Fine-Haired Ladies:No Moisturizer?

newsgrl

Here's my question: Are there any of you fine-haired ladies that DO NOT use moisturizer, for fear it will weigh down your hair and/or ruin the style, and still see progress?

I talked to a lady at church Sunday who has a beautiful chin length bob. She is relaxed and it is always beautiful (and it is her hair...no extensions). Since the texture of her hair is similar to mine, I asked her what moisturizer does she use on her tresses. She said, "Nothing because it weighs down my hair. I just get it washed and conditioned each week." She did mention that when she thinks of it (not often), she'll use a little coconut oil, but other than that, that's it.

Have any of you ever NOT used moisturizer and still saw progress?

*I use DOVE leave-in moisture mist (I stocked up on it), but after a few days, my ends appear frizzy...and I don't like that look...

I made the mistake of moisturizing every day when I first started. My fine hair became limp. I noticed that I don’t need to moisturize every day because my hair is not dry and I deep condition with every wash. If your hair starts to feel dry just use a very little dab of moisturizer on the ends (2 fingertips) and 1 fingertip of oil or serum.

That worked for me.

I used water and oil in a spray bottle and spray my ends every night and roll on a magnetic roller(s). My ends stay moisturized and smooth, and has a nice curl to it everyday.

I shampoo and condtion once a week. If my hair is feeling dry I will use a spray bottle mix of water, oil, aloe vera juice and glycerin.

Pre LHCF I did not use moisturizer. My hair is also fine and I liked my bouncy swing. I too was at chin length. But I never made it to SL. Not once. My hair would always dry up and break off before it hit SL. So, now I use a light moisturizer (EVCO). I still get my swing with that.

when i wear my hair down and straight, i try not to put more than 1/2 a dime sized amount of anything on it to style, and i won't put a thing on it as long as it's down. my hair is SUPER fine, and even the lightest serums weigh it down.

but i'll gob moisturizer all over it if i'm wearing it in a ponytail or a bun.

I use a very light moisturizer - Profectiv Anti-breakage every two - three nights and it keeps my hair moisturized. When I don't moisturize, it's really light and bouncy but weaker.

I don't really apply any product to my hair.

But I do have to cowash every three days to keep the moisture/protein balance.

On the days I cannot cowash, I dry braid out by braiding and spritzing with water-infusium-giovanni direct-jojoba oil mixture. I can never leave out protein.

Hey Ladies. I use a little Moroccian Oil. It is the lightest moisturizer in the world & has a nice shine. I have been know to use a little coconut oil my heavy-handedness got he best of me with the coconut oil & it was slick city. I had to start over. The Morrocian oil is great for shine & weight. IMO

I do not moisturize my hair when I wear it straight or in a loose rollerset. If it gets dry, I wash and DC

If I wear it curly I will add moisturizer after 3 or 4 days. I will use Mizani H20 or Paul Mitchell the Conditioner and a dab of coconut oil.

I don't go over a week without washing. My hair gets pretty oily in it's own.

I have very fine hair and I moisturize daily. I noticed that my hair gets really oily and dry by day 4 (I wash my hair once a week). I'm now (because of this thread) thinking about only lightly moisturizing when my hair feels dry rather than caking on the moisturizer even when my hair feels moist.

I was using NTM everyday, but that did nothing for my hair and it was extremely dry. I liked NTM because it didn't weigh my hair down, but I have dry hair so I need something more oily, unlike the NTM which is pretty watery. Back when I was using ORS olive oil lotion, my hair grew like a weed and was never dry so I'm back to using it. I use about a dime size amount, and since it's pretty heavy, I don't need to moisturize everyday. Probably every other day though.

I've moved to deep conditioning 1 x week. That is enough to keep my hair moisturized. When I used creamy leave-ins everyday I didn't need to deep condition and my hair was weighed down and stiff.

If I use leave-ins I the kind that is made for wet/damp hair thats been working just fine for me.

I don't use moisturizers. I wash and deep condition to keep my hair moisturized. When my hair begins to feel dry then I know its time to wash again. Also I believe its important to keep your porosity in check, which I do weekly.

My hair is very fine and I use a water based moisturizer every night. And I spray a few pumps of Dove Moisture spray on my hair after. If I skip a day of that my hair would be hard and brittle. But now my hair is really mushy and last night I lost alot of hair. I'm going to have to do a protein treatment.

I never moisturize my hair .....it does not take much to weigh my hair down and I think it is doing just fine without moisturizers...

As far as that lady - when I had a chin-length bob, I never used moisturizer, either; however, keep in mind that she probably trims her hair very often, so dead/ dry ends are not an issue for her. If she was growing her hair (especially wearing it down), she would probably need to add some moisture to her ends.

With that said, no I don't moisturize my "fine" strands every day because it would weigh my hair down, especially when I am wearing it straight. Even in a bun, I don't like to layer on lots of product. It just doesn't seem necessary as long as I am regularly deep conditioning. When I need it, a tiny bit of mango butter goes a long way.

Okay, I see my problem, I'm using too much product. I'm gonna try using less and see if I can have less weighed down hair.

But now my hair is really mushy and last night I lost alot of hair. I'm going to have to do a protein treatment

Pookaloo, I am having this exact problem. I never realized the damage I was doing by applying moisture so frequently. I am using Garnier Length and Strength anti-breakage leave-in and it is helping.

Back