Finally a good hairdresser-Long!

DahomeyAhosi

This is reason to celebrate. I went in today dreading my experience after dealing with 2 hairdressers (one had a severe attitude problem, the other combed half of my hair out before she blow dried the rest to a fried crisp).

Anyway after scratching my head like crazy all week(I'd been applying castor oil for a week to try to prevent any serious burning because the itching just wouldn't stop) I went in for a retouch with Mizani sensitive scalp with a new hairdresser. As soon as she saw me the lady asked me if I had any family members who were hairdressers because she said I obviously take good care of my hair. She then told me that I was right to relax infrequently and that most hairdressers don't like doing long hair and would prefer to cut it off and put a weave in. When I told her I did not want any direct heat she confirmed that it was best to dry natural.

She applied the relaxer without any burning and minimal scalp pulling while combing. She then washed and deeped conditioned my hair before sitting my under a dryer. Unlike most hairdressers who take scissors to my hair and start trimming without bothering to ask she didn't even ask if I wanted a trim. Instead she told me to continue taking good care of my hair and saw me on my way.

Btw While speaking with me she told me of her granddaughter who has been relaxed for 11 years (by her) and has thick, long hair. She said she keeps her hair healthy by relaxing every 4 to 5 months with Mizani and wearing her hair in braids (no extensions).

What a breath of fresh air from a nice professional lady. Needless to say I gave her a big tip.

aqualung

Another good touchup story!
@ not needing a trim! (My stylist always offers it. He enjoys the act of trimming.) That bit about stylists disliking long hair is offputting.

How much does she charge, and will she consider relocating to Boston?

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
@ not needing a trim! (My stylist always offers it. He enjoys the act of trimming.)

[/ QUOTE ]

DA, Congrats on finding a great stylist!! Megon, my stylist likes to trim, too!! He loves to lecture me on how "everyone wants to grow their hair long, but no one wants to do it the right way" (by getting regular trims). He's usually
, but other times I just wanna
him!!

Angelicus

I am so happy to hear this!
now it is my turn to find a great stylist: within me of course.

off topic: megonw, i love your avatar!

DahomeyAhosi

megonw,

She charges $60 and up for relaxers. She only charged me $60 so I didn't bother to ask how she scales the price though I assumed it was based on length. There are some ladies who come down from northern Connecticut which is near southern Mass but not quite as far as Boston!

DahomeyAhosi

You are so right but this one is a shrewd businesswoman. When I walked in and saw businesswoman awards from the local NAACP I felt very relieved. She understands that her customers are walking advertisements which is something most hairdressers seem to be unaware of...

DahomeyAhosi

karezone,

She is in Connecticut and charges $60 and up for relaxers. She uses Mizani exclusively. She said that she uses it not because it's much different than other relaxers but because she wanted to get to know one product very well so that she would know how to apply it to anyone's hair to get the results they needed. She's been using their products since 1990.

DahomeyAhosi

anky I felt just like you the last time I went to a stylist. I dread going to stylists so if you want to strike out on your own I understand 100%.

Vet27

Its seems like it took me 10 years to find a good stylist. My current stylist was recommeded form my sister friend. I had;nt seen her in about 2 years, she had all this long hair and i was like what have you been doing(the last time I seen her she had like 2 inches of hair) Now its a good 12 inches long. He uses affrim, never trims until I ask, only lighlty dusts, does wet sets, crimp sets. Told me to use care free curl spray when wearing braids! Never heard a hairdresser say that. Perms are $45. Wets Sets or blow outs are $30 bucks. Plus all of his clients have hair down there backs. I am in love:)

Vet27