Finger Combing Convert!

SmilingElephant

Okay y'all....so i've been doing this for about 2 weeks now. I used to believe that my hair would NOT survive if i did not use my widetooth comb at least once a week to thoroughly detangle and de-shed my hair.:nono:

Boy was i wrong!:grin:

It kinda happened by accident because...i was getting tired of the sectioning in multiple sections and the comb and the severely long amounts of time spent in the shower...so one day i decided to just do 2 sections and use a thick conditioner and raked my fingers from ends to roots in the shower. I got all my shed hairs out and i haven't had a problem with ssk's or massive tangles yet!:yep:

Anybody else recently convert to fingercombing? My shower comb seriously looks sad and lonely in my shower!:ohwell: I should take it out:grin:

SimJam

u know I was thinking about this over the weekend. Been doing curly girl for 1 week now and have been through 3 finger combing sessions .... its surprisingly easy.

just need to keep my cuticles in tip top shape so I dont snag my hair

melissa-bee

I think I've been doing this for about a year now.
My combs and denman brush are gathering dust somewhere.

temfash

I finger comb mainly, I lose less hair and I seem to retain more length I have fine 4b porous medium density hair.

HanaKuroi

I have started using vinyl gloves to finger comb. Sometimes my nails will snag my hair so I would throw on some gloves.

It also glides smoothly over my hair. Slippy.

I want to start a challenge about handling bare hair with gloves. I think it makes a difference. I tried using gloves on one half of my hair and no gloves on the other half. It was easier and less sheds/breaks.

MzSwift

I've never thought about using gloves! I usually just make sure that I file my nails really well and oil any rough spots on my fingers.

SmilingElephant

I have started using vinyl gloves to finger comb. Sometimes my nails will snag my hair so I would throw on some gloves.

I want to start a challenge about handling bare hair with gloves. I think it makes a difference. I tried using gloves on one half of my hair and no gloves on the other half. It was easier and less sheds/breaks.

That is very interesting! When i read that i was like..this woman can be makin money RIGHT now. You should invent fingercombing gloves! They can come in different colors and patterns...and can be reusable!:yep:

I never thought of gloves either! I'm like MzSwift, just file my nails to keep them from snagging.

alove15

Finger combing is awesome! I've been cg/finger comb only for a little more than a month now. I think it's a lot less stressful on the hair since the tangles are thoroughly separated. I also feel comfortable cowashing as often as I want to now that I finger comb. I do have to keep my nails filed and make sure there's no snagging though. Finger detangling before using a comb or denman to smooth can be a good option as well.

AltheaGarden

I haven't used a comb or brush in 15 months. I always finger comb when I have free time. I haven't had an issue with knots or anything.

Africangal

I love finger combing even on my straight hair, less manipulation. I find that if i have a knot I snap more hair using the comb than if i used my fingers. It worked really well for me when I was natural.

faithVA

[USER=324511 said:
HanaKuroi[/USER];16099133]I have started using vinyl gloves to finger comb. Sometimes my nails will snag my hair so I would throw on some gloves.

That's a fabulous idea. Thank You. My nails are sooo raggedy from doing my hair. I will try this out on Wednesday when I cowash. :kiss:

faithVA

I have been doing the CG method for 4 weeks and finger combing. I can't say that I'm in love yet but it is getting easier. For right now my hair seems to tangle more with finger combing and the more I comb the more my hair seems to tangle :ohwell: And I seem to have more SSKs as a result. I'm not really sure if I get less breakage or shedding. My ends don't seem to like finger combing.

But I plan on continuing my trial for another 4 weeks and hopefully it will improve. Definitely going to try the gloves :yep:

India*32

I have been doing the CG method for 4 weeks and finger combing. I can't say that I'm in love yet but it is getting easier. For right now my hair seems to tangle more with finger combing and the more I comb the more my hair seems to tangle :ohwell: And I seem to have more SSKs as a result. I'm not really sure if I get less breakage or shedding. My ends don't seem to like finger combing.

But I plan on continuing my trial for another 4 weeks and hopefully it will improve. Definitely going to try the gloves :yep:

I've never thought about using gloves! I usually just make sure that I file my nails really well and oil any rough spots on my fingers.

I love your afro.

fancypants007

I just started fingercombing since last month using Ciparano (don't know if I spelled her name right) method and for me it's the best thing since american cheese. My hair has fine strands like Ciparano but I have so much volume. I was amazed at how well my fingers detangled my hair. I could not seem to retain my ends because I think in truth I was shredding and tearing away at my delicate hair even though I was very gentle in combing. I am doing an experiment and will see where my hair will be in length in the next 4 months due to not combing, but fingercombing my hair. Stay tuned!

winona

I haven't used a comb for about a month and don't think I will use one for a long while. Now I am :O with all the seamless comb and "special" brushes I don't intend on using.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I'm relaxed but I've been finger combing almost a year and it's the best thing since sliced bread:yep: I initially thought it to be a crazy idea...now I think it's crazy not to finger comb:lol:

Julessy

I am starting to use my wide tooth comb less and less these days...I try to finger detangle in sections before I cowash/shampoo. It really does wonders because you can actually feel the tangles & knots with your fingers and take care of it yourself without having the comb snag or break your hair off. I love finger detangling to be honest.

MzSwift

faithVA

HOW do you fingercomb? When I do it, I don't rake my fingers through my hair. After I saw Sera do it on WL hair, I knew I could do it on my lil' stuff. LoL.

I use the same technique that she uses to detangle in this video. Watch how she separates the hair and pulls out shed hair at the same time. That's how I finger detangle as well -- on moisturized dry hair and with oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSlq0kvkwWo&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLD350370AA244615B

Hope this helps!

Kn0ttyByNatur3

I was thinking about giving this a try with gloves this weekend after I saw a video of WhoIsSugar finger detangling her hair. She really gave me hope on me giving my hair a try.

I just hope I have patience lol

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=171298 said:
MzSwift[/USER];16109873]@faithVA

HOW do you fingercomb? When I do it, I don't rake my fingers through my hair. After I saw Sera do it on WL hair, I knew I could do it on my lil' stuff. LoL.

I use the same technique that she uses to detangle in this video. Watch how she separates the hair and pulls out shed hair at the same time. That's how I finger detangle as well -- on moisturized dry hair and with oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSlq0kvkwWo&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLD350370AA244615B

Hope this helps!

I am fingercombing more like WhoIsSugar or other curly girls. When I am finger combing, I am not trying to detangle. At that point I have already detangled and removed the shed hairs. So when I am finger combing I am stretching the hair and raking the hair trying to get more curl definition. So they actually serve 2 different purposes. Even though I'm 4b my hair is easy to detangle. But my hair isn't that long either.

Marand13

I always fingercomb, it is very effective. But I do detangle with my denman every month or so depending on how I am wearing my hair and if I am taking down a protective style.

faithVA

Still working on my finger combing technique. It seems that alternating raking with smoothing helps reduce my tangles. So tonight I tried raking with one hand and smoothing with the other. And I also tried raking with both hands and after a few passes, smoothing several times. Both made moving through my hair much easier. So i will be doing this in the future. Rake, rake, rake, rake, smooth, smooth, smooth

I am hoping some time in the future my ends calm down

Kn0ttyByNatur3

I tried finger combing today after my wash and I hated it!! Seems like I made my hair even more tangled and lost the same amount of hair as I would when I am using a comb.

I don't think finger combing is for me. :nono:

Ogoma

I use my fingers first, but can't seem to stop going through with my comb to make sure. The good thing is after using my fingers, the comb just slides through, but it is a must.

D.Lisha

This is usually my "go-to" method when I reach about 6-8weeks post.
However, recently i've been combing regularly after washes (i've only done a co-wash, and I'm doing my 'poo wash tonight). Seems as though I'm experiencing some unnecessary shedding :nono:
So to combat this, I plan on doing a hard-core protein treatment tonight, followed by adopting the finger-combing method frm here on out...hopefully this helps eliminate the issue.