Positive Hairdresser Visit & Tips

NayNay

Well I drove thru 3 states to go and get my hair did!!!! I just got my 3 month touch up! SMILE My hair has grown but it is STILL not shoulder length since the STANKY hairdresser chopped 6 inches in January. But ANYWHO!
My hairdresser uses Desire products and she only left the relaxer in long enough to apply it to my hair! No burning or anything. She trimmed the ends which needed it. SHe set it (doobie) and left some of the curls in. It looked fine. I wrapped it and the majority of the curls came out but it is wavy and has a lot of body. I LOVE this hairdresser. Her name is Sonya and she works in Southern VA at Agape. If anyone wants her info let me know! She only applies relaxer to new growth and will discuss your hair with you. I have very thick hair and other hairdressers have used the strongest relaxers out there and want the relaxers to "marinate". She told me you barely have a curl pattern and that is overprocessing your hair. She also wrapped my head up in saran wrap. She did this after she took out the rollers and sat me under a cool dryer. She wrapped my hair and sat me under the dryer to loosen the curl. The saran wrap was to allow the product absorb in my hair (leave in conditioner). She also told me that cool light heat will not damage the hair and will keep the cuticles lying down. I am very lightly relaxed and sometimes my set is not smooth when I air dry. She recommends using a little heat to smooth down the hair. I am happy and plan on seeing her in July!

pebbles

Hey NayNay,

I'm glad everything went so well for you.
Goodness knows finding a hair dresser you like can be like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Crysdon

She sounds like a winner Nay Nay!

I'm so happy for you, you will get back those lost 6 inches in no time.

Integrity

good for you, about time! man, the old stylist chopped a years growth away? ou must have been fuming! and rightly so, i think i remember you posting her on the list of 'not wanted' stylists (to stay away from) in the salon review section.

congrats and enjoy your hair!

NayNay

She uses Design and she SWEARS BY the creme leave in and says their foaming wrap lotion is the bomb. I purchased some and she says they are great for braid outs. It will keep the hair from getting big. She also sat down and showed me how to wrap my hair until I got it down. She has shown me how to set my hair with the doobie rollers on a number of occassions BUT I still don't have it down. She showed me an easy up do this weekend!
Other hairstylists have complained about me waiting 3 months without relaxing my hair. She says if your hair isnt damaged (which mine isnt from waiting) then it isn't an issue.
She is great I made a post in the salon section about her!

Jade21

NayNay,

I'm elated for you

You now have great peace of mind which you needed after that scissor-happy stylist. Sonya sounds like a great person and truly helpful!

~Jade~

NayNay

Thanks Ladieezzz!
Yes Sonya is kinda tall 5'8"-5'9". She is fair and she just relaxed her hair again. I think u have the right person!

beana3

Hey nay nay, how pricey are the products sonya suggested?I've been looking for something to give my braidouts less poof and more definition.

NayNay

I bought the design setting lotion/foam for $9. I wanted to try the lottabody creme but had such a hard time finding it I GAVE UP!
I am going to wait to use it though. My hair is brushes my shoulders and I don't want to look like BOZO the clown with a braidout. I wear it super curly and I get a lot of shrinkage! I may try it with a roller set and I will let you know!

patticake

i'm so glad somebody had a good salon experience!
i got my hair relaxed yesterday and my hairdresser is too out of control! she yanked through my newgrowth and said, " Girl, i hope you haven't been puttin' no braids in your hair!" i'm very confused by that. is there something wrong with braids now?! then she scolded me for waiting 2 months to finally get a relaxer, she said my hair looked awful. well tell me why was i getting compliments that morning on how cute my hair looked. anyway, i finally mumbled "Ouch!" when the yanking got just to unbearable. then she said i was acting like a baby. ok, i could see if i was cryin' and whinin' . i think she's just went too far this time. she really offended me by calling me a baby, i thought that was uncalled for. i'm doing her a favor by giving her some business and i think she could've apologized for hurting my head instead of insulting me. since i've been going to her since i was 8 i didn't say anything. i just held in the pain. but when my hair was all done, (sigh) i just wish y'all could've seen it! it looked like a complete rush job. i had so many flyaways and worst of all i still had curls in my "kitchen" area! the only thing she uses to style my hair is Motions Foaming Wrap and then she puts me under the dryer for an hour, followed by blowdrying with a nylon bristle brush and the heat on so high it burns my scalp. then she hot curls it. my hair was so dry when i left there. i figure i can do a better job myself.

NayNay

Patticake
I am sooo sory that your experience was BAD! Ouch I know about the yanking. I went to another stylist since I couldn't get to my regular hairdresser and I got the same thing..the yanking and scolding for waiting so long. I mean GOSH what is sooo bad about our NATURAL hair! U think it was BRUSH or JUNGLE or something the way some hairdressers complain. My GREAT stylist just says COMB the new growth and detangle it gently. She was impressed that this time I had!!!!! SMILE

How did I do it u maey ask????
OK I wish I owned the KeraCare line! But try that. I usually have tangley hair but the KeraCare Humecto conditioner detangles and moisturizes my hair like a PRO!!!! I wait 3 months for a relaxer and I let it sit for at least 3 hours and my hair is completely detangled the week before I got it done. I usually wash my hair 2x a week and only washed it once and didnt comb it (ponytail) for 2 days that week and it was STILL detangled!!!!!

patticake

ok, i'll have to try the KeraCare line. i always see it at my local beauty supply but never thought of trying it. i'll have to look into it next payday.
thanks!

azul11

you know this convinces me that a bad hair salon experience is not only because of lack of professionalism, knowledge and respect but because people take it. its good you learned that you now know that you dont deserve someone yanking on your head like a mad woman. i learned from this site if the lady who was braiding my hair braided too tight that i bring a hat and just slip the hat on my head and walk out. they need my money. i am paying them for a service. i think we are too afraid of starting anything or being unpleasant by voicing our opinions of feelings but any joe smoe can apply a relaxer and rinse out a neutralizer. it seems like they are giving out licenses at gas stations or something seeing how some unqualified women are apply chemicals to people's hair with little regards to the person and without any real knowledge of hair care. i feel we should speak up. we have learned so much from each other and we know when a person is doing our hair wrong. dont be afraid to speak up. there are probably plenty of women in that same salon who were thinking the same thing but were afraid to say anything. i had a stylist who i used to go to for years and when i went to her she kept making snide remarks about my hair and i let it go but i decided i wasnt going to go back and deal with that again. i'm sorry but i am paying you for a service not to have you verbally abuse me and to mistreat my hair. i guess we have to learn to stand up for ourselves sometimes because i think we have been letting some of these stylists get away with too much for too long.
God bless you all.

patticake

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
azul11 said:
you know this convinces me that a bad hair salon experience is not only because of lack of professionalism, knowledge and respect but because people take it. its good you learned that you now know that you dont deserve someone yanking on your head like a mad woman. i learned from this site if the lady who was braiding my hair braided too tight that i bring a hat and just slip the hat on my head and walk out. they need my money. i am paying them for a service. i think we are too afraid of starting anything or being unpleasant by voicing our opinions of feelings but any joe smoe can apply a relaxer and rinse out a neutralizer. it seems like they are giving out licenses at gas stations or something seeing how some unqualified women are apply chemicals to people's hair with little regards to the person and without any real knowledge of hair care. i feel we should speak up. we have learned so much from each other and we know when a person is doing our hair wrong. dont be afraid to speak up. there are probably plenty of women in that same salon who were thinking the same thing but were afraid to say anything. i had a stylist who i used to go to for years and when i went to her she kept making snide remarks about my hair and i let it go but i decided i wasnt going to go back and deal with that again. i'm sorry but i am paying you for a service not to have you verbally abuse me and to mistreat my hair. i guess we have to learn to stand up for ourselves sometimes because i think we have been letting some of these stylists get away with too much for too long.
God bless you all.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree 110%!
i've never thought anything about my hair until i had a bad experience with braids. now that i've found this site i've gained so much knowledge. i figured my beauticians ruffness with my hair was just a part of her haircare. now i see it's not haircare but "no" care. it's not her hair so she doesn't care a thing about my hair. i've been counseling so many people i know about the things i learn here. they're all very happy with their results. even my dad has taken some advice. and all of them said i sound like i know more than the beauticians we go to. anyway, i'd just like to thank all the ladies here that's attributed to my knowledge, and also my hair success i've been experiencing lately. because i feel so strong about the things i've learned here i'm definitely going to take courage and stand up to anyone that makes little remarks toward my hair.

karezone

Why don't you go somewhere else. The last time I checked, it was you who was paying her. If you are not happy with how your hair is looking go take your money somewhere else.

patticake

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
karezone said:
Why don't you go somewhere else. The last time I checked, it was you who was paying her. If you are not happy with how your hair is looking go take your money somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

right now i'm in the process of finding someone else. it's just been hard because i've known her since i was little and no one else has prices as low. recently i just decided to stop going my usual every 2 weeks and made it every 6 just for my relaxer. i feel she does straighten my hair really well and the rest ( styling, hot oil treatments, washing. etc) i can just do myself.

NayNay

I think it is the same Sonya. Her hair is black and she is thick and cute.

Her shop is in Hampton, VA on Mercury Blvd. The shop's name is Agape! When my hair was short. I would go to her and for 2 weeks (bad habit I know) I didnt wash or do anything to my hair it held its shape and I had to curl it very little. She also use to rod my hair and the rods would last for 2 weeks.
She is great. She did my hair for years and it was full and pretty! I was sad when I moved!!!