Low Porosity Hair And Protein

MsSanz92

I have low porosity hair, however much of the stuff I'm seeing about low porosity says it's sensitive to protein, but I'm finding that my hair likes protein. Anyone else with low porosity hair like protein and use it regularly?

Guinan

Re-Branding
Not my hair. My hair gets protein overload very easily. The last time I had protein was about two months ago. I try to use a protein conditioner once a month but I've been slacking.

How often are you using protein? Is it a mild or hard protein? Mines is on the harder side.

Evolving78

I can't handle too much protein either. Because of the bleach and color, I use Ors mayo once a month. I should probably do it every other month.

Anaisin

Not protein sensitive but I can go without protein with no problem. I love Curl Junkie Repair me. If it was available in stores or cheaper I would use it often

MsSanz92

Not my hair. My hair gets protein overload very easily. The last time I had protein was about two months ago. I try to use a protein conditioner once a month but I've been slacking.

How often are you using protein? Is it a mild or hard protein? Mines is on the harder side.

About 1x a month. I've been using the Nexxus Emegencee Reconstructor, which is a harder protein. I've also been using Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer every week after I wash my hair. I have been having some issues with breakage, and this combination has helped a lot to reduce the breakage. I've never really had issues with using protein even when I didn't have breakage, but I don't think I'll shy away from using protein on a regular basis simply because my hair is low porosity because it seems to be working for me.

MsSanz92

I will say that I do use heat from time to time, which might account for my hair not acting adversely to protein. Obviously moisture is my main priority, but protein just doesn't seem to be the devil for my hair like many others with low porosity hair

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Every LP head is different. Because our hair doesn't rid of anything easily, you have to be careful how much you put in. I use small amounts of protein weekly in my products. No hard protein unless I need it and then, I try my best to use medium protein treatments my hair can tolerate.

I just consider myself careful with protein usage.

faithVA

I find my hair is fine with keratin protein but other types of protein cause build up which leads to dryness. I keep protein to my conditioners and not in leave in productions.

I use it every 4 to 6 weeks and every time I blow dry.

MsSanz92

Every LP head is different. Because our hair doesn't rid of anything easily, you have to be careful how much you put in. I use small amounts of protein weekly in my products. No hard protein unless I need it and then, I try my best to use medium protein treatments my hair can tolerate.

This is true; clarifying is important for low porosity hair. I clarify once a month with a sulfate shampoo, which is also when I do my protein treatment, and then follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioner under heat. This probably helps with my protein treatment penetrating fully and not building up to cause breakage on my hair. I usually shampoo once a week with a moisturizing sulfate free shampoo (one lather will get my hair clean since my shampoo suds a lot), and focus on moisturizing leave ins and styling products aside from the AphoGee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer (which I only use on wash day).

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density

This is me. I use lighter proteins like Curl Junkie Repair Me or Hairveda Acai Phyto Berry Conditioner on a weekly to bi-weekly basis, which is also moisturizing. If I don't use protein regularly my hair breaks because it is fine, in addition to being lo-po. However, if I use a strong protein, it gets really hard and breaks as well. I also shampoo my hair on a weekly basis.

Anaisin

This is me. I use lighter proteins like Curl Junkie Repair Me or Hairveda Acai Phyto Berry Conditioner on a weekly to bi-weekly basis, which is also moisturizing. If I don't use protein regularly my hair breaks because it is fine, in addition to being lo-po. However, if I use a strong protein, it gets really hard and breaks as well. I also shampoo my hair on a weekly basis.

Repair Me is a strong protein. It's very high on the ingredients list

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Repair Me is a strong protein. It's very high on the ingredients list

I don't consider it a strong protein because I don't usually need to follow it with a moisturizer and it doesn't make my hair hard. It is a reconstructor, per Curl Junkie's website. I can't use strong protein conditioners like the Aphogee 2 step or the Aubrey Organics GPB.

MsSanz92

So I tried the Profectiv Mega Growth Anti-Breakage Strengthening Deep Conditioner yesterday and I enjoyed the strength it gave my hair, although I had to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. I used the Luster Pink Shea Butter and Coconut Oil Moisturizing and Softening Conditioner afterward which helped add moisture. Since I'm not having an adverse effects from using proteins occasionally, I will continue to do so. I think because I use heat occasionally (I blowdry 2x/month before braiding my hair down for my wigs) so I need the extra protein to keep my hair healthy

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I use Nexxus Emergencee about every other week. I use a chelating shampoo prior and a moisturizing conditioner following. My hair thrives with this regimen. It doesn't really care about what else I'm doing in between. I don't use heat or tools other than my fingers unless I have my moisturizing DC on. The rest depends on what I look like in the morning.