Fine hair and moisture w/body??

tarheelgurl

This is the one thing I can't seem to find a balance with. After washing and setting I have body but the first day I moisturize my fine hair my hair goes flat and loses all of its body. Even if I use a little bit it still goes flat.

What do you all use to keep body but also keep moisture?

For moisture: I mix humectress with jojoba oil. I'm relaxed and have fine strands.

Any suggestions?
TIA!

FluffyRed

I can't cowash/wash that often cause I tangle so badly. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

I apply condish like a relaxer, let it sit for a while and rinse it through under the shower. No tangles.

Also, have you tried putting your hair into two braids when you do need to shampoo so you can scrub the scalp and not tangle the ends?

HTH

tarheelgurl

I apply condish like a relaxer, let it sit for a while and rinse it through under the shower. No tangles.

Also, have you tried putting your hair into two braids when you do need to shampoo so you can scrub the scalp and not tangle the ends?

HTH

I will try this. Maybe I need to find another conditioner. I like the humectress though. I dunno. But I will try the braided thing. When you put the conditioner on is your hair wet or dry?

LaidBak

Aloe based moisturizers or moisturizers with a gel/cream consistency. I have used and like:
-Afroveda's Miss Bhree
-Rusk Sensories Smoother
-Ellin Lavar Deep penetrating balm
-Karen's Body Beautiful Super Silky

I too have fine hair and can't stand having it weighed down. HTH

tarheelgurl

Thanks Laidbak....please don't turn my inner PJ loose! Does clarifying make a difference? I don't generally like to since my hair is so fine and don't want to dry it out.

LaidBak

Thanks Laidbak....please don't turn my inner PJ loose! Does clarifying make a difference? I don't generally like to since my hair is so fine and don't want to dry it out.

Personally I don't clarify on a regular basis. The first time I did it just to experiment and HATED the result (dry, crispy hair). The second time I did it to remove a temp hair color I didn't like. And that time I mixed olive oil in my shampoo. That took care of the dryness. But truthfully I don't need clarification because those moisturizers I use don't leave build up.

FluffyRed

I will try this. Maybe I need to find another conditioner. I like the humectress though. I dunno. But I will try the braided thing. When you put the conditioner on is your hair wet or dry?

it can be dry, or you can mix a little water in with the condish, if that makes you more comfortable.

i think condishes have water in them

FluffyRed

you can clarify with baking soda in water and it doesn't dry you out.

I use it after rinsing out the condish :yep:

tarheelgurl

Well Thanks ladies.....I need to try something different I guess. I don't mind my old reliables but I hate it when I lose all body and my hair goes flat. I will experiment and let y'all know what happens. Thanks again for your responses.

sqzbly1908

Hi Friend!

I don't use moisturizers for this very same reason -

I get my moisture from my conditioners...I like using AO HSR or AO GPB on dry hair overnight and then washing in the morning with Kenra MS and Kenra MC...I am also a rollersetter as this is the only style I know how to do...which also give my hair alot of body...

soulie

Clarifying can make a HUGE difference. If your hair has build-up, that build-up will block out moisturizers/oils that should be getting absorbed. They will just sit on top. Clarifying doesn't dry out my fine hair; maybe because I do it as a first step. I don't clarify frequently, but when I do, it is on a DC day; so my hair isn't stripped, it's just more "receptive" to the conditioner.

Aggie

I discovered something about my fine hair. I tried a few creamy leave-ins and realized that they only work if I am protective styling my hair under a wig or something like that. I also found that when i wanted to rollerset and keep the bounce for a few days afterwards that lighter sprays worked better, for example, Kenra Daily Provision leave in spray that doubles as a daily moisturizer worked perfectly. I got moisture without my hair getting weighed down as the spray is quite light. Another one you could try is Joico k-pak Reconstruct leave in treatment in a spray - also very light for fien hair.

Creams and butters weigh down my fine hair so I only use them in a hair hiding type protective style and use you would for baggying my ends as well.

Cleve_gryl

I find that if I moisturize every day, by the 3rd day my hair will be oily, flat and stuck to my scalp :nono:. I lightly moisturize and seal every other night and this seems to help me preserve my bounce.

joyous

Hi Friend!

I don't use moisturizers for this very same reason -

I get my moisture from my conditioners...

This is what I do also. I just make sure I use a conditioner with lots of moisture and put on a satin cap/scarf at night to retain the moisture. When my hair feels dry again I know it wash time.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I don't moisturize when I wear my hair down for that same reason. Also when you clarify wash again witha moisturizing poo that way your hair its hard and dry.

natstar

I don't know if this will work for you cause im natural but for the past week ive been using a spray mixture of V05, water and a lit oil (almond oil), then I seal with a light oil. In the a.m. my hair is soft but not weighed down.

ceebee3

I had this problem as well and I stopped using creamy leave ins when wearing my hair down and straight. I use a spray moisturizer and a light dose of coconut oil and it keeps my hair moisturized without weighing it down.

Also, I don't wrap the hair when I want to keep the body and volume, that also made the hair flat and boring. I just pincurl at night and that keeps my hair looking full the next day.

Wildkat08

I had this problem as well and I stopped using creamy leave ins when wearing my hair down and straight. I use a spray moisturizer and a light dose of coconut oil and it keeps my hair moisturized without weighing it down.

Also, I don't wrap the hair when I want to keep the body and volume, that also made the hair flat and boring. I just pincurl at night and that keeps my hair looking full the next day.

How many pin curls do u use? U pin curl instead of wrapping at night even if u want a straight smooth look with no curl? This sounds like it could be a solution for the "hat-head" look wrapping tends to give my hair when wearing straight

Kacie

IA with the other ladies. If you're wearing your hair down use a light spray moisturizer, I like plain rosewater, and maybe a dot of coconut oil for your entire head.

tarheelgurl

Ok ladies....you all have given some really good advice. I will try pin curling and also clarify. I have also decided that I will try cowashing/washing a little more frequently for a month. I have been wearing my hair down and would like for it to maintain the body. When I wear it up, I don't care if it has body or not. Thanks again for all the advice! keep the pointers coming!

pink gator

I've also found that wet wrapping/rollersetting and blowdrying (on low heat) after the hair is 90% dry with a good serum (I like PM Skinny Serum) leaves lots of shine and body.

ceebee3

How many pin curls do u use? U pin curl instead of wrapping at night even if u want a straight smooth look with no curl? This sounds like it could be a solution for the "hat-head" look wrapping tends to give my hair when wearing straight

I do 4 big ones, but I don't make them too tight. I really just part into 4 sections and pin the hair under. My hair is straight with a slight bend at the end.

Honey01

Clarifying can make a HUGE difference. If your hair has build-up, that build-up will block out moisturizers/oils that should be getting absorbed. They will just sit on top. Clarifying doesn't dry out my fine hair; maybe because I do it as a first step. I don't clarify frequently, but when I do, it is on a DC day; so my hair isn't stripped, it's just more "receptive" to the conditioner.

I agree. I clarified my hair (I just use Pantene Pure) and my hair was so shiny afterwards.

Of course I conditioned well afterwards.

OP, I feel your pain though. I too have fine hair and am ALWAYS on the search for a (1) light moisturizer that will (2) allow me to keep some body.

I recently purchased Carol's Daughter Healthy Butter. Hated it. Will be returning it back to Macy's.

Of late, I have been skipping the styling moisturizers for the first couple of days right after shampooing. I am relying on my leave-in's to give me adequate moisture. To do this, I upped the amount used going from my usual nickel size, to quarter size. Still, my hair only has body/swing for a good two days.

The two days leading up to wash day, I will moisturize though. Those two days I am wearing a ponytail or hair up in banana clip.

I have been using a few things:
Phyto's Daily Nourishing Botanical Cream (#7). This weekend I purchased #9 (Ultra Nourishing). I really like #7. It is pretty light. I will see how #9 works. Just because I have the box near by, I will list the ingredients.

Kiehl's Silk Groom. I just realized I need use this sparingly (duh)as it contains amino acids (protein).