Fine haired ladies + Hair Steamers

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I'm contemplating getting a steamer but with the mixed reviews I`m hesitant. Especially because I don`t want this big contraption taking up space and creating visual clutter. I don't like overnight DC's and I don't use heat with my DC's. I`m wondering if among those who love their steamers do you have fine hair?

Imani

I have fine hair and steaming had done wonders for my hair. I have fine porous 4b strands. My hair did good w/steaming both relaxed and natural.

Bnster

Bumping for you. Responding even though I don't have a steamer and I consider my hair fine. I always thought steamers are good for all types. I eventually will purchase a steamer, so I am interested in this too.

ETA: I see Imani responded, thanks! How long have you been using a steamer?

Last edited:

Imani

Bumping for you. Responding even though I don't have a steamer and I consider my hair fine. I always thought steamers are good for all types. I eventually will purchase a steamer, so I am interested in this too.

ETA: I see @Imani responded, thanks! How long have you been using a steamer?

I started getting occasional steam treatments at the salon as a relaxed head back around 07/08. I started transitioning in 09 and have been steaming weekly/bi-weekly ever since. I have one at home now.

Honey Bee

Nix08, I'm curious about this too. I'm relaxed and have fine strands, I'm actually scared to do an overnight dc for fear of mushiness. I'd be willing to steam with some protein, though... any other fine-haired ladies doing this?

MizzCoco

I have the small Huetiful steamer, and have been steaming once a week for the past few months. I have fine hair, and I love it. Im transitioning, and about 8 months post. Both textures love it, I never have mushy hair, just soft moisturized strands. Ive never tried steaming in a protein conditioner, I always use moisture, like Banana Brulee or AOHSR

Imani

I steam with conditioners who's main objective is moisturizing, however they usu also have a small amount of protein in them. My hair doesn't do well with conditioners that are strictly/mostly protein based.

morehairplease

Great thread OP/ladies. I have fine, porous hair and have wanted a table top steamer for quite some time now. Lately, I have been doing overnight deep conditioning and would prefer the convenience of a steamer.

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Thank you so much for the responses ladies!! Honey Bee I don't do the overnight DC's due to mushiness that's why I've been on the fence regarding the steamer.
Imani and Bnster for bumping I didn't think I'd get any responses.
And best off all it seems like I have a good excuse to buy something new for my hair:grin:

LushLox

Steam DCs have been great for my hair. My hair was so thin and see through at the start of my HHJ, it will always been fine but it has done a complete turn around, now. I will always have steam in my regimen. :yep:

PPGbubbles

This has been the greatest addition to my journey. I have fine porous hair so it doesnt take long for my hair to soak up a DC

I steam for about 15 mins tops and move along. And steaming make detangling a breeze for me!
*note* I cannot steam with loose hair, for me loose hair=tangles. I put my hair into 6 plats to steam.

I have sitting with a DC for hours... its pure torture.

Bnster

How many of you ladies plat your hair or keep it loose when steaming and how long do you steam for? When I DC I leave my hair in plats, so I don't get tangles.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I have fine hair and steam weekly. Steaming has been nothing short of wonderful for my hair.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
How many of you ladies plat your hair or keep it loose when steaming and how long do you steam for? When I DC I leave my hair in plats, so I don't get tangles.

I keep my hair in chunky twists or plaits while I steam (also to avoid tangles) :yep:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Well that settles it....I'm on the hunt for a steamer...any suggestions on what to look for? I know that I don't want a table top.

Imani

I'm natural so I steam in big twists to keep my hair from retangling. Sometimes I have to clamp the twists into place with a plastic clamp bc the twists wont' stay.

I usually do about 40 minutes

LushLox

I always pin my hair up loosely on top of my head so that my ends get full benefit of the steam. I used to keep my hair down but found that my ends weren't getting as much steam as they could.

Britt

@Nix08, I'm curious about this too. I'm relaxed and have fine strands, I'm actually scared to do an overnight dc for fear of mushiness. I'd be willing to steam with some protein, though... any other fine-haired ladies doing this?

Honey Bee, I've steamed w/ Nexus Emergencee at the salon once and I really liked it. I'll prob get a steam treatment at the salon this wknd using one of my moisturizing conditioners.

Honey Bee

Brittster, thank you, girl. Your hair is beautiful, I know you already on it! When you steamed with Emergencee, did you notice any additional strengthening properties (or was it just plain ol' Emergencee and some steam)?

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I have fine natural hair and I love steaming. I usually do it for 30 mins either with a moisturizing DC or a protein about once a week. I also henna with my steamer and I get good color transfer without having to keep it in Forever. I got my steamer from SalonsRUs the upright one.

sqzbly1908

I have ridiculously fine relaxed hair....I have done all of the above (steamed / dc overnight with both moisturizing and protein conditioners) with no ill effects - My hair has really thrived from it - I try to steam at least once a week (as time permits) if I had the time I would steam my hair 2-3 times a week.

Steaming has really helped with retaining moisture as I am in Houston (humid as h***) and my hair doesn't frizz up like it normally does when I step outside - I also use it on my DD's hair (natural) and it has been a real benefit to her hair as well. I have the stand up steamer but I am really considering purchasing the table top one for the times I am doing my DD's hair and mine at the same time....

I don't think that getting a steamer is a necessity as I know that my hair would still thrive without it but it doesn't hurt to enjoy the benefits it provides....

Britt

@Brittster, thank you, girl. Your hair is beautiful, I know you already on it! When you steamed with Emergencee, did you notice any additional strengthening properties (or was it just plain ol' Emergencee and some steam)?

Honey Bee, I actually think it penetrated much better. I was a bit skeptical and thought it would be just some emergencee and some steam, but I think the emergencee was a good treatment to use under the steamer. My hair felt extra pliable and soft afterwards. If I had the space, I'd w/o a doubt invest in a steamer.

Bnster

I have fine natural hair and I love steaming. I usually do it for 30 mins either with a moisturizing DC or a protein about once a week. I also henna with my steamer and I get good color transfer without having to keep it in Forever. I got my steamer from SalonsRUs the upright one.

Wow thanks for this tip StephElise good to know for the future.