Fine Haired Ladies: What type of protein are you using and how often?

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
How often are you using protein?

What type is it mainly? Silk, Wheat, Oat etc.

What strength? (light, medium/strong)

What product?

I've always used some type of protein, but I think I may need to up my use to weekly...possibly a light/medium protein weekly and a hard protein every 6 weeks or whenever my hair feels like it needs it. My light protein is Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin Reconstructerizer, or Silk Dreams Mocha Silk Infusion. My hard protein is Komaza Care Protein Strengthener. I also have several other protein things due to umm...research. :look:

Hairveda Acai Berry Phyto, which I consider light
Shea Moisture Tahitian Noni & Monoi mask, which I feel is medium, the matching weekly treatment (I feel is light)
SheScentIt Okra (I feel is light).

ETA: I consider a treatment light when I don't need to use a moisturizing DC afterward. The only ones I use a moisturizing DC afterward are the Shea Moisture mask and the Komaza. Everything else I don't need to.

NaturallyATLPCH

What product?

I've always used some type of protein, but I think I may need to up my use to weekly...possibly a light/medium protein weekly and a hard protein every 6 weeks or whenever my hair feels like it needs it. My light protein is Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin Reconstructerizer, or Silk Dreams Mocha Silk Infusion. My hard protein is Komaza Care Protein Strengthener. I also have several other protein things due to umm...research. :look:

Hairveda Acai Berry Phyto, which I consider light
Shea Moisture Tahitian Noni & Monoi mask, which I feel is medium, the matching weekly treatment (I feel is light)
SheScentIt Okra (I feel is light).

ETA: I consider a treatment light when I don't need to use a moisturizing DC afterward. The only ones I use a moisturizing DC afterward are the Shea Moisture mask and the Komaza. Everything else I don't need to.

I wish I could get this protein thing down, :lol:.

I started using anything...ANYTHING with protein every other week with a Reconstructor every 6 weeks or so.

I use a moisturizing DC (Jessicurl) every other week

I use something with protein (hydrolized wheat or even silk which I consider light protein for me) every other week. Some things in my stash include LACE Naturals Brahmi Deep Treatment and Texas Natural Supply Conditioning Base, and a couple of APB DCs. The next ones I order from her I will request them be protein free (no silk amino acids).

My hardcore right now is SSI Okra Reconstructor. Once I use that up, I think I may get Aphogee or something on the ground. I use a Reconstructor every time I take my braids or marley twists out. It's hardcore for me because it feels soft but strong with very little breakage when styling my hair.

This routine has helped me keep a balance.

I don't plan on buying anymore conditioners until I use these up.

Although I had looked at that Acai Berry Phyto :sekret:

Last edited:

krissyhair

I have the finest of baby fine hair. I never grew out of it. Even though it's kinky and long, it still fights damage. I don't use any kind of special protein treatment, only my shampoo, conditioner and oils.

I have heard though, that there is no such thing as a real "moisture deep conditioner." The penetrating properties of commercial deep conditioners are all meant to add protein to your hair.

NaturallyATLPCH

I have the finest of baby fine hair. I never grew out of it. Even though it's kinky and long, it still fights damage. I don't use any kind of special protein treatment, only my shampoo, conditioner and oils.

I have heard though, that there is no such thing as a real "moisture deep conditioner." The penetrating properties of commercial deep conditioners are all meant to add protein to your hair.

krissyhair, this is interesting. Where did you read this?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I reconstruct almost every week.

Vatika Egg Mask (obviously egg protein)--medium
AO Island Naturals (almond + wheat proteins)--light
SM Antibreakage Mask (vegetable protein)--medium

I also make my own butter styler with silk protein.

PJaye

It all depends upon my hair’s needs and how big of a protein boost it requires:

Light Boost
– DC with Silicon Mix, ORS Replenishing, Nairobi Humecta-Sil, HV Methi Sativa
- Apply Mill Creek Biotin/Aphogee 2 Minute for 20 minutes before DCing
- Do a semi-permanent rinse with Adore

Medium boost
– Condition with SSI Okra/Fortifying for a several hours or overnight
- Saturate the hair with Neutral Protein Filler before applying a DC

A Good, Hard Kick
- Apply Komaza Protein Strengthener and allow to air dry.

For me, a treatment must contain at least keratin or collagen (preferably both).

All strengths and sizes.

What product?
See above.

krissyhair

Here it is. The whole article is good, but the part I'm talking about is the section on "deep penetrating conditioners"

krissyhair

http://www.happi.com/contents/view_...ormulating-non-traditional-hair-conditioners/

Deep Penetrating Conditioner

Deep penetrating (sometimes also known as restructuring) conditioners are often formulated with components such as protein or dl panthenol which claim to improve tensile strength.6 This product type is typically clear, water-thin and packaged in an ampule designed for one-time use. The ampule typically contains 10-20ml of the product.

The user massages the conditioner into the hair and does not rinse for several minutes allowing the product to completely penetrate the hair fibers. Because damaged hair is quite porous, a greater amount of the conditioner will be absorbed into the part of the hair shaft that requires the most conditioning.

In the following formula, a quaternized protein, cocodimonium hydroxyl-propyl hydrolyzed wheat protein, which claims to provide conditioning, moisturizing, enhances luster and improves tensile strength is the primary conditioner.7 The isostearamidopropyl morpholine lactate provides improved lubricity.

Deep Penetrating Conditioner
Ingredient %Wt.
Cocodimoinium hydroxypropyl 3.0
hydrolyzed wheat protein (25%)
Isostearamidopropyl morpholine 2.0
lactate (25%)
Lactic acid (88%) q.s. to pH 4.0
Preservative q.s.
Water, fragrance q.s. to 100.0

Procedure:
Add the conditioners to water and blend until clear. Adjust pH to 4.0 with lactic acid. Add preservatives, fragrance and fill.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
As a treatment, I use it every 4-8 weeks depending on how much breakage I see. Otherwise, I tend to use protein containing products regularly (smoothing conditioner, some moisturizing DCs [Silk Dreams, Darcy's Botanicals], and leave-ins).

Mostly hydrolyzed wheat, silk, or keratin. Some collagen & oat.

Use mostly light, medium, and occasional hard.
ETA- KCPHS is becoming a little stronger on my hair (in a good way) so it's now my hard protein

What product?
LIGHT- Silk Dreams Mocha Silk Infusion
MEDIUM- CHI Keratin Mist
HARD- Komaza Care Protein Hair Strengthener

Last edited:

JudithO

Eery single week. My hair loves hydrolyzed silk the best. Commercial conditioner -My best is ORS replenishing, but I currently use a homemade DC with hydrolyzed silk.

mshoneyfly

Anything with keratin tames my fine hair; tangles, knots, NG and all. I use silk sparingly bc it gives a LOT of strength and causes me some mild overload. I can use keratin every week with good results. I have rinse outs, leave-ins and dc's

I LOVE this HHJ!!

ManeStreet

Every 2 weeks

Medium I guess

What product?

Joico kpak reconstructer

gn1g

^^ idk yogurt was a protein. hmmm

i recently cleaned out my cabinets and found motions silk protein and like it.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
There are a few areas of my hair that's fine (edges and entire perimeter) but I mostly use protein simply because my natural hair loooooves it, I have bleached highlights and 6 inches of relaxed ends, so I need it to keep my hair strong and thriving.

I clarify and do a treatment every other month.

What type is it mainly? Collagen

What strength? Hard

What product? Aphogee 2 step

I find as long as I do the 2 step treatment every other month, I can just focus on moisturizing products in between treatments. However if I happen to use heat in between treatments, I always follow it up with the Aphogee 2 Min Keratin conditioner. My hair loves keratin!

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Thanks for the responses ladies! I think I will use a light protein (Acai Berry Phyto or Mocha Silk Infusion) as a light weekly treatment. If I need more than that, I'll probably use my Komaza, Okra, or Shea Moisture. I'll use my moisturizing dcers for after the Komaza and Shea Moisture.

JJamiah

I use Dudleys DRC, as needed. I normally don't use another but in between if a lighter treatment is needed, I use Dudley Hair Rebuilder.

Ann0804

How often are you using protein? I don't have a set schedule, I just choose something with protein if I haven't in a while.

What type is it mainly? Silk, Wheat, Oat etc. I use them all- I don't have a favorite.

What strength? (light, medium/strong) I prefer light or medium proteins. I don't have much luck using hard proteins since I find they make my hair shed, or form little/tiny knots

What product?
I use Darcy's pumpkin seed, AO fast food leave-in, Shea Moisture anti breakage, wen products.

PureSilver

How often are you using protein? Every wash which is like once a week

Collagen +Keratin

I think its medium but i recently switched to hard.

What product?
At first i was using DE vitamin restore treatment and it didn't seem to do as much as i wanted to. Last weekend i did Aphogee 2 step and my hair is doing 97% better. I be sticking to the Aphogee 2 step every 6 weeks and use the Vitamin restore weekly/biweekly

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I use Megatek condish weekly plus a few drops of SSA mixed in. It's considered a "strong" protein altho with my hair it's acts like medium protein.

tallowah

I will be treating my hair later today.I have natural yogurt.How long should I leave it on for?
Thanks in advance Ladies:grin: