Finally Found What Works To Moisturize My Extremely Low Porosity Hair

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
Okay so not that I think anyone will care or read this but hii!! I'm new here (I've been lurking for mad long but that $6.50 was telling me not to join for the longest time lol) but I figured it was a good time to join because I've finally found out how to moisturize my low, low, low porosity hair after like almost 4 years. (Sad, I know lol)

Before I go into detail, I want to say sorry this is so long in advance! I wanted to include my "hair history" and everything because, as a new member, there is no other info on my hair on here and it helps to know if someone's hair is similar to yours. So sorry! :rolleyes: I have the main subjects in bold so you can just skip to whatever interests you, okay?

Backstory: I've been natural since birth. I'm extremely low porosity, a weird kind of type 4 (I say this because like type 4c I'm easily 85% shrinkage, but most 4c is more cottony than mines, while type 4b hair has zig zags and I don't have those. So I just call it wooly. You know, like sheep hair? A true blessing from the LORD :love::love::love: I'm so glad that my mother never relaxed me and that I never relaxed myself even though I was tempted to texlax because detangling used to be so hard). There are no curls that I can see in it with some random coils coming out when they feel like it. I honestly consider myself 4c, its just not as cottony as the main examples that I usually see. I think it might be because most 4c heads have finer strands, but mine are mostly medium/average, and they grow thicker and coarser as my nutrition gets better. It behaves like a type 4a/4b when styled, but there are no curls or zig-zag pattern. Long story short... I LOVE IT!

I had between shoulder and armpit length as a kid but my mom would just shampoo roughly and blowdry, then put my hair in those big two-strand twists with the little bo-bo-bos at the end lol. This kept on until I was like 9 I think.

I got locs when I was 9 (by choice. My mom and sister was getting them so I was like "I want them too!" Mind you I had no idea that it was permanent... didnt care neither now that I look back. No regrets lol) and I had them until I was in 9th grade. I combed out my 7 year old locs instead of chopping it all off over the length of an entire summer (that was a HOT HOT mess) with a rat-tail comb (the metal end side) and that left me with a foreign head of super kinky (pure 4b/4c), APL hair. Mind you, I was new to ever handling my own hair in my whole life, loose or loc'd.

Long story short, I big chopped that off about 15 months ago due to an extreme struggle. I'm talking about struggles of all kinds. I could go into more detail, but you probably have a life to return to so just know that I did everything and anything trying to learn how to get my chronic dryness and the unsightliness (severaly style challenged) to go away and it wasnt working! lol. Another reason I bced was because detangling was taking me 5-6 hours because I had a good 4 inches of feathering/splits at the ends that would tangle so so SO bad when I washed. I was also not washing enough because I knew 5 hours of detangling and another failure was awaiting me, and I'd end up hopping into the shower with a crap load of shed hair still up in my dome (so it was matted), then using a cheap BSS BRUSH (I can ONLY use wide tooth combs!) to try to detangle the matted mess I was left with... *cringes*

When I think about all of the common sense things that I got wrong back then I get sad sometimes.

So I big chopped out of frustration when I moved and that was on August 2nd of 2015. Now my hair is about collar bone length in the back and chin length in the front (a little shorter in the crown.)

One of my biggest struggles was with moisture (the other was detangling, but I've got that down pact too! yay!). When I tell ya'll my ish was drier than I thought hair could possibly be... not even gonna go there. Just know that it was beyond terrible and it took me so long to recognize all of my hair's triggers. So anyway, lets get on with it.

The things that moisturized my hair:

Soaking! My hair cannot be washed with a shower head, it needs to be soaked and immersed in the water completely for a couple of minutes for the cuticles to open. Now that I think about it, I should have known this a long time ago because when I did that water test (where you sink a strand in water) to check my porosity the strand floated for DAYS, but when I held it under the water for a minute or two and then let it go, it sunk and the strand accepted the water. Try it and see if yours works the same. You'd be amazed at how just using water differently makes a big difference. I fill up my bath and get in, then lay back and keep my entire head under the water, massaging my scalp of dirt with my nails for seven minutes. I do it for seven minutes because 7 is a holy number (a little luck from The Most High will never hurt). Its baby soft when I'm done. I really believe prayer and cleaving unto God has helped heal my head, if not that alone.

I don't use any commercial products - shampoo or conditioner. There is nothing in my routine that takes the moisture out of my hair in the first place because my strands are never shampooed. I use a simple (and more efficient than shampoo for me) mix of 50% white vinegar (because its cheap) and 50% green tea (for shedding and alkalinity) on my SCALP ONLY by using an applicator bottle out of the bathroom. I then massage that into my scalp and let it sit for 10-30 minutes while the tub fills up. Girrrlll vinegar is bomb for a clean scalp! And cheap too. I get like a gallon for $2.00 at Weis. No fuss. I warn you lo-po people to dilute it and not use it on the length of the hair since it is acidic and it will close the cuticles. Scalp only is key.

After that I just clean in the twists as I'm soaking my hair by removing dirt with my nails. I do this weekly. My scalp is cleaner and healthier than ever (and the sebum and natural moisture remains), my shedding has gone down a lot from the tea and my hair is so so soft since there's no shampoo drying it out AND no crappy, protein-filled conditioners making it drier and brittler than hell. Both shampoos AND conditioners were a problem for me. The only answer was removing them both, because believe it or not, these coconut-oil filled, secretly aloe vera juice containing, shea butter filled conditioners were waaayy worse than sulfate shampoos for my low porosity hair! Even the protein-free ones contain either olive or coconut oil, and my hair will not tolerate those. I can only condition with real H20, thank you very much.

And lastly, my beloved leave-in! 50% water and 50% glycerin. Simple. I just apply a little before retwisting and it leaves my hair moisturized for more than a week. No touch-ups necessary.

For so long I hated that my hair was so dry, wishing for normal porosity, but now I realize that low porosity is a blessing! My hair was just trying to tell me that it doesn't need all of the extra stuff. Not even conditioner. It just wasn't accepting water in the first place. And even the leave-in that works for me now is based upon holding water to my hair (glycerin is a humectant. And for anyone wondering, I began using it in the middle of a dry, zero-humidity winter - still works AMAZING. When premixed with water, glycerin does not pull in or out an excess water in any environment or humidity. Just don't use it straight and you can use it all year round.)

For any low-porosity and frustrated people out there, stay motivated because low porosity will stay moisturized for DAAYSS when you find out what works for you. Good things takes a lot of work in the making.

(If anyone wants details on how to detangle 4b/4c hair faster and with less breakage, message me. I've been there done ALLL of that and I'll help you in a heart beat!!)

I hope this helps somebody. Have a good day!! (And again, sorry this was so long! Don't come for me! lol)

GGsKin

:hiya:Welcome out of lurkdom. I wash my hair in the shower but I am with you when it comes to making sure my low- normal po hair is saturated with water. The moisture lasts for days and days.

Last edited:

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
SweetSunshine you should definitely try it! It's different from using the shower somehow. I know it sounds like if you wet your hair well enough in the shower that it should work the same, but for some reason engulfing mine and letting it sit for a couple of minutes is different. I recommend trying the cup test to see if soaking a piece of hair makes your strand sink. If at first it floats (a sign of low porosity), hold it inside of the water yourself for two minutes or so, and then let it go. If it sinks, it should definitely help with moisture. This is an easy way to see if its worth while before you try your whole head. Good luck! And for added moisture you can using an oil of your choice before soaking, as an oil-rinse at the same time (yummmyyyy) since it seems you use shampoo.

Last edited:

bubbles12345

Okay so not that I think anyone will care or read this but hii!! I'm new here (I've been lurking for mad long but that $6.50 was telling me not to join for the longest time lol) but I figured it was a good time to join because I've finally found out how to moisturize my low, low, low porosity hair after like almost 4 years. (Sad, I know lol)

Before I go into detail, I want to say sorry this is so long in advance! I wanted to include my "hair history" and everything because, as a new member, there is no other info on my hair on here and it helps to know if someone's hair is similar to yours. So sorry! :rolleyes: I have the main subjects in bold so you can just skip to whatever interests you, okay?

Backstory: I've been natural since birth. I'm extremely low porosity, a weird kind of type 4 (I say this because like type 4c I'm easily 85% shrinkage, but most 4c is more cottony than mines, while type 4b hair has zig zags and I don't have those. So I just call it wooly. You know, like sheep hair? A true blessing from the LORD :love::love::love: I'm so glad that my mother never relaxed me and that I never relaxed myself even though I was tempted to texlax because detangling used to be so hard). There are no curls that I can see in it with some random coils coming out when they feel like it. I honestly consider myself 4c, its just not as cottony as the main examples that I usually see. I think it might be because most 4c heads have finer strands, but mine are mostly medium/average, and they grow thicker and coarser as my nutrition gets better. It behaves like a type 4a/4b when styled, but there are no curls or zig-zag pattern. Long story short... I LOVE IT!

I had between shoulder and armpit length as a kid but my mom would just shampoo roughly and blowdry, then put my hair in those big two-strand twists with the little bo-bo-bos at the end lol. This kept on until I was like 9 I think.

I got locs when I was 9 (by choice. My mom and sister was getting them so I was like "I want them too!" Mind you I had no idea that it was permanent... didnt care neither now that I look back. No regrets lol) and I had them until I was in 9th grade. I combed out my 7 year old locs instead of chopping it all off over the length of an entire summer (that was a HOT HOT mess) with a rat-tail comb (the metal end side) and that left me with a foreign head of super kinky (pure 4b/4c), APL hair. Mind you, I was new to ever handling my own hair in my whole life, loose or loc'd.

Long story short, I big chopped that off about 15 months ago due to an extreme struggle. I'm talking about struggles of all kinds. I could go into more detail, but you probably have a life to return to so just know that I did everything and anything trying to learn how to get my chronic dryness and the unsightliness (severaly style challenged) to go away and it wasnt working! lol. Another reason I bced was because detangling was taking me 5-6 hours because I had a good 4 inches of feathering/splits at the ends that would tangle so so SO bad when I washed. I was also not washing enough because I knew 5 hours of detangling and another failure was awaiting me, and I'd end up hopping into the shower with a crap load of shed hair still up in my dome (so it was matted), then using a cheap BSS BRUSH (I can ONLY use wide tooth combs!) to try to detangle the matted mess I was left with... *cringes*

When I think about all of the common sense things that I got wrong back then I get sad sometimes.

So I big chopped out of frustration when I moved and that was on August 2nd of 2015. Now my hair is about collar bone length in the back and chin length in the front (a little shorter in the crown.)

One of my biggest struggles was with moisture (the other was detangling, but I've got that down pact too! yay!). When I tell ya'll my ish was drier than I thought hair could possibly be... not even gonna go there. Just know that it was beyond terrible and it took me so long to recognize all of my hair's triggers. So anyway, lets get on with it.

The things that moisturized my hair:

Soaking! My hair cannot be washed with a shower head, it needs to be soaked and immersed in the water completely for a couple of minutes for the cuticles to open. Now that I think about it, I should have known this a long time ago because when I did that water test (where you sink a strand in water) to check my porosity the strand floated for DAYS, but when I held it under the water for a minute or two and then let it go, it sunk and the strand accepted the water. Try it and see if yours works the same. You'd be amazed at how just using water differently makes a big difference. I fill up my bath and get in, then lay back and keep my entire head under the water, massaging my scalp of dirt with my nails for seven minutes. I do it for seven minutes because 7 is a holy number (a little luck from The Most High will never hurt). Its baby soft when I'm done. I really believe prayer and cleaving unto God has helped heal my head, if not that alone.

I don't use any commercial products - shampoo or conditioner. There is nothing in my routine that takes the moisture out of my hair in the first place because my strands are never shampooed. I use a simple (and more efficient than shampoo for me) mix of 50% white vinegar (because its cheap) and 50% green tea (for shedding and alkalinity) on my SCALP ONLY by using an applicator bottle out of the bathroom. I then massage that into my scalp and let it sit for 10-30 minutes while the tub fills up. Girrrlll vinegar is bomb for a clean scalp! And cheap too. I get like a gallon for $2.00 at Weis. No fuss. I warn you lo-po people to dilute it and not use it on the length of the hair since it is acidic and it will close the cuticles. Scalp only is key.

After that I just clean in the twists as I'm soaking my hair by removing dirt with my nails. I do this weekly. My scalp is cleaner and healthier than ever (and the sebum and natural moisture remains), my shedding has gone down a lot from the tea and my hair is so so soft since there's no shampoo drying it out AND no crappy, protein-filled conditioners making it drier and brittler than hell. Both shampoos AND conditioners were a problem for me. The only answer was removing them both, because believe it or not, these coconut-oil filled, secretly aloe vera juice containing, shea butter filled conditioners were waaayy worse than sulfate shampoos for my low porosity hair! Even the protein-free ones contain either olive or coconut oil, and my hair will not tolerate those. I can only condition with real H20, thank you very much.

And lastly, my beloved leave-in! 50% water and 50% glycerin. Simple. I just apply a little before retwisting and it leaves my hair moisturized for more than a week. No touch-ups necessary.

For so long I hated that my hair was so dry, wishing for normal porosity, but now I realize that low porosity is a blessing! My hair was just trying to tell me that it doesn't need all of the extra stuff. Not even conditioner. It just wasn't accepting water in the first place. And even the leave-in that works for me now is based upon holding water to my hair (glycerin is a humectant. And for anyone wondering, I began using it in the middle of a dry, zero-humidity winter - still works AMAZING. When premixed with water, glycerin does not pull in or out an excess water in any environment or humidity. Just don't use it straight and you can use it all year round.)

For any low-porosity and frustrated people out there, stay motivated because low porosity will stay moisturized for DAAYSS when you find out what works for you. Good things takes a lot of work in the making.

(If anyone wants details on how to detangle 4b/4c hair faster and with less breakage, message me. I've been there done ALLL of that and I'll help you in a heart beat!!)

I hope this helps somebody. Have a good day!! (And again, sorry this was so long! Don't come for me! lol)
Can you post your detangle method for type 4b4c hair please?

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
I'm trying something new on my next washday and in my routine. I notice that now that my scalp isn't being dried out I need something a little stronger to wash the sebum. I actually see moisture on my scalp and new growth:amen: I saw some straight apple cider vinegar hiding in my house that im going to try and I'll use some coffee for shedding since I heard its stronger. I'm also making a coffee spritz for my eyebrows since I know caffeine works for me like crazy. I was originally using it on my eyelashes and now my eyelashes won't fall out and they're OD long . Also, it seems like I don't get fallout or breakage pieces since I started using tea in my shampoo. I think the breakage part is from moisture though. Caffeine works amazing for me. Let's see if it thickens my eyebrows :afro: the only problem I'm having currently is feeling the need to retwist... only like 11 months to go.:bangdesk:

shelli4018

Did it again this weekend. Still have to add something to my hair afterward to avoid a bit of dryness. Still, my hair was super easy to handle. Especially my ends. My hair is really soft (and happy). Think I'll stick with this for the duration of Fall/Winter. Thanks @Israellabaht !

This regimen is so simple and easy on my pockets. Wonder how much length I can retain until Spring? I really want a decent top bun for the warmer months. Pretty confident I'll get there with ease.

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
Did it again this weekend. Still have to add something to my hair afterward to avoid a bit of dryness. Still, my hair was super easy to handle. Especially my ends. My hair is really soft (and happy). Think I'll stick with this for the duration of Fall/Winter. Thanks @Israellabaht !

This regimen is so simple and easy on my pockets. Wonder how much length I can retain until Spring? I really want a decent top bun for the warmer months. Pretty confident I'll get there with ease.

I'm sitting here beaming like a proud mom lol! I'm so glad it's working for you too and that it's saving you money. that's one of my favorite things about it as well. I'm glad I was able to share this blessing with others. may the lord continue to bless you and I and may you reach your goal and retain lots of length. :amen::)

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
Okay so today was wash day again. I tried the apple cider vinegar mixed with coffee and luckily it didn't leave a scent. I had to add some white vinegar to the bottle though because I didn't have that much of the acv . the difference was I didn't use water in the mix (I would usually dilute it 50% with green tea). I just used the acv as the base for the coffee. so my scalp is cleaner and I'll get less shedding(more direct caffeine). both work fine though, my scalp was just itchy with the diluted vinegar. it's a win so far. in my next post I'll talk about what I did next because I'm getting self conscious of all these words lol

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
So I was like hmnm... I know my hair loves glycerin , but since I'm trying to go 12 months without retwisting the spray wasn't getting through the twists all that well. so I knew I needed something to moisturize it while I'm soaking it. so I dipped my twists in grape seed oil before soaking to do an oil rinse type of thing and oh boy did it work. My twists looked shiny and my usually off-black hair color with an annoying habit of looking reddish brown when it's dry looks jet black. It felt very soft too. Feeling blessed. the last step is seeing if the moisture stays for as long as when I use the glycerin out of the twists. if it does that would be a blessing because i can buy the oil on food stamps ... :look::naughtycouch: maybe the soak was the difference for me. I hope so.

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
Okay so I think I'm going to retwist and start my 12-month protective style challenge for the new year instead. I'll post here with details on January 1st. I have to tweak some things. I want to start on an easy to remember date with the knowledge I've acquired so far. also, I want a more solid set of length check photos with twists that don't look busted. see y'all then!

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
I just re-twisted so I thought I'd post pics even though I'm really shy. The front is to the top of my bottom lip when stretched. I don't really do length checks cause every time I pull on my ends a shed strand comes out :lachen::lachen::lachen: I don't know about the back or anywhere else, but my hair grows evenly all over so I figure keeping track of one place is good. I think I'll just length check by showing where my twists fall.

I'm very happy with the results, and thankful to the LORD for every strand. On that note, it took all day and I'm tired lol!

I decided not to do the no-detangling challenge (deleting that post since I'm not doing it anymore) since I couldn't get moisture in well enough without re-twisting, so I will be re-twisting monthly with only finger detangling until December 1st, 2018. I don't know if I'll wash in between the beginning and end of the month yet. I'll just watch for how my scalp and hair feels.

Wool pic from 12 2 2016.PNG Wool pic 2 from 12 2 2016.PNG

Oh, and that weird stuff on my camera is some clay from the art store that I stuck on there to keep my ipad from falling out of the case... I had to rip it out lol. I'll be updating every three months in the new year to show length progress in here, but I'll also be in the Drink Your Water Challenge and the 12 Inches in 12 Months Challenge. Oh, and in the Vitamins Challenge (I be joining way too much stuff). If anyone has questions or just wants to talk you can ask here though at any time. I always check my alerts and respond. :)

Happy hair growing! :D