Fine Haired Ladies who relax

OneInAMillion

My hair is fine in texture, and will overprocesses easily if the relaxer is left on too long. Although fine, I have a lot of strands, and texturizing has helped maintain my thickness. However, I have an underprocessed section in the middle that is causing breakage and haulting my progress. I know because that's the section that is always shorter than the rest of my hair, even weeks after trimming. I'm in desperate need of some advice. I wanted to cut my hair off last nite because I was so frustrated.

1. Should I get a corrective relaxer?
  2. For those of you that relax to percentages...can I just ask for a certain percentage if I go to a professional?
  3. Are there fine haired ladies out there that relax successfully and still maintain their thickness?
  4. Should I ask for a strand test?

I would relax myself, but I'm nervous because I can't even do a rollerset without problems (I've been trying for years to get this down).

I'd just like to see some progress, but I'm not getting anywhere with my hair in this difficult stage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

RabiaElaine

Hi I'm fine haired. I also texlax to about 70-75%. The first time I was texlaxed it was a little too underprocessed for me, so I went to another salon (Michelle's in midtown Manhattan). The stylist there named Violet (she's Jamaican) did my hair. I told her I didn't want to be bone straight, I wanted to maintain my natural curls for thickness, but more relaxed than the stylist before had done it. She did exactly what I wanted. I used Affirm Fiberguard Mild. The thing is I don't think that relaxer could ever really totally straighten my hair, so I guess I'm kind of safe.

I would go to a stylist and explain what you want, if they seem in the least bit confused or like their not listening, move on. Watch them and the time like a hawk, once you find someone you trust. I know some ladies put oil into their relaxers, I believe it helps to slow down the relaxer action so that it doesn't overprocess, you might want to ping Sistaslick.

I wish I could be of more help :perplexed .

OneInAMillion

Hi Rabia,

Thanks for your advice...I guess I have to shop around for someone who knows what they're doing, and who I feel comfortable enough with.

T

tgaski2

Wait! I have fine hair that is texturized. I asked my stylist to just loosen the curl because I know my hair is prone to breakage when taken too striaght. I would try a corrective relaxer and some treatments before cutting. Think of it this way. If you are willing to cut it off and you try something that doesn't work, what do you have to lose other than a little time and money. I think that's worth it to save your head of hair that may not be as bad off as you think. Maybe some ladies in your area with fine hair can make a stylist recommendation. Hope this helps!

OneInAMillion

tgaski2 said:
Wait! I have fine hair that is texturized. I asked my stylist to just loosen the curl because I know my hair is prone to breakage when taken too striaght. I would try a corrective relaxer and some treatments before cutting. Think of it this way. If you are willing to cut it off and you try something that doesn't work, what do you have to lose other than a little time and money. I think that's worth it to save your head of hair that may not be as bad off as you think. Maybe some ladies in your area with fine hair can make a stylist recommendation. Hope this helps!

Yeah, I think I'm going to ask them to relax my curl a little further. I've tried treatments (porosity control, mtg) anything to make the underprocessed parts more manageable. So far, the only thing that helps is rollersets and blowing my roots, but I was trying to cut back on direct heat.

HighlyFavored1

I'm in a very similar boat. After years of regular strength lye relaxers, I finally accepted the fact that they were simply making my hair bone straight, which is just no good for my fine/thin hair. Problem is, my past two touch ups were mild relaxers that give me the whole "texlaxed" result. But it just makes me feel like my hair is underprocessed. It's harder to handle and detangle for rollersets, which is just going to lead to breakage. I want straight, but not bone straight results. I don't know a solution, but for my next relaxer (mid August) I am going to attempt to get straight results from Phyto Index I, and I will have the stylist put it on my new growth and put it on these newest few inches that I feel need a corrective.