URGENT!!! HELP NEEDED FOR FINE HEAT DAMAGED HAIR??

Nanyanika

I offered to treat my friends hair, on Friday. It is very fine and slightly damaged through constant use of flat-ironing. She has also lost her hairline due to tight braiding and stress. Would you suggest any oils or cremes, that are excellent for scalp massages in order to stimulate growth? I'd gladly appreciate your suggestions for shampoos, conditioners, leave-ins and treatments to help with the damage and to thicken and give more body to her hair. I'm considering the Aphogee product line.

Please respond!!! Thank-you

ms_kenesha

I'd recommend the Aphogee Damaged Hair Treatment every 6-8wks and a moisturizing conditioner every week like Elucence Emergency Moisture Repair Treatment or the Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum. I'd recommend she massage castor oil or vitamin E into her hairline.

Happy to Help

Nanyanika

Thanks, ms_kenesha, your a hair saver, I was also thinking of using the Aphogee treatment on her hair.

EmeraldSky

Re: URGENT!!! HELP NEEDED FOR FINE HEAT DAMAGED HA

For her hairline I would recommend either Organic Root Stimulator's temple balm or a mixture of castor oil, jojoba and a few drops of peppermint and rosemary oil, this mixture has worked really well for me and I'm sure it's been discussed in depth on the board so if you do a search there are some specific measurements and recipies.
Since her hair is fine, Nexxus headress leave-in is great for thin or fine hair, Keracare's humecto condtioner is moisturizing but not heavy and a protein treatment every 5-6 weeks to help make her hair stronger and keep it that way, I would recommend Aphogee's or Nexxus's emergencee, a milder one is ORS hair mayo which can be used more often than other protein treatments like emergencee. Also if her hair is dry Elasta QP's mango butter might be good, it wasn't heavy enough for my hair, but on my friend who has fine hair it's really moisturizing.

Nanyanika

EmeraldSky, thank-you for your advice. I'll do a search to find the specific receipes and measurements, to use on her hairline

UmSumayyah

no advice, just wanted to say when I read the topic and the poster I was afraid that you had pressed out your hair and overdid it or something.
*Whew!* (breathing a sigh of relief for your beautiful mane)

Tracy

How nice of you to help your friend!

For shampoos - fine hair tends to go limp easily - esp. when it's damaged. Lanza Protein Plus, Home Health Olive Oil and any of the Herbal Essences Shmapoos all claen my hair without stripping but ensure that my fine hair gets clean enough to still look clean when i'm done washing. This is not the case with many standard "moisturizing shampoos".

As to the conditioners - I have a bot of a different opinion. As a fellow fine hair I recommend a gentler approach. Fine hair can react much more strongly to seemingly harmless products like Aphoghee - fine hair break quite easily and this might be too strong a treatment for her just yet. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea or won't work - just that it might be a good idea to work your way up to a treatment of this kind on her, and see what her hair can handle first.

If her hair is not breaking uncontrollably (hair all over the floor and shoulders when combing dry then you MAY just have some time to work with. If it is breaking this severely - then I say absolutely start with a concentrated protein treatment like Aphoghee. Note: I personally can't use Aphoghee - I use Nexxus Emergencee for my concentrated protein treatments and only directly after a relaxer - every 2-3 months. I use this one and not the Aphoghee because the Nexxus doesn't get hard on the hair while Aphoghee does. That crispiness that Aphoghee requires could be too much for her fine damaged hair to handle. This is true of mine. I even limit the Nexxus, as I said before, to once every few months to be safe. My hair is dyed, relaxed and higlighted several times over - so this should work well for your friends heat damaged hair as well.

La Maur Bone Marrow, Mermade, HI PRO PAC, Dudley's Hair Rebuilder and Jherri Redding's Protein Pac are all milder alternatives - they all contain a good amount of protein, but all have moisturzing qualities as well and will give the benefit of the protein without many of the downfalls one can encounter when treating the hair in this manner. I would always follow with a good mositurzing treatment as well. Both can be applied for 30 minutes each - with or without heat. I do it weekly. When my hair feels really good and healthy and like it's not compaining about anything,
I limit that to every two weeks and treat it with moisture the rest of the time (mois. conds.). For mositurzing conditioners I like NACIDIT Olive Oil Conditioner. If that's too hard to fnd the Keracare Humecto recommendation should work just as well.

I always use a good detangling conditioner (I use Pantene DMR) to detangle well and leave the hair soft before rollersetting.

Airdrying and rollersetting is obviously benenficial and is preferable to direct heat. But you already know that.

Nanyanika

UmSumayyah, girl i'm LOL, sorry that I gave you the wrong impression

[ QUOTE ]

*Whew!* (breathing a sigh of relief for your beautiful mane)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nanyanika

Thanks Tracy, that is a wealth of information. I was also contemplating whether or not the Aphogee treatment would be the correct choice for her fine hair, I will find out about the other protein products you mentioned. I personally, choose to air dry my hair, however I'm concerned that she may still want me to blow-dry the hair after treatment, which is not advisable considering the heat damage. She is obsessed about having super straight hair. I hope I can convince to stay away from heat, so that she'll have healthier hair, instead of straight heat damaged hair.

Tracy

Can u rollerset her hair for her Den1? To show her how easy it is (and how much better her hair can look?)? Maybe if she SEES that she can have the look she wants without all the damage, she'll be easier to bring into the fold...

Sorry for all those typos before by the way...LORD!

BTW - your journey is quite inspiring, and your hair is BEAUTIFUL...
Grow on girl!

Integrity

i agree. a consistent shampoo and deep conditioning regimen is the first thing she needs.

Nanyanika

Tracy, I've never tried doing a rollerset before, if its not too much trouble could you explain how its done? Thanks