Protein and Products for Fine Hair?

caribbeancurly

I read somewhere that people with fine hair need protein rather than extra moisture.

While transitioning, I cowash my hair everyday and use a leave-in conditioner and non silicone gel (KCCC), sometimes I seal with an oil like olive oil or jojoba oil. My assumption was that my hair needed more moisture and it was beginning to soften.

Yet lately my hair feels dry :perplexed. For the fine heads out there, have protein products worked for you, and if so, which ones? How can I keep my hair both moisturized and growing?

CaliDiamond

Protein products that worked for me are as follows:

Aphogee 2 min (Med Protein)
Star Wheat Germ Leave in (Light)
Aphogee Green tea Reconstructor (med protein)

I find that because my hair snaps like a twig (even after deep moisturizing conditioner) when I use HEAVY protein ..so I don't use.

*Muffin*

Good question. I have fine strands/dense hair, and it's a struggle trying to maintain the strength of my strands and combating breakage, especially since I'm protein sensitive. Personally, I think strengthening treatments are very necessary for those with fine strands, since our strands are more prone to breakage since they are thinner. Since I'm protein sensitive I have to use light proteins, and it's been a struggle finding ones that my hair likes, but I get the least negative reactions with AOGPB mixed with honey and certain oils and Giovanni Nutrafix reconstructor mixed the same way.

P.S. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most fine haired ladies do better with lighter protein treatments as opposed to hardcore ones.

Tif392002

I have fine strands and i use the Aphogee 2 min, and the
Aphogee pro vitamin leave in/ <<<< i loves this stuff and definitly will keep it as a staple... i use it after washes which is about 1-2 a month. or after cowashes which i do about 2-3 times a week. my hair is always feeling strong

yes, i believe that as well, that fine hair needs the lite protien. cuz i tried the 2 step aphogee treatment and i know for a fact that was too strong for my hair.

Last edited:

beans4reezy

I am a fine haired lady myself and my strands are stronger because I incorporate a light protein into my reggie every week. I do give myself stronger protien- but this is as needed, not on a schedule or anything. I use:

Aphogee 2 min (weekly)
ORS Mayo (weekly, when I am out of Aphogee)
Aphogee 2 step (as needed)

me-T

i'm protein sensitive, and could go a looooooooong time without it, but i like
aphogee 2 minute
organics hair mayonnaise
silk elements intense conditioning mayonnaise
and 1 other one i'm forgetting

Honey Bee

I'm going through a set-back right now because I didn't realize how much I needed a light protein. To me, that's the aphogee 2 min. I was using it every time I cowashed (2x/wk), but I ran out and didn't repurchase. I kinda half-way looked for it at a few BSS's, but when I didn't find it, I didn't really go out of my way. I also was feeling like, hey, maybe I'm doing too much, I should be keeping it simple. That went on for maybe 6 wks, and now my hair is shedding like crazy (entire strands), and I have more breakage than I'd like (way more than one or two every once in a while, my norm). I'm scared to touch it or wear it down.

I bought two bottles this week, once I finally found it again, slathered it on as a pre-poo and sat under the heat cap for 5 min. I'm getting back on my twice a week, with a really good dc or Wen reggie. At this point, I'm just hoping for the best. I'm even tempted to end my transition and relax all the way, but I really don't want to (it's been 10 months).

Sorry to write so much, but I figured this might help somebody or keep them from messing up and losing progress like I did. :sad:

eta: I'm a fine, medium density 4a/b. For some reason, I thought that was in my siggy, lol.

Last edited:

*Frisky*

I have fine hair and I used Dudley's DRC 28 this weekend and it is the best protein treatment I have ever used. I think it's more important for relaxed hair. I notice how my hair is in much better condition after a good protein treatment and DC. Finding a good time line to incorporate them in your regimen is a must because protein overload is not a good thing.

YankeeCandle

Fine-strands here, too.

I'm just confused and scarred from my own hair care experiments over the past several months. I tried light proteins (Emergencee; Joico K-Pak) like 1-2x a month for a few months and either that or the moisture DC'ing (I don't know which 'cause it was all new to me) created a huge "setback"--hair breaking off with audible "snap, crackle, and pop" for several weeks straight in addition to my lifelong super-shedding. :nono:

Now I stay away from protein entirely just in case, but I HATE having such fine strands that can't hold up to even the gentlest wide tooth-combing in wet hair, to say nothing of manipulation into protective styles.

I want to strengthen them somehow, but am afraid to touch protein again. :ohwell:

mzsophisticated26

my hair is so weird, it will shed like crazy when I occasionally use a mild protein like Joico reconstruct in the tall bottle. I have never done a hard core protein on myself. If I use protein leave ins and serums then my hair loves it. I incorporate protein on a weekly basis whether it be conditioner or leave into make sure I have that balance.

Products I love:
Joico K pak reconstruct cond( every other week)
CHI keratin mist weekly
Organix coconut milk anti breakage serum (2-3 times a wk)

caribbeancurly

Thank you to everyone who is posting their products.

But a quick question- a lot of you are saying you only do the protein treatments when needed. How do you know when it's necessary? When your gets dry, when it snaps and breaks, etc?

me-T

i have no idea when i need it lol. i'm still trying to figure that out. i go for a long while w/out protein, then start wondering if maybe i need it (usually i still don't lol)

Iluvsmuhgrass

I use MNT conditioner, hennagloss treatments every now and again (like once a month or so, more for the color but my hair responds well), and nexxus emergencee. I think the important thing is to find out what your hair likes. I jumped on the aphogee bandwagon as a relaxed head and my hair HATED it so bad. Anything with aphogee on it, my hair gave the finger. My stylist used Dudley DRC on my relaxed hair and it worked well (but I couldn't remember which moisturizing co she followed with.)

I think the best protein that my hair responded to was an egg mixed with a conditioner (Silk Elements moisturizing co.) It was strong and soft and I had virtually NO breakage. Experimentation, finding out what works for your hair, and good note taking are important. I can't tell you how many times I did something my hair hated and as months passed I forgot and did it again. :(

me-T

...good note taking are important. I can't tell you how many times I did something my hair hated and as months passed I forgot and did it again. :(

pay attention all you newbies! (yeah i see you lurking:lachen:) this is why it's important to have a hair blog/fotki!

gn1g

Hard protein is a BIG NO NO for me. I usually stick to Duo Tex or Ors Reconstructor. I try to use Apoghee 2 min and it takes congress to get my moisture level back to normal.

*Muffin*

i have no idea when i need it lol. i'm still trying to figure that out. i go for a long while w/out protein, then start wondering if maybe i need it (usually i still don't lol)

I think that the women who say "as needed" have learned from experience the signs their hair exhibits when in need of protein. For me, my hair seems lank and doesn't do what I want it to do. Also if, it makes any sense, it seems even finer than normal when I'm in need of a protein treatment, and gets kinda tangly. If further neglected will breakage ensue. It definitely requires paying attention to your hair so that you can recognize the signs before the breakage starts.

Last edited:

*Muffin*

my hair acts stupid once a week...maybe i need light protein once a week?

:lachen: Some people do need protein once a week. There was actually a thread called the protein lovers thread, and it was for people who's hair needed light protein every week. AOGPB is a good light protein treatment that most ladies seem to like, and oils like Avocado Oil and Wheat Germ Oil also contain a bit of protein. It is better to use unrefined avocado oil instead of refined avocado oil if you want the benefits of the protein, though. Yogurt is also a source of light protein you could add into your regular DC.

bless57

I read somewhere that people with fine hair need protein rather than extra moisture.

While transitioning, I cowash my hair everyday and use a leave-in conditioner and non silicone gel (KCCC), sometimes I seal with an oil like olive oil or jojoba oil. My assumption was that my hair needed more moisture and it was beginning to soften.

Yet lately my hair feels dry :perplexed. For the fine heads out there, have protein products worked for you, and if so, which ones? How can I keep my hair both moisturized and growing?
I use yogurt and braggs amino acids with a little avocado oil. They work wonders for my protein. I am also creating a protein conditioner but this is what I am using for now. I leave it on for 30 minutes under the dryer. My hair loves it. This is the only protein that works for me. I had to change my daily moisturizing to every other day because it was too much and when I cowash I only deep condition for 15 min. This had help my hair revamp.

bless57

But a quick question- a lot of you are saying you only do the protein treatments when needed. How do you know when it's necessary? When your gets dry, when it snaps and breaks, etc?

when you hair is mushy you know you need protein. when you hair snaps and break it is usually you need more moisture. At least that is how I tell with my hair.

Aviah

I used to like the way plain yoghurt did me with protein and moisture. Coconut milk, honey and oil is somewhat of a second choice for me, or mayo and coconut oil. I may have to get back on that as my hair has a LOT of splits recently and before I put my twists in, there was more hair in the comb than normal. Moisture seems to be a bigger deal for me than protein, but protein should help it hold moisture better...

Tif392002

girl, thats hard to explain u just have to KNOW your hair... like i use the lite protien treatments whn my hair feels a little bit too soft, not necessarily (sp) when its breaking, cuz i really dont have any breakage now that im natural and neva use heat or blow dryers.... but if it feels dry i step back from the protien and use a moisurzing product like Giovanni direct leavin or The Conditoner by paul mitchell... to balance it... its a tricky thing to learn. protien/moisture blah blah blah.:spinning:

Lucky's Mom

I was having some seriously mush issues with my fine hair... Out of sheer desparation - I used Aphogee 2 step protien treatment.....And now - my hair is like spun gold.

I never did it before..... in the 11 years I have been natural..... But I will do this now - as needed... which is probably about every 6 months.