Fine Haired Ladies - Chime In?????

Baby Girl

Has any fine haired ladies got a sew in, do you recommend? Any advice would be helpful. I am trying to grow my hair out longer.

Rain20

Maybe use a net if you really want a sew in, it might help. Make sure the braider and person sewing dont do it too tight. Take care of your hair underneath. Taking breaks and conditioning/using a reconstructor to strenghthen the hair in between installs may help as well. They did thin my hair out over time. It didnt happen with one sew in.

SimplyBlessed

IF u get a sew in please do not make the mistake I did for about 2 yrs and not take care of ur hair under the sew in...

My hair got very very thin and my edges are almost gone...

Be careful when using heat to blend in ur natural hair and the weave if your getting straight hair...

and do not let the person doing ur hair braid ur hair tight or braid ur baby hair in...

and one last thing if this is going to be an on going process....please let ur hair rest after each sew in...

good luck...hth

dede1129

I have worn sew ins for 8 years and finally stopped because it made my already fine hair soooo thin and I am just now getting my fullness back by going natural and taking care of my hair.

simcha

I can't tie up anything in my hair - even my ponytails have to be loose. Otherwise, I end up with breakage.

Uber

Great thread. I was considering weaves but you ladies have helped me make my mind up. Although I was sure a good braider who can handles hair real gentle would be ok.

In fact I thought self installs would solve the thinning issues

mzsophisticated26

I was wearing net weave sew ins but I stopped because my thin hair could not take the stress especially around the edges and my stylist made sure to leave the edges out and not braid tight. I agree with the other ladies, if you want to try make sure it's a net weave and make sure the stylist does not braid too tight and try to choose a hair texture where u would not have to apply heat to the leave out portion if you are not getting a full sew in

PPGbubbles

I have fine hair and I have had plenty of successful weave installs

1) I do not braid tight nor do I add fake hair to the braid

2) I keep my hair mositurized while in the weave

3) I treat my hair like fine silk during take down

My hair is currently the thickest it has ever been! I say do it just take care of your hair and you should be fine

Baby Girl

Thanks ladies I value all of your responses and I think I will stick with the phony ponies. I just want my hair to hurry up and grow.

NappiShawti

i read that if u add fake (bulk not wefted) hair 2 the braid foundation that will minimize the stress of the thread & needle on your own hair. i have thin hair too & have been wondering the same thing.

would like to get a net + the hair added 2 my foundation but idk if thats too much?

Tif392002

Maybe use a net if you really want a sew in, it might help. Make sure the braider and person sewing dont do it too tight. Take care of your hair underneath. Taking breaks and conditioning/using a reconstructor to strenghthen the hair in between installs may help as well. They did thin my hair out over time. It didnt happen with one sew in.

youre right, it didnt happen with one sew in.... mines thinned out over a period of about 18 months.

CoffeeBean

I did this 10 years ago. I didn't have a professional do it however. My good girlfriend "hooked me up". I had a smooth ball spot in the middle of my head that was as soft as a baby's bottom. It has finally grown back with much TLC but the texture is more course.

Go to a professional and stress that you don't want your sew-in tight.
Also have you experimented with the half wigs? I used those when growing back my hair and they really did wonders. Just my :twocents:

peachykeen

Yeah, I am glad you started this thread. I have fine hair also and I find a lot of the advice about weaves and braids just dont work for me. I have had it all, cornrows, micros and a weave and it didnt do well on my head or hair at all. As a matter of fact my scalp really hated it more than my hair because I didnt leave it that long. Some of my braided styles came out within days.