindu devotee with turmeric on her shaved head prays at the Thiruthani Murugan Temple in Thiruttani, India. Allison Joyce / Getty Images

View this image ›

59-year-old Laksmi poses for a photo after having her head shaved at the Thiruthani Murugan Temple in Thiruttani, India. Allison Joyce / Getty Images

View this image ›

A girl feels her shaved head at the Thiruthani Murugan Temple in Thiruttani, India. Allison Joyce /

View this image ›

A Hindu devotee puts turmeric on her shaved head at the Thiruthani Murugan Temple

View this image ›

Rani poses for a photo after having her head shaved at the Thiruthani Murugan

View this image ›

Rani poses for a photo after having her head shaved at the Thiruthani Murugan Temple

View this image ›

A woman who has shaved her head is seen at the Thiruthani Murugan Temple in Thiruttani, India

View this image ›

A worker processes hair at Raj Hair International in Thiruttani, India. All of the hair they export comes from Tamil Nadu, 1/4 of which is temple hair and the rest comes from comb waste that people sell.

View this image ›

A worker hand makes a wig at Raj Hair International November 11, 2016 in Thiruttani, India. Raj Hair International donates wigs to cancer patients in India and also exports hair products, including weaves and wigs, to 56 countries. They estimate that it takes 1 full month to make one wig by hand.

View this image ›

A woman adjusts wigs on display at Raj Hair International November 11, 2016 in Thiruttani, India. Raj Hair International donates wigs to cancer patients in India and also exports hair products, including weaves and wigs, to 56 countries.

UniquelyDivine

I want to know how the processing happens.

Me too... At one time I was really researching how to cut the middle man out and get my business poppin off, making plans to visit hair factories in India and all, I thought I had a good grasp of how it all worked but I was thrown off by this which shouldn't be surprising but still..

" 1/4 of which is temple hair and the rest comes from comb waste that people sell."

lesedi

All is well with me
Me too... At one time I was really researching how to cut the middle man out and get my business poppin off, making plans to visit hair factories in India and all, I thought I had a good grasp of how it all worked but I was thrown off by this which shouldn't be surprising but still..

" 1/4 of which is temple hair and the rest comes from comb waste that people sell."
That grosses me out , although it shouldn't since there is no real difference in the hair technically.

jeanghrey

Is it just women who go through this ritual? do the people of the town benefit financially from this?

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón

She's beautiful! Reminds me of Black women who shave their heads for some spiritual/emotional release who have beautiful smiles as deep and wide as oceans. Anyhoo, I've known about it for ages. Chicken and beef? Mass farming? Mass production of anything? Same. Supply and demand. But, if people feel kinda vegan about it, there is always synthetic hair that is surprisingly more afro life-like than processed Indian hair and much cheaper.

ForestRose

yea this was in that good hair movie, that was when i first heard about this.

i feel like we both happy tho. they want to shave their heads as part of that spiritual practice and i want some remy. win-win. :look:
Yeah but a lot of the time it isn't a win win. Most of the time they sell their hair out of desperation and poverty with the hopes that it will improve either their household or community. I have a strong feeling that the hair companies profiting from this twist it so that it makes people feel better but being honest the industry is quite bad and a lot of people still don't know.

ForestRose

To answer the OPs question, yes I do feel bad. Which is why I've decided not to buy anymore human hair weave. I'm just making the most out of the one I have now but once that's done I'm just gonna buy synthetic. I do think it's weird that veganism has become such a big thing yet people have kinda overlooked how unethical the human hair industry is. It's essentially human fur when you put it into perspective.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Yeah but a lot of the time it isn't a win win. Most of the time they sell their hair out of desperation and poverty with the hopes that it will improve either their household or community. I have a strong feeling that the hair companies profiting from this twist it so that it makes people feel better but being honest the industry is quite bad and a lot of people still don't know.
I guess i was under the impression that it was being willingly donated....didn't realize they sold it.

ms.blue

Nope! I feel no types of ways when I see these pictures. Indian people sacrifice the their hair for religious reasons and the temples actually sell the hair to brokers to earn money for their temples. In China and other east Asian countries, these women sell their hair to brokers as well which these brokers also provide jobs for their people.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I don't wear hear that isn't mine. The pics bother me but I am a softie anyway. LOL.

My first BC I wore a wig. Got it at the BSS. I don't know what it was made with. It was $20 and that was 12 years ago so probably synthetic. I stopped wearing it after seven weeks.

theRaven

No it does not bother me. I've know about this since my freshman year in college. The only reason I don't do fake hair anymore is because of the politics involved.