Fine-Haired Naturals: Best Practices for Growth, Retention, Maintenance

PaperClip

Looking for a catch-all thread for tips on products and techniques to maximize these delicate tresses. Appreciate product recommendations for shampoos, conditioners, styling products, and techniques for product application, etc. Thank you!

ThursdayGirl

A couple of the things that I picked up from my favorite long haired nappies are to :

#1. wash my hair in twists. While my hair is already parted because its it twists, its easier to get to my scalp, and the hair really does get washed by squeezing soapy water through the twists. I did the same thing with conditioner... although the conditioner was a little diluted. I was really shocked that it worked. The added bonus is the hair is already detangled after the wash etc. is done.

#2: Put it in a simple style and leave it alone! I am trying t get away with only washing every two weeks. (of course I freshen things up in between).

I lose the most hair when I have to wrestle with my tresses-esp. on wash day. These two tips have really reduced my fight.

SEMO

My hair is fine, especially in the front, but I've found a few things that help me. First, I almost never brush my hair (w/ the except of the denman brush used in the shower for gentle detangling---but I'm even cutting back on that). I tie my hair down to get it to lay flat. I don't try to comb/brush my hair once it's dried. I only style or work w/ wet hair 1-2x/week then leave it alone in between.

As far as products, Garnier Fructis products for curly hair (shampoo, condiotioner, and leave-in) work great for me. I use their leave after every wash and it helps me keep curl definition, maintain moisture, and gives shine. I love it! :p

And right now I'm using Boundless Tresses growth serum to try to thicken up my hairline (naturally the thinnest part). I took before pics and will take an after pic in another week or so to see if I can tell a difference.

ETA: Dove moisture therapy conditioner is great as well---very creamy.

As far as product application goes, I just squueze my leave-in in my hand in quarter sized amounts and smooth through my hair in about 4-5 sections (no parting, just grabbing equal sections).

Last edited:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I am painfully learning that too much moisture and oils is a no-no. My hair not only soaks it up, it also leave my hair dry-looking and dull, flat and lifeless. My hair loves rollersets and airdrying. (NO HEAT!!!) With the airdrying, however, I use a light leave-in like Giovanni Direct Leave-In, then seal with an oil (either Alma, Shikaiki or other *light* oil). Make sure the oil is light.

Sadly, I'm also learning that daily baggying is a no-no as well. I've decided to baggy every other night.

And finally, my fine tresses CANNOT take hard proteins like Aphrogee, Infusium 23, or any other very hard protein. However, it *loves* cones and silky, softer proteins.

Also, thanks to HoneyDew and others, Fermodyl Formula 07 Extra Strength for Fine, Delicate, Porous Hair is AWESOME!! Excellent treatment with no breakage or shedding. I also use Formula 619 for moisture, dry hair. Formula 233 is also for porous, dry or damaged hair, but I prefer 07 and 619.

http://rouxblue.com/fermodyl.asp

Other tips that work well for my hair:
  • No braids! Braids pull on my hair and create too much tension, esp. on my very fragile edges
  • Trim ends as needed. I think fine ladies tend to have the most fragile ends of all. Baby those ends
  • No oil on scalp unless it's light. Boundless Tresses is fine
  • Fine ladies like us can stretch relaxers longer, but relax if too much breakage
  • My hair LOVES steam rollers and rollersets
  • Try silk or satin rollers. These are easily found at Sally's or CVS.
  • Flexi-rod sets make my hair look fuller and with more body, but protect ends with loose oils
  • Don't use too many products!!! They weight your hair down, cause build-up, dries out hair, makes hair look limp and dull. Clarify every two weeks or so. (I'm convinced that fine ladies have to clarify more often, too!)
That's all I got for now. I'd like to hear from other fine ladies... ;)

cutiebe2

Serenity_Peace- I believe these are supposed to be tips for naturals but nevertheless a lot of your tips still apply

I agree with Thursdaygirl that washing it twist/braids it a plus....when my hair is not braided I try to keep it plaited as much as possible.

My vain self still brushed my hair everyday when it is not in braids so that I can get it into a ponytail. I am going to braid it up this week because that is better than just brushing it

shampooing after conditioning will help keep the hair light

oil the scalp with JBCO

Artemis

ThursdayGirl said:
A couple of the things that I picked up from my favorite long haired nappies are to :

#1. wash my hair in twists. While my hair is already parted because its it twists, its easier to get to my scalp, and the hair really does get washed by squeezing soapy water through the twists. I did the same thing with conditioner... although the conditioner was a little diluted. I was really shocked that it worked. The added bonus is the hair is already detangled after the wash etc. is done.

#2: Put it in a simple style and leave it alone! I am trying t get away with only washing every two weeks. (of course I freshen things up in between).

I lose the most hair when I have to wrestle with my tresses-esp. on wash day. These two tips have really reduced my fight.

I am not natural anymore, but when I was, I lived by these rules...It was the only way to live :D The only thing was that my fine strands would tangle up if I kept them twisted longer than a week in certain areas, so I had to be cognizant of that.

PaperClip

Went to a L'oreal demo at the mall and they did some microscopic photos of my hair (wow to technology!) and confirmed what I already knew: thin in diameter, normal in type, dense in abundance, fine in texture and curly in pattern! So here I am....

Now looking for some specific advice/insight/opinions on henna and caring for ends/regular trims. I just scheduled a trim for next week because I think my ends are suffering a bit so I'd appreciate advice on how to care for them between regular trims (every 6-8 weeks?)

Thank you!

JustKiya

Ooohh!! I've missed this one.

I have fine, dense, dry hair. With that said - my thee magical rules are:

1) Moisture, Moisture, Moisture. I baggy nightly with MISTED hair (I think that's important to avoid over moisturizing), and ALL of my conditioners are moisturzing. I deep condition almost every week.

2) Occasionally applications of protien/protien 'like' items. I henna once a month, and do a DC with a protien rich conditioner once a month - 2 weeks away from the henna, so I've got as much time between the two as possible. This has helped a LOT with the tiny broken hairs from the ends.

3) PROTECTIVE STYLES ARE A MUST. Okay, yeah, I'll rock a TWA for a week or so, but oooohhhweee, I KNOW I'm going to pay for it for the next week, week & a half. And for my hair, I HAVE to do it once a week - going any longer, and I'm asking for trouble.

Right now, my products of choice are all cone & petroluem free.

My conditioner is Elasta QP Intense Fortifying Moisture. My hairdressing is either Oyin's Honey Hemp condtioner, plain palm kernal oil, or a CoN hairdressing (the one with carrot oil, but the name is CRAZY long). I was all into the Whipped Pudding, but it's a little too heavy for the warmer weather, I think.

I use REMEDI protien treatment, and FNWL Henna.

My mister is water, glycerin, conditioner, and a little tea tree oil & MTG.

I cowash with either a Cheapie (White Rain or VO5) mixed with either baking soda or citric acid - depending on how dirty my hair feels.

I use either a bone comb, or one of two plastic wide tooth combs.

My goal is to disturb my hair as little as possible - whether I'm applying treatments, moisturizing, etc. It's one of the reasons I LOVE my mister - I can give my hair a GOOD moisturizing without having to wory about distributing everything evenly through.

Urm. I think that's all?

PaperClip

Bumping up AGAIN 'cause I'm having a challenge w/my hair!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

This madness has to stop! As I explained in my earlier post, I know that my hair is fine and dense (lots of thin strands). Ok. Got that. It's about maybe going on 6 inches at the top (stretched it touched the middle of my nose. In fact the perimeter is doing well. It's the crown that has suffered. It's not as long as the perimeter. It's a bit more coarse...it just feels so rough. It's probably 3 inches stretched. It's kinda frustrating.... What to do?

I had been wearing quick weaves and ponytails for convenience. I know that this probably was not helpful for the crown. I'd like to hold off on twists until I achieve more length. I'd like to try a twist out or a roller set at some point, but now I need help with some kind of regular routine since I have slacked off re. deep conditioning, henna-ing, etc.

Current Issues:
--it seems that my hair DOES NOT DO OILS, esp. directly. Wet or dry. Oils of any kind. I think I tried castor oil once in a deep treatment. Maybe that worked...maybe.

--it takes SO LONG for my hair to dry. So when I put product on soaking wet hair, sometimes it is at least 12 hours before it's close to being dry.

--tangled ends. I've only had one trim since my BC last July (I know! Sorry!). I'm scheduled for a trim next week, though. The hairdresser wants to try some kind of rod set on me. I don't want some jherri curl tight fro, though. I just don't want that. Maybe I can get a cornrowed weave at the crown and leave the perimeter out to give the crown a rest.

I'd like to achieve some length this spring/summer so I can maximize protective styles during the colder months. My hair suffered so badly a that time but I didn't know any better.

Please talk to me with some helpful advice! :blush:

guesswho

RelaxerRehab said:
Bumping up AGAIN 'cause I'm having a challenge w/my hair!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

This madness has to stop! As I explained in my earlier post, I know that my hair is fine and dense (lots of thin strands). Ok. Got that. It's about maybe going on 6 inches at the top (stretched it touched the middle of my nose. In fact the perimeter is doing well. It's the crown that has suffered. It's not as long as the perimeter. It's a bit more coarse...it just feels so rough. It's probably 3 inches stretched. It's kinda frustrating.... What to do?

I had been wearing quick weaves and ponytails for convenience. I know that this probably was not helpful for the crown. I'd like to hold off on twists until I achieve more length. I'd like to try a twist out or a roller set at some point, but now I need help with some kind of regular routine since I have slacked off re. deep conditioning, henna-ing, etc.

Current Issues:
--it seems that my hair DOES NOT DO OILS, esp. directly. Wet or dry. Oils of any kind. I think I tried castor oil once in a deep treatment. Maybe that worked...maybe.

--it takes SO LONG for my hair to dry. So when I put product on soaking wet hair, sometimes it is at least 12 hours before it's close to being dry.

--tangled ends. I've only had one trim since my BC last July (I know! Sorry!). I'm scheduled for a trim next week, though. The hairdresser wants to try some kind of rod set on me. I don't want some jherri curl tight fro, though. I just don't want that. Maybe I can get a cornrowed weave at the crown and leave the perimeter out to give the crown a rest.

I'd like to achieve some length this spring/summer so I can maximize protective styles during the colder months. My hair suffered so badly a that time but I didn't know any better.

Please talk to me with some helpful advice! :blush:

Ok my hair looks thick but it wasn't always like that so with thay said, I understand what you are saying, I had the same problem in my early bc, deep condition help me a lot and I see you stopped or haven't ina minute trust me you should start back, and moisturzing and trim the ends, what's your current regime lets see if we could help you, you are too cute you have me laughing lol, lets hear your details regime

PaperClip

guesswho said:
Ok my hair looks thick but it wasn't always like that so with thay said, I understand what you are saying, I had the same problem in my early bc, deep condition help me a lot and I see you stopped or haven't ina minute trust me you should start back, and moisturzing and trim the ends, what's your current regime lets see if we could help you, you are too cute you have me laughing lol, lets hear your details regime

Sigh... (sniffling).... thank you for caring.... I don't want to go backward.... I got discouraged.... the winter was HARSH on my hair.... So I'm not really doing anything. Got tired of buying a bunch of products and all the experimenting to produce the perfect shake and go... but I know it's achievable....

What I used to do was deep condition once a week after shampooing. I was thinking that maybe I wouldn't shampoo so often. When I would try do the shake and go but it hadn't worked out that well, so I would throw on a quick weave.

After the shampoo and DC, I would put on a leave-in conditioner (Beauty Without Cruelty) and then attempt to braid it up to wear a quick weave or pull it back for a ponytail (w/Fantasia IC brown or blue gel). I used to do hennas, but my hair would itch so much (I got the store-bought stuff so maybe I was reacting to that). The Fantasia gel is great for smoothing the hair for a ponytail but for shake and go's and twists, makes my hair quite crunchy....

When I saw the crown really suffering, I just didn't know how to approach treating it. I know that I need to let go of the ponytails for a time to TLC the crown but to me, it's still shorter than I'm comfortable with....

Seemed like misting it helps and I've forgotten how to take care of the hair at night again... don't want to go to bed w/wet hair.

(Sigh....)

glamazon386

RelaxerRehab said:
Current Issues:

My hair doesn't do oils either. :ohwell: I've just learned to avoid nasty oily products. For the most part I just leave my hair alone.

guesswho

Ok chica get a regime together, I'm always tweaking my regime right now I'm over buying products I have to stop that, I basically baby my hair my husband watches me in amazement when I detangle my hair, I take my dear old time, you have to move the ponytail around that helped me a lot I was getting little breakage from leaving it in the same spot, and that cantu shea butter is the bomb that helped a lot also, but please deep condition or try a light protein treatment for now like aphogee 2 minute keratin treatment, wet head doesn't work for my hair but moisturize hair works, taking down my ponytail everyday and massaging some oils in my scalp, and since dlewis rave about amla oil that thing made my hair so strong it was a blessing, you have to try things and see what works for your hair but the key is patience and more patience, I took me a long time to develop it but that has helped me alot

Bublin

RelaxerRehab, i feel your frustration.

I'm 3 months into my 2nd year of being natural. During the first year it seemed like my hair grew like weeds but for the past 3 months its just getting thicker and curlier (dense with thin strands) and not much length.
After all this time my hair still won't all go into a ponytail - and to be honest i'm still completely clueless has to how all you guys pull 6 inches of hair into one :confused: . I use loads of blue IC gel on the sides but i still look like crusty the clown with 4 inches of perimiter hair sticking out....if i wear a scarf to hold it down it doesn't stay put and kind of defeats the object of pulling the hair up. The sides just won't grow :mad: even though i have virtually no breakage.

OK - i've finished moaning.

glamazon386

Bublin said:
RelaxerRehab, i feel your frustration.

I'm 3 months into my 2nd year of being natural. During the first year it seemed like my hair grew like weeds but for the past 3 months its just getting thicker and curlier (dense with thin strands) and not much length.
After all this time my hair still won't all go into a ponytail - and to be honest i'm still completely clueless has to how all you guys pull 6 inches of hair into one :confused: . I use loads of blue IC gel on the sides but i still look like crusty the clown with 4 inches of perimiter hair sticking out....if i wear a scarf to hold it down it doesn't stay put and kind of defeats the object of pulling the hair up. The sides just won't grow :mad: even though i have virtually no breakage.

OK - i've finished moaning.

I'm sorry bublin. Are you doing it on wet hair? What kind of brush are you using?

PaperClip

Sigh.... thank you all for pulling me out of the pit!

I've decided to start over tonight....
--shampoo and deep condition
--braid the crown and leave the perimeter out for this quick weave (because Mother's Day is Sunday and I'm on "Perfect Daughter" alert... Mom (and Dad) are coming to church with me so the hair must be as together as possible (plus Mom's a hairdresser and she AIN'T feeling the natural hair! But that's another convo!).

I suppose I will continue that through next Thursday as I am scheduled for a much-needed trim. The stylist says she has ideas about wanting to blow it out for a ponytail (not really interested in that) or some kind of rod/roller set. Again, I'd rather have more length.... What would be nice if I can get the crown weaved up (I already have the hair I want to use) and maybe twist up the perimeter for a twist-out to blend w/the weave part....

I DO NOT want to go back to depending on hairdressers like I used to back in the day.... At least the weave will keep me away from the hairdresser for a month or so....

Open to ideas/suggestions, etc.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Wow! This is a great thread! It reassures me about some of the things I have discovered as a fine-stranded natural head.

My hair is fine-stranded, VERY dense, wiry, and my hair surprisingly is NOT very porous. My hair doesn't like a lot of products so I don't use a lot of products on my hair. Shampoo, sometimes conditioner, and a moisturizer is all that my hair needs. My hair doesn't like oils either...well actually, oils just don't do anything for my hair. However, this year, I decided to try Infusium 23 leave-in and it stops breakage for my hair! :)

Throughout the 2 years that I've been natural, I have tried so many styles out of boredom and just to switch up. I've done this a little TOO much and that's a no-no. But I have found that the best style for my hair is two-strand twists. This style keeps my hair soft and supple, and I can leave my hair alone (if only I could learn how to leave my hair alone). I just can't find a cute way to style them to where I would be comfortable to leave them in longer than 1 week.

The worst style for my hair (even though I like wearing them): Puffs! They cause unnoticeable breakage around my edges. Any style that requires the use of a ponytail holder or headband is not good for my hair. Braids and other styles like cornrows cause too much stress on my strands as well.

When my hair was shorter, daily wash and gos were fine...now that it's 8-9 inches in length, frequent washing is not so good for my extremely coily fine-stranded hair. I find that airdrying my hair in plaits or big rollers has been best for me. Washing every 1-2 weeks works best for my hair as well. Too much washing cause too much stress on my hair now.

When I wash my hair, I have found that detangling all my hair underneath the flowing water from the shower head works best. Detangling in sections causes breakage for me and it's time consuming. I have to detangle all in one section going back... no breakage and it's quick & easy. I think this is because my hair is very very dense. I allow the water to soak my hair and do most of the detangling before I detangle with my fingers or shower comb. I've been planning on washing in twists, but I haven't got around to doing so because I always take out my twists and do another style before I have the chance to wash my hair in twists! :grin:

And one last thing...combing through dry hair that is not completely stretched out is a no-no. Combing gently through stretched out moisturized hair is fine, but not when it has some kinks/coils in the mix.

Last edited:

glamazon386

Poohbear said:
When I wash my hair, I have found that detangling all my hair underneath the flowing water from the shower head works best. Detangling in sections causes breakage for me and it's time consuming. I have to detangle all in one section going back...no breakage and it's quick & easy. I think this is because my hair is very very dense. I allow the water to soak my hair and do most of the detangling before I detangle with my fingers or shower comb. I've been planning on washing in twists, but I haven't got around to doing so because I always take out my twists and do another style before I have the chance to wash my hair in twists! :grin:

I do this too. And it works for me.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
What has helped me a lot is low manipulation, in-frequent washing because I see the most breakage and shedding while shampooing. I recently found that pre-pooing helps tremendously on reducing breakage while shampooing so I try to do this before every shampoo. I pre-poo with shea butter and wgo, over-night w/ baggy if possible. Also, moisturizing daily is a must.

MeechUK

MeechUK
If I've learnt anything from this forum its the importance of DCing. Sistaslick suggested DCing before pooing and this has been instrumental to my routine. Also her moisture/protein balance advice has been great. Thanks Sistaslick.

I use as many products as I can which do not contain harsh chemicals only natural ingredients. Products that I use that do contain some chemicals I always clarify with an ACV rinse to remove as much of the product to avoid leaving a chemical residue or product build-up after washing. I wash & DC weekly adding natural oils, most of which are also edible and wear a protective style in between washes. I only comb my natural hair when wet or damp. My hair is feeling so strong, silky and soft that I like to touch it. I have now started to massage my scalp more, which is relaxing and I get to feel my hair!

Because I now DC regularly I don't need to use a lot of dressing to maintain my hair's condition just a little coconut oil on the ends every other day to keep them healthy. After I wash my hair I apply a little oil moisturiser and some Beeswax or Indian Hemp.

Oil rinses are a new addition to my routine, which I do every other week. The slip from these are great.

This routine has been working for me for some months now. I have also learnt that I don't need to spend a fortune to maintain my hair's health just better care practices.

sheanu

This is a really great thread! I hope I'm not finding it too late to get replies but which shampoo is best for fine hair?

Phoenix14

great thread, I really needed this! Has anyone been trying to thicken their hair using henna or castor etc?

Imani

Right now I'm doing low manipulation. I only brush or comb my hair every two weeks when I wash and detangle, rest of time it is in plaits under a wig. I do this very carefully in sections after "prepooing" I guess you can call it with Evoo (wet my hair and apply evoo with an applicator bottle while in braids and sit with it under a conditioning cap). and while I'm detangling I keep a spray bottle of water to rewet as needed.

I have been doing this for about 10 months now and seems to be working so far.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Wow, I typed a pretty lengthy response in this thread 6 years ago! And surely didn't stick to what I said back then. I've gone back and forth between regimens and hair styles. Now, I'm trying wash 'n go styles with Long Aid Curl Activator Gel for growth, retention, and maintenance. Hopefully I'll get to waist length at the end of this year!