FINALLY UPDATES ON MY 2 YEARS NAPPIVERSARY!!

jasmine26

Hi guys!!! It seems like i haven't posted in ages! I am 2 years natural this month. For some reason, it seems alot longer though! From twists, fingercoils, washngos,pressed hair and rollersets(even though, i won't be trying the last two anytime soon), i've really enjoyed exerimenting with my natural hair. I did reach 3 personal milestones this month! I did a low ponytail, got a haircut, and got married!

I know, I know, the low ponytail, for some might not mean much. But when you started with a twa somehow making your first decent ponytail is HUGE! For the first time i did not need pins or mad gel to slick the sides and the front strands back!:) (Pic is in my sig).At that point, i was at peace to get my long overdue haircut!

I did not go to nyc to one of the specialty natural salons to get my haircut, between work and the wedding, i had no time to go down. So i happen to run across this local salon that said they specialize in cutting natural curly hair. They said they do OUIDAD cuts, i wasn't too familiar with that cut. I was going to just keep it moving cuz i thought they(non-black) salon was not talking about my hair type. But at the last minute i saw one black stylist in there with a nice haircut who had hair like mine. So i quickly made an appt with her for a haircut later that evening.

When i returned, my hair was completely dry in a ponytail and when she took it out, i was even shocked my hair was that HUGE!! I've really only dusted my hair for splits in the whole 2 years Surprisingly, she said my hair wasn't in bad shape at all. It just needed to be "debulked" and reshaped. She said that my hair will fall better once i get rid of some of the massive volume. She explained the whole ouidad cut which involved carving and slicing all throughout my hair. I figured she knew what she was doing and told her to just cut away(yeah, bad choice of words!) but to keep at least most of my length. That she did, i think she trimmed 1" all around.

Well, the pros of this haircut, she cut it wet in it's natural texture. And it feels so much lighter. And i like the shape! And i preserved most of my length. I can still do a low ponytail, yay.(see middle pic for haircut, below)

The cons: I kinda miss my volume and bulk! She cut alot of hair from the crown of my hair. My hair is now very uneven! There are like 3-4"strands in some areas:( And detangling has become more troublesome! I still fingercomb but my hair tangles and feels matted all the time. And i don't know what i'm going to do for the winter, because that is twist season for me:( Well, i think i'm going to let my hair grow out and have a corrective(even) cut next summer. Well, you live and learn, and now i understand what SO1913 means by paying extra for a haircut to have the peace of mind that your hair will come out right!

and last, i got married in jamaica. I did wear my hair in cornrows in the front and did wash n gos before and after my wedding. After my haircut, my hair wasn't acting right, and i didn't want to risk experimenting with my hair for my wedding. so i had the salon straighten it for the day and do an updo with real flowers pinned on top. the back is a human hair piece that she curled and pinned up. (see pic below)

soorrrry for the long post, yall:) jasmine. i have more pics and updates in my album:)

ekomba

jasmine26 said:
Hi guys!!! It seems like i haven't posted in ages! I am 2 years natural this month. For some reason, it seems alot longer though! From twists, fingercoils, washngos,pressed hair and rollersets(even though, i won't be trying the last two anytime soon), i've really enjoyed exerimenting with my natural hair. I did reach 3 personal milestones this month! I did a low ponytail, got a haircut, and got married!

I know, I know, the low ponytail, for some might not mean much. But when you started with a twa somehow making your first decent ponytail is HUGE! For the first time i did not need pins or mad gel to slick the sides and the front strands back!:) (Pic is in my sig).At that point, i was at peace to get my long overdue haircut!

I did not go to nyc to one of the specialty natural salons to get my haircut, between work and the wedding, i had no time to go down. So i happen to run across this local salon that said they specialize in cutting natural curly hair. They said they do OUIDAD cuts, i wasn't too familiar with that cut. I was going to just keep it moving cuz i thought they(non-black) salon was not talking about my hair type. But at the last minute i saw one black stylist in there with a nice haircut who had hair like mine. So i quickly made an appt with her for a haircut later that evening.

When i returned, my hair was completely dry in a ponytail and when she took it out, i was even shocked my hair was that HUGE!! I've really only dusted my hair for splits in the whole 2 years Surprisingly, she said my hair wasn't in bad shape at all. It just needed to be "debulked" and reshaped. She said that my hair will fall better once i get rid of some of the massive volume. She explained the whole ouidad cut which involved carving and slicing all throughout my hair. I figured she knew what she was doing and told her to just cut away(yeah, bad choice of words!) but to keep at least most of my length. That she did, i think she trimmed 1" all around.

Well, the pros of this haircut, she cut it wet in it's natural texture. And it feels so much lighter. And i like the shape! And i preserved most of my length. I can still do a low ponytail, yay.(see middle pic for haircut, below)

The cons: I kinda miss my volume and bulk! She cut alot of hair from the crown of my hair. My hair is now very uneven! There are like 3-4"strands in some areas:( And detangling has become more troublesome! I still fingercomb but my hair tangles and feels matted all the time. And i don't know what i'm going to do for the winter, because that is twist season for me:( Well, i think i'm going to let my hair grow out and have a corrective(even) cut next summer. Well, you live and learn, and now i understand what SO1913 means by paying extra for a haircut to have the peace of mind that your hair will come out right!

and last, i got married in jamaica. I did wear my hair in cornrows in the front and did wash n gos before and after my wedding. After my haircut, my hair wasn't acting right, and i didn't want to risk experimenting with my hair for my wedding. so i had the salon straighten it for the day and do an updo with real flowers pinned on top. the back is a human hair piece that she curled and pinned up. (see pic below)

soorrrry for the long post, yall:) jasmine. i have more pics and updates in my album:)

wowwwwwwwwwwwwww :eek: ou-la-la !!!!! Jasmine Jasmine girl u look niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice in your wedding gown. Congratulations for your 3 milestones and your hair is sooooooooooo pretty it has grown its long!:D :) :p i was scared at first when you mentioned cut :( but i looooooooooooooove the low ponytail you still have lots of hair girl!!!!!!! Enjoy your new married life the pix is lovely!;) :p :D

Radianthealth

Your hair is beautiful! Your wedding photos are beautifual also!!! Good Luck with your Marriage!

I am also a newly wed:D :D :D

remnant

Congratulation for your wedding jasmine26, don't worry for your hair it will come back full, you can try cornrows or box braids for you protectives styles I'm in the hide challenge from september til end of december i'll do box braids with extensions, you can join us and hide your hair with any protective style and by christmas you'll recover the fullness of your hair.

princcessnadia

What a beautiful bride!! congradulations on your wedding and many blessings, your natural hair style is very pretty keep up the good work!!

Mizani_Mrs

Congrats girl on your 3 successes! I am loving the new haircut! It looks like she cut it so it has a nice shape and you can wear your hair out without alot of fuss..it looks very pretty. And congrats on the marriage! You both look gorgeous in the wedding pic. I'm a newlywed myself...I got 4months under my belt! ;-) It's exciting isn't it!!!

tropicexotic

free @ last
Congrats on your nappiversary, getting married and achieving the low-pony...it looks fierce! I wish you the best w/ everything!!

wadadligyal

Congratulations on your wedding!!!!!!! Your hair is beautiful girl the cut is lovely and you know it'll grow back in no time no need to worry.

Cheleigh

Yippee! :)

Congratulations first on your marriage. Many years of joy and happiness in this new phase of your life.

Second, your hair is absolutely beautiful. My dream is to be able to wear a low ponytail. I'm hoping that by next March (two years relaxer free), I can do it too.

Lastly, I understand what you mean with the problems with Ouidad. I know that her cutting style is carve and slice. From other naturals, it's cool if you're always wearing your hair out, but if you plan on wearing protective styles, the cuts shows to be problematic. But, the upside is that your hair looks FIERCE with the cut, and I'm sure it will grow out fine.

jasmine26

Hey thanks guys for the compliments and the words of encouragement!! I have to admit i'm really upset about the unevenness of the cut. But i hope from my post, others will RUN when a stylist mentions "carving and slicing".

Soun, i think i might do extensions until next spring/summer. I really wanted to stay away from them but i guess i'm going to have to because i don't think any protective styles will look decent with my cut:(

ekomba, your hair and growth is amazing! You are seriously approaching bsl fast! i might have to look into what your doing to speed up this growing out process.

for the other newlyweds on this board , my blessings also and congrats!! I still can't believe i'm married! but anyway, THANKS again, ladies!!!!

jasmine:)

ekomba

jasmine26 said:
Hey thanks guys for the compliments and the words of encouragement!! I have to admit i'm really upset about the unevenness of the cut. But i hope from my post, others will RUN when a stylist mentions "carving and slicing".

Soun, i think i might do extensions until next spring/summer. I really wanted to stay away from them but i guess i'm going to have to because i don't think any protective styles will look decent with my cut:(

ekomba, your hair and growth is amazing! You are seriously approaching bsl fast! i might have to look into what your doing to speed up this growing out process.

for the other newlyweds on this board , my blessings also and congrats!! I still can't believe i'm married! but anyway, THANKS again, ladies!!!!

jasmine:)

Hey Jasmine dont worry the hair still look fierce with the cut! but i hear you about the unneveness. You gonna do extensions till next spring /summer that s cool too i m planning to weave it up and cornrow till next spring/summer too. i m getting my weave done in september

lol at "carving and slicing":lol: :grin: :lachen: for one reason when i hear that i just think about meat being carved and sliced:eek: lol it makes me scared to get a hair cut:lachen: even though i dont understand the entire expression lol:lol: but i still loooove the cut! Girl just baby it throughout the winter and you ll get it back in no time!!!!!;) :) :D

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Congrats!!! Did you ever get the email I sent you a while back?

jasmine26

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Congrats!!! Did you ever get the email I sent you a while back?

thanks bubln, i did get your email! Your tips helped me alot in deciding what to do to my hair over there!

so1913

you look absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Wow!!! Congratulations on the wedding and I wish you a blessed and happy marriage.

I think your hair came out great! I'm sure you notice that your hair is curling up a lot more and tighter with the removal of old ends and you've noticed a lot more "shrinkage". That can also be what is causing more tangling than you are used to. The Quidad cutting method is similar to the method Miss Jessie's uses as far as layering the hair, however the Quidad focuses more on"thinning" and debulking than Miss Jessies (I think they explain the difference on the website). Miss Jessie's also blows it straight for accuracy to ensure the eveness of the layers and to make sure the cut is balanced. My hair has A LOT of layers too. My first cut a lot was taken off the crown, even more because of some of the damage I had. I wasn't extremely "fond" of it AT FIRST because it was sooo much shorter, I couldn't do my low puffs like I used to and just had to learn how to work with the new layers and lengths, but now I LOVE how the hair falls with all the layers and the look it gives. You are used to having your hair even with more length, so I can understand the "change" not being as exciting as you had hoped, it wasn't for me either, lol! It may just grow on you after some time ;) Now, I can't imagine having my hair one length anymore because I love how the layers give it a modern look and styles and I know when the length comes I'm going to have so much fun with it!

Anyway, be assured that your hair still looks GREAT!!!! And the wonderful thing is that it grows (and yours FAST!) so you will easily be able to grow it out and do what you need to to be happy with it :)

ETA: I'm looking through the new pics now and must say I'm LOVING the shape! It really does look great Jasmine :)

Last edited:

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Your wedding pic is beautiful! The good thing about bad haircuts is that eventually they grow out (that's a shame though, I woulda had to beat somebody down :mad: )

Congrats on your marriage and your nappiversary :)

SparklingFlame

AAAAWWWWW! You looked so beautiful!!! :rosebud: Congrats! :dance7:

I dont quite understand the method of the haircut the stylist gave you. I would have been scared! It loos good and I'm sorry you had a few disappointments with it. Itll grow back! Now...off to stalk your album!